1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 2 on XP?

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Ofelix, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    My friend is selling his old Fallout 2 disc, having heard good thing about this game I want to buy it. However would it work on Win XP?

[ August 30, 2005, 22:03: Message edited by: Ofelix ]

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It worked on mine. One of the funnest games I ever played. You may want to check out Fallout also.

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Works on my XP as well. No problems.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I had no problem at all either, Fallout 2 is my favourite game, IMO it's much better than BG2 -that's really something! :)

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It has worked for me.

6. Ofelix

Media:
    then I shall buy it. And there was much rejoicing!

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Rejoicing! :)

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... and then the Chosen One ate his minstrels.

9. Ofelix

Media:
    Aye but it's for better they almost got this Ofelix killed by the three headed giant.

Of course I shall now have Fallout, tea but not biscuit.

10. Ofelix

Media:
    It doesn't work! Fallout 2 doesn't work on that dread piece of junk that is Window XP. Grrr.

I installed it, re-install it sereval times.

Still each time I get '' C:bad:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not appropriate for the execution for the MS-DOS program or Microsoft Windows. Choose '' Exit '' to end the program ''

Note that is an approximate translation from french (the game is also in french)

Why do I get this junk? Can't WinXP run MS-DOS? MS-DOS wasn't suposed to be UNDER Windows?!

Arrggh what to do?!

11. Caradhras

Media:
    I don't know if there is a problem with different versions, did you patch it?
    I used to run Fallout 2 on my old PC with Windows 95 and it worked, I have no problem playing the game with XP on my other computer.
    I used to play it in French and I switched to English later (the French version is so bad) both worked.
    But I used European versions of the game.
    There are many differences between the American and the European versions (especially the language and the absence of kids in the UK version) which means that you have to use the right patch for the version that you use.
    I had a problem with Fallout 1 which wouldn't work on newer machines with larger hard disks using more than half the free space, but this never happened with Fallout 2. :confused:

12. Ofelix

Media:
    I can't even patch it! I still get the same junk for the patch!

13. Caradhras

Media:
    That's really weird. What version are you trying to run? Is there an American version in French? Do you get the Autorun when you put the CD in your drive? It should look like this if you don't then executing fallout 2 application should so I guess the problem is not there. I haven't a clue. I hope you will somehow manage to get it to work. Bon courage.

14. Ofelix

Media:
    I think it's a european French version, and yes I can install it, the autorun *work* and I get the same as your picture (except with french words)

I get this C:bad:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTORUNEXEC.NT. Le fichier système ne convient pas à l'exécution des applications MS-DOS ou Miscrosoft Windows. Choisissez 'Fermer' pour mettre fin à l'application.

There I get this **** both for Fallout 2 AND the patch. go figure.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  16. Ofelix

Media:
    Yeah! YEah! Tal you are my hero! Except one little thing; Fallout says I need the cd, but it's in the drive. Odd but I recall seeing on the web a forum with the same problem as I, so I may have the answer there. Thanks again Taluntain.

Edit: Problem solved yeah I can play it

[ September 03, 2005, 04:48: Message edited by: Ofelix ]

17. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Yay! The rejoycing returns!

(after we regurgitate those minstrels ;) )

18. Caradhras

Media:
    And the lord did grin, and all rejoiced!

(btw Ofelix if you really find Fallout2 to your liking try to get your hands on an American version -or a UK version and use a patch to restore the kids in the game- it changes quite a lot of things!) :)

19. Ofelix

Media:
    Perhaps, perhaps so, but getting my hand on this one was already hard enough.

'tis a shame Fallout five, Three sir, Err Fallout Three was cancelled though.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Don't get the 'kid patch'. I lost a key quest item because of this stupid thing - the kids pickpocket.

EDIT: Just remembered, you can be pickpocketed even if the little buggers aren't visible. Buddy of mine has the same game and he had the same thing happen to him. Those kids might not show up, but the game code insists they're there.

[ September 04, 2005, 02:24: Message edited by: kuemper ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.