1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerer's Place Wizardry 8 Video Walkthrough Up!

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]With today's release of our Wizardry 8 video walkthrough, we now have the last three parts of the Wizardry series covered. If you've missed the Wizardry 6 and Wizardry 7 walkthrough announcements, follow the links.

Wizardry 8 is the fourth guide that Beren has integrated gameplay videos throughout. A big thank-you as usual goes to Montresor for a good deal of editorial and technical work on getting the guide online.

We believe that the guide is complete and free of (major) errors, but as with any other new feature, something may have slipped our attention. If you spot any such problems, please report them to the author.

Enjoy the Wizardry 8 Walkthrough!

(And yes, the busy bee Beren is already working on another one...)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks to Beren and Montressor for yet another guide. I'm not at all familiar with this series, but found it interesting reading about the available classes and races. Beren, would you ever consider adding a bit of voice to your videos? I was watching you tweak your characters a bit in video 1, but really had no idea what you were up to. Some light vocal commentary could be extremely helpful.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I appreciate the point you're expressing. However, in my experience, I find voice instructions in gameplay videos a turn off. Either the guy tries to sound humorous but ends up just being annoying, or it gets related in a flat monotone. I suspect I'd play out as the latter. I realize getting the benefit of my latest guides either involves scrolling up and down, or switching between either tabs or windows, but there's a part of me that likes to preserve the gameplay as is, and let the text provide the nitty gritties of what I'm doing.

Marceror likes this.
  4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The guy who tries too hard to be funny/memorable is distasteful to me as well. The monotone but informative voiceover is great in my opinion. I very much enjoy, for example Dr_Asik's (HDGamingReplays) style on IWD2, BG and MotB. You have to do what works for you, of course.

I'm sure the fact that I initially had a hard time following you was due to me having absolutely no background with Wizardry. After watching you level up your first few characters I was following along pretty well with the others. I still couldn't really understand exactly how magic worked. I noticed you clicking on a spell, your spell point would go away, but it wasn't clear what you had done to the spell (I assume made it more powerful, but I didn't notice the numerical values increasing when you clicked on the spell).

At any rate, I'm sure that is something that if I had the game and read the game manual I could figure out quickly enough. I rather tend not to enjoy playing in first person, otherwise this series appears to be quite interesting.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    While I haven't checked out the guide yet, I have to tell you that this is truly a great game. It is one of the few that I have played start to finish multiple times. I may have to find my CD's again. :)

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Couple of questions....

Rogue - Backstab ability. The manual is a bit vague on this one.

- How does it actualy work?
    - I know it does more damage. But under what circumsances?
    - Is it an automatic calculation on every attack?
    - Is it limited to only working when wielding certain weapons?

Is there a Gadgeteer NPC? (it's been a while since I played.)

Attempting a new run through on Iron Man/Normal mode. Current Party around level 7-8, visted Arnika, heading to Umpani base camp...

Lizardman Fighter Male - Sword(Cursed Rapax made sword, forget the name) and Heater Shield, Bow

Mook Ranger Male - Bipennis(2h-Axe) and Bow from Monastery(forget name)

Hobbitt Bard Female - Diadmond Epee/Sword from Monastery(Demonsting?) and Crossbow

Dwarf Priest Male - Enchanted Mace and Sling - Mostly Water/Divine Spheres - About ready to switch to Bishop now that Divine is racked up

Faerie Mage Male - Shillelagh and Darts - All spheres but Mental (so far)

Gnome Alchemist Female - Q-staff and Sling - All spheres but Mental (so far)

NPCs

Vi Domania and Myles(switched him to Fighter for more melee power...). Will drop Myles for Sparkle eventually. Probably then dropping Sparkle for Madras once I reach him in Trynton.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You should probably point Beren to this thread so he doesn't miss your post.

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    'Backstab' is a bit misleading. Rogues always inflict extra back stab damage, even when facing their foes frontally. It increases with Rogue levels. It can only work with weapons that have a 'thrust' attack option.

Madras is the recruitable Gadgeteer rogue option.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, that explains much. Rogues do more damage with Dagger/Shortsword. I never went that route, I usualy choose a Bard/Ninja/Gadgeteer type instead of Rogue. Bard is my prefered pick, very helpful in the early game once you find the Piercing Pipes, though Ninjas are awesome later on.

It's been a while since I last played, I was thinking Madras was an Alchemist. Is the below NPC list correct? Any others?

Myles - Rogue
    Vi - Valkyrie
    Sparkle - Ranger
    Umpani(name???) - Bard
    Madras - Alchemist
    T'Rang(name???) - Samurai
    Robot Monk?????

10. Beren

Media:
    Myles - Rogue
    Vi Domina - Valkyrie
    RFS 81 - Cyborg Monk
    Madras - Gadgeteer
    Sparkle - Ranger
    Saxx - Umpani Bard
    Tantris T'Rang - Samurai
    Urq - Mook Psionic

There's also a Rapax Mage near the ritual altar in the Castle.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Sexus is the Rapax Mage, wielding the Rapax mageblade.

I remember reading there are 3 more NPCs. All of which stay only for limited times as they only stay with you for their quest and then leave. Of course, if you add them and don't do their quest, they will stay for a bit longer. I think Drazic or Rodan will actually attack you if you wait too long to complete their quest.

Drazic - T'Rang Ninja
    Rodan - Umpani Lord
    Sgt .Glumph - Umpani Fighter

12. Blades of Vanatar

The game is setup for the player to create up to 6 characters, leaving two slots open for two additional NPCs. Has anyone ever tried to create under 6 characters in order to add more than 2 NPCs? Does the game allow more than 2 NPCs in the party at one time?

13. Beren

Media:
    Nope, just two. It's not that big a deal anyway. They won't go with you when it matters the most (e.g. the Rapax Rift, Ascension Peak).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.