1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Hobbit: The Movie Coming?!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Whoohoo, at least there's hope!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20031201/en_nm/leisure_newzealand_rings_dc

Can't wait! ;)

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, it definitely would be great, but I`m not going to get my hopes up. (No particular reason; I`m just a pessimist.)

Nice to see that they`re thinking about it, though. :)

3. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

No! Can you imagine what an anticlimax this would be to the vast sweeping battles of LotR? It would just be a mild, friendly, let-down.

4. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It is already impossible to read The Hobbit without super-imposing Peter Jackson's grittier, more adult visual style onto the story's text (eg. the spiders of Mirkwood become the insects from Starship Troopers).

But will Mr Jackson risk directing LOTR Lite when the enevitable 'more of the same, nothing special' reviews can only serve to diminish the legendary (in movie terms) status of LOTR and diminish his own multi-million dollar reputation with it?

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I think that as long as he keeps the storyline more focused on the action (Mirkwood spiders, battle of the five armies, ect.) then there will be just enough action for adults and more of a friendlier undertone for the kids.

The journey for the treasure so to speak.

6. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The Hobbit is also a book that has a lot less happening in it so to speak. In LOTR there are several things going on at once, with characters in different locations and such. The Hobbit has a much more linear storyline, and IMHO would be much easier to convert into a movie, and still retain the feel of the book.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

The Hobbit is for kids, while Lord of the Ring is not. If the movies were advertised as such, there wouldn't be any letdown.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If anything, Jackson's mission wouldn't be complete unless he directed The Hobbit as well; you could then see the entire LoTR saga (and prequel) from his perspective. So the last thing a great Hobbit movie would do is diminish his legend or reputation. I sure don't know anyone better suited to do The Hobbit movie than Jackson.

9. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I think that a movie of the hobbit could never really match up to the book. It would be nice to see Jackson's interpretation of the book, but I would prefer to see it stay as a book in which we can all make our own interpretations rather than his. That's been said before, but still, it needed to be said.

If anyone can make The Hobbit work, it would be Jackson. Or maybe Tim Burton. One of the two.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Bah, I want to see Silmarillion on the screen! :wail:

That will never happen, though. :(

Wanna bet that id they O film the hobbit, we'll get an appearance by Legolas? *shudder*

I SO prefer Thranduil. *nods*

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Silmarillion would be impossible, I doubt there would be a way they could pull it off. The Hobbit would be rather good methinks, Introducing an interpretation of brilliance to the masses, even if they're too ... whateverish ... to see the true masterpiece.

12. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, I truly hope that The Hobbit will make it to film format. I have always thought that any book is usually better than the film, but as far as films go LoTR is superb, there are not even many films of that style out there, let alone good ones. This said, I think the Silmarillion would be even better- I think it could be pulled off fine, and I'm sure people wouldn't mind the length, as it's story is even more epic in my opinion than LotR. It doesn't matter that it jumps forward in time a bit, I mean, a lot of movies do that. There was one a while back (I forget the name, it was about an amnesiac detective), which played in reverse- and the silmarillion is very easy to follow, and well worth it I feel.

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I remember reading on a rumor forum or website that if they decided to make The Hobbit, they wanted to make a TV miniseries to get it right...I think I could live with that!

14. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

The Silmarillion would be like a 12 hour movie!

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh gawd, can't we resurrect Tolkien to keep Jackson on a leash?

16. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Lets see here, it took me half a year to finish the book, so I can only imagine how long a movie would be! But then again, I read very slowly. :(

17. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I would love to see an adaptation of "The Hobbit", just so long as it wasn't directed by George Lucas with Christopher Walken as Gandalf :D . To add a little flesh to the problems insinuated with the Tolkien estate spoken of in Tal's link, check out here and here. . There are serious problems between Jackson, New Line and the Tolkien estate over rights to this novel. New Line obtained the rights for LOTR for a surprisingly small ammount, and given the success of the movie, the Tolkien estate is going to want some serious bucks for the rights to "The Hobbit", an area where New Line has typically never competed with Paramount or Universal.

As Sir Bel indicated, there is a disgusting rumour that the front-runner to ante up for the Hobbit is actually Fox, which might translate it into a made for TV series..."Tonight, on a very special episode of 'Hobbits Lay Down the Smack', Sarah Michelle Gellar appears as Lady Galadriel"...help me mommy :nolike: :toofar: :sosad:

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

IS this actually happening? I recall recently reading something about a 'trailer' being made for The Hobbit by Jackson as a kind of gag or something and that there were no plans whatsoever for the film itself.

It would be very interesting though. I mean, I've read the book but have trouble recalling much of it. Probably because I only read it once about 2 years ago - had to borrow someone else's copy.

19. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

might be off topic
    You sense someting is coming? i mean, Lord of the Rings and Matrix, Hulk, X men, and now the hobbits. Some years ago, we call people who showed great interest in such films "geek" or "nerd". Now, geek-ness seems to be the mainstream. Mark my word, geek culture is going to rule the world. We are reaching the light at the end of tunnel. We are surfacing!

20. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

"And the geek shall inherit the earth"

Me? Long-time geek. been called one ever since Primary School.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.