1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Sep 9, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Derek French, Technical Producer

Target Audience

Hey, here is a thought. With Bioware being pretty darn successful why don't have Dragon Age be the beginning of a new age of Bioware by publishing it yourself.
    I've made that suggestion in a number of threads and I think it comes down to a self-confidence problem on Bioware's behalf.
    Hehehehe. Uh, no. To become a publisher, we need to add all the departments that a publisher has that we do not, including a sales force, tech support team, shippers, external marketing, etc., etc. And we would do this for a single title.

Stanley Woo, Quality Assurance

Target Audience
    What it seems to boil down to is the concept of reality vs. verisimilitude. Watching people get shot or hurt is not in itself very entertaining to me, but put into a fantastical context, such as a video game or movie or book, it could be very entertaining. As long as it's plausible and internally consistent, who cares if there's sound in space or there's no gun recoil or that guy survived a multi-tank pile-up or shot fireballs from his hands?

In GTA, you can wreck as many cars as you like, but you're fine. Why not complain about the lack of crash physics on the human body, or push for seatbelt rules in crashes? In Fallout, why isn't food and drinkable water (or lack thereof) included in the game? No hunger, no dehydration, no food quality rules. Is that realism?

Would all of those suggestions be fun? If you could die in a single car crash in GTA, would that be fun? If you died of starvation during an overland trek, would that be fun? Maybe, maybe not. Even GTA didn't have graphic depictions of sex (or nudity) or senseless atrocity. Fallout didn't have explicit sexuality or a barrage of gratuitous language. But I don't see people gunning for "More gore! More gore! More gore!" in GTA or Fallout.

Sure, developers could make a game that mirrored real life in every way, right down to hunger, chance of indigestion, a stray bullet killing the player in an instant, tripping on a rock, or body odour. But where's the fun in that? I haven't seen a single verifiable claim in this thread that the inclusion of more violence and/or sex makes a game sell any better or worse. It's ludicrous to make that claim because there's no control group or product. One cannot compare the sales of GTA or Fallout versus Doom 3 or Starcraft because they're all different games and have vastly different conventions and audiences.

Everyone is free and able to make their opinions known, but please keep in mind that everyone's got their own opinion as to what makes a game sell or not sell, and every person's just as right as any other.

BioWare is in the business of making great RPGs, and I think we kinda know what we're doing on that front. So, why not let us do what we're best at and judge the results for yourselves when it comes out? Then you can all give your opinion on whether the game could have been better with or without more violence and/or sex and/or mature elements. After all, it'll be an incontrovertible fact by then, right? ;)

As Darcy said, we will include as much content as we feel is appropriate, and that doesn't just go for the violence and/or sex factor. That will be for combat, dialogue, rewards, art, animation, cutscenes, sound/music, interface, and memory allocation. BioWare will make the game that we feel is the best for us and for the audience.

But this post is entirely irrelevant as someone will inevitably disagree with me.

:D Ever.

"Making of" DVD
    I think "You can't handle the truth!" is a perfect quote to use in this context.

Some of the stuff we do is so boring that it wouldn't be interesting at all. Who wants to see meeting after meeting after meeting where we decide what colour we should make this character's eyes?

Although a fictionalized account of the development process would be very cool. I nominate Chow Yun-Fat to play me, and Bill Cosby to play Darcy. Dave Gaider would be played by an animatronic robot and Scott Greig would be completely digital. industrial Light and Magic could do our special effects.

Stan: "You'll control this quality assurance department over my dead body, Pajak! Hellstorm omicron boatswain tangent Flava Flav style!" *charges up ultimate attack*

Darcy: "That can be arranged, Woo. The 17-Lambda-Scarlet phase of the project can't fail! It was my late father's favourite phase, so if I have to take you and your government-sanctioned department down, and take the greater Los Angeles area with me, so be it. DARCY PAJAK, TRANSFORM!" *transforms into a giant robot*

Gaider: "No, Darcy! *click, whirrrrrr* You're still too weak! *click, whirrrr* Destroying that group of mutant armadillos left you too vulnerable! *click, whirrrr*"

Darcy: "If I don't make it, Dave, tell my wives that I love them."

*they fight*

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Lol, I think someone could make something along those lines, but as a flash movie. That would be great.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.