1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Sep 1, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

David Gaider, Designer

Elven blacksmiths..... What?!
    There's nothing wrong with mixing it up with regards to fantasy stereotypes. If I want to make my elves a bunch of albino blacksmiths living underground, my dwarves a bunch of peace-loving druidic farmers and my halflings a race of ninja assassin religious fanatics... nothing wrong with that at all in my book. It doesn't mean I need to turn every single stereotype upside-down just for the sake of doing so, but the Lord of the Rings is no more our Bible than D&D is.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

Real Time or Pause Game

Instead of making threats why don't you just say what style of combat will it be for sure and end this argument. Will it be real time thusly twitch base combat or will it be a turn base or a variant such as Phase Base. You said that DA will not be twitch base so it won't be real time. You also say that it won't be turn base, so that eliminates its variants such as Phase base. Just fess up and tell us what it is.
    I think it has already been explained more than enough, just not in your terms, which is not my problem, I really don't care what you call twitch based, or turn based. For everyone else, somewhere between NWN, KotOR and BG is fine thing to look. And to be very clear on that, I consider it trolling when you misunderstand and misquote people (including developers) on purpose in order start a flamewar or bait others to beat on you. Your "mmorpgs suck" from the other thread was only one of several threads of that type, apparently because you understood that spamming "NWN sucks" in all threads on this board was too aggressive. So chose whatever you post here very carefully for the near future.

Ressurection
    And the great thing is that DA has a multiplayer campaign and a singleplayer campaign and there is no reason why the death rules for singleplayer and multiplayer need to be the same...

More:
    A singular rules set is needed in all aspects of the game. Keep in mind that how the rules are interpretated can be different based on SP and MP.
    Who said that? I remember plenty of games that had different multiplayer and singleplayer rules (including diablo), consistency is nice, but it is not worth sacrificing gameplay over it. Take StarCraft - lot's of campaign specific mini rules or changes to the rules that didn't take effect in multiplayer at all. The market is full of games that have different rules, special rules or rule changes in singleplayer. Even NWN had (on several levels) - just take the death rules there - people die in multiplayer, they get the "wait for help" option, in singleplayer they get to reload.

So, what Bioware needs to determine their core group. Are they going to cater to those who need training wheels to enjoy the game or those who are veterens and have full experience from their past games.
    No need to select one of the two groups and only cater them, would be bad business after all. The group that's going to buy the most copies will get the most attention, of course.

Are the game rules being playtested?

One word: Rolemaster. Now that was a system. Ah, the Charts of Endless death! AH!
    The only system where you not had to teach player the hard way about ways to avoid combat, they would do it on their own...

Sticky factions

If Dragon Age has a similar faction system to NWN [..]
    Unlikely.

Brenon Holmes, Programmer

Real Time or Pause Game

I agree. Give a good full explanation of how the combat will be resolved without using buzz words such as real time/twitch base/phase base/turn base. That way we can decide for ourselves on exactly what kind of combat it is.
    I'm not really certain how much we're allowed to divulge at the moment... but a few things I can mention: Rounds are dead - there is no longer a fixed period of time in which characters are forced to act. It's now subdivided into commands, which have variable lengths; they simply occur sequentially - no delays (well, no arbitrary delays - if you do delay it's because you're doing something else... like reacting). :) In practice it should end up working much like NWN, only without the 'pumping' at lower levels. Theoretically it should be a whole lot prettier and quite a bit more dynamic, we want to get a lot more of the KotOR style combat interactions in - or something in that vein.

More: Just a quick note, by no means will we be requiring people to click or target every second. As we've mentioned before... we want the game to be mostly based around the character's abilities (and your mind, driving the decisions). If it turns out that combat is simply a frantic spill of mad clicks and annoyance as you try to eke that small bit of extra clicking out of your index finger... be assured, we'll make some modifications. :)

Brent Knowles, Co-Lead Designer

Are the game rules being playtested?

Though, the fact that the rules are simple enough for you to use in PnP worries me slightly...
    Actually because the rules are so calculation intensive we had to write the simulator. The pen and paper sessions were taking too much time. We used them mostly for getting a feel for making fun characters -- is there enough choice and so on. Since that point the rules have gotten even more involved so I doubt we'd be able to do any more pen and paper testing with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That is good. The fights in KotOR really seemed like true Star Wars fights, right out of the movies. I never had the feeling of turnbased rules I had in nwn, even though that was still the system in KotOR.

To me this seems like a superfluous comment, since I already thought nobody would be foolish enough to still bring out such a game. I thought the constant clicking died after Diablo 2 showed it's idiocy (even though to me it was already ridicule in number one).

3. chevalier

Media:
    I loved the combat in KotOR as well and it would be nice to see the same in NWN2. Having to click a specific enemy while the fight is going on may be a deviation from turn-based system, but the character always fights some enemy if you don't select any, so it's not so much of a problem.

4. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Well, even in BG, you only had to click really once in swarming fights, since with the party ai turned on, once your char had engaged someone, he would turn to another enemy and attack that one if his current target died.

5. chevalier

Media:
    Well, I remember something getting wrong in my BG2 in the combat scripts area for no apparent reason. Perhaps I screwed something up, don't know. I was able to finish the game, but I had to click every single enemy for combat. Normally, characters defend themselves if attacked even with AI turned off. And suddenly they no longer did. Oh bliss :rolleyes:

6. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Oh, they did? In my games they never defended themselves, unless party ai was turned off. What I do remember is that they defended themselves, even if they had no script selected, but party ai had to be turned on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.