1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3: the G.E.C.K. is out!

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Caradhras, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
  2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I shall now begin the process of creating my own radio station. :)

3. Caradhras

Media:
    I can't begin to fathom all the great things we'll be able to mod! Quests, NPCs, etc. I need to get some sleep before I tackle this. ;)

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sigh, I would be really excited about this if I could ever get the game to run properly on my computer. Had to go and get the PS3 version for that reason and it is just nowhere near as good.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm not a big modder myself, but I'm anxious to see what the community comes up with!

I hit level 20 a couple days ago and took the Explorer perk - I was amazed to find that I could reach level 20 without finding more than half the locations in this game!! There are at least 20-30 locations I haven't visited. This thing is huge!

My only complaint is that I won't be gaining any more experience... :(

6. Caradhras

Media:
    According to what I've read on the official site, the level cap will be raised by the downloadable expansion.

Truth be told I don't mind the level cap, I'm a chronic restarter so that might account for it.

I haven't tried the GECK yet but I've checked the wiki and it seems to me that it might require some getting used to.

@Dragonfly: that's really bad luck, it seems they don't support the PS3 version as well as the others. If it's Sony vs MS, I don't think gamers should be the ones who suffer the consequences.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The only problem I have with the level cap is that it's so easy to reach. My first game, I got there before I even met the Enclave. Looking at the online maps, I had found, maybe, 1/3 of the world locations. If new content raises that cap significantly, without adding equally significant xp opportunities, it could balance that much better. Of course, I have it for PS3, so I'm out of luck either way.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    I'm in the minority but I like the level cap. This way you can't make a "perfect" character but an almost perfect one. I hate that in Oblivion (and Morrowind) no matter what skills you pick you end up having a character who is good at everything.

IMO Fallout 1 and 2 had a better system in which tags mattered, you could have many skills at 100% but you couldn't max all skills no matter what.

There are mods that decrease the amount of XP you get... if you're playing the PC version. :(

There are mods that increase the level cap but that doesn't solve the main problem (too many levels, too many perks, too many skillpoints). In that case I'd rather have a different value for skillpoints depending on your skill level (1 point under 50% and 2 points under 75% maybe 3 after that, tags would retain the normal cost). Perhaps that can be modded but you'd have to look around and see if that can be done. Some people would prefer to have a perk every three levels.

9. Caradhras

Media:
    I've started messing with the GECK, minor stuff doesn't seem too hard to mod but making something from scratch is not an easy task by all means.

So far I've succeeded in changing Clover's looks (different hairstyle and younger look).

Has anyone on the Boards tried to use the GECK yet?

10. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I've experimented - just been following the official tutorials. Not got too far yet, but maybe one day I'll try some proper modding.

Like I did with BG2 - started a few and got distracted.

And NWN.

And Warcraft 3.

And Age of Empires 2.

And Morrowind.

I have a very bad track record.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, I was worried that I was halfway through the game when I reached Rivet City already and was level 10. I read somewhere that it was hard to reach the level cap and that I should grab every bit of XP I could (which I would have done anyway). I also took the extra xp perks but not the extra level one. Now I read here that it is easy to reach the XP cap way before the end of the game, heck I haven't even picked up any followers yet but my experience of followers in modern RPGs isnt great and what I have read they wouldn't suit my quite stealthy character all that well.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    Whatever you do don't pick the swift learner perks.

Followers in F3 aren't that bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.