1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Newbie questions re: char creation

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Covenant-=UDL=-, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Covenant-=UDL=- Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all,

I just recently started playing BG2:ToB and after reading various forums/threads I settled on going with the vanilla HE F/M/T. After a couple restarts, I think I might have gotten the stats where they should be (I'm not interested in hardcore powergaming it, but I would prefer not having a gimped char) but I'd like some clarification on a few points:

First, my character-
    Half Elf F/M/T
    STR: 18/99
    DEX: 18
    CON: 15
    INT: 18
    WIS: 3
    CHA: 3
    Weapon Proficiencies: QStaff ++ Two-Handed Wep Style ++ Short Sword +

I had NO idea where to spend the points on the thieving skills, so I pretty much sunk everything into either Hide in Shadows (107) and Move Silently (103). Is this OK? Should I have done things differently? (My reasoning going this way was having Imoen as my primary thieving char)

So...will having only 3 in WIS/CHA hurt me? What about only 15 CON? (I think you get a bonus on stats when they hit 16, but this is the only re-roll I had that let me get STR to 18/99) For that matter, how important is that STR 18/99? Is it much difference than say, STR 18/27 or whatever?

What about Weapon Proficiencies? How is Qstaff/2H Weapon Style compared to others? I know I can still backstab with a staff, right? Where should I put that last +, if not in Short Sword?

And finally, for mods: I'm just using the official patch that comes with a GoG install, widescreen mod, and the G3fixpack...anything else I should check out at this point?
    Oh, one more thing: at the beginning of starting up the game, I've been selecting BG2: Shadows of Amn even though I do have the ToB also installed? Is this correct?

ANY thoughts/replies/opinions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You are part mage and will have access to the Level 2 Strength Spell(18/50), so don't sweat your Str score, up your Con to 18 instead. Also, up your Wis with the rest for RP purposes, if you care that is. As for Cha
    There are items that up your Cha, a ring that makes it 18 for ex....

Weapon Profs - QS is a good selection. IMO you should add you last point in a Missle Weapon, preferably a Longbow/Shortbow.

Thieving Abilities - Depends on your playing style. You are part amge, so Invisibility spell is available, kind of makes MS/HS redundant. But as for Imoen
    You lose her after the initial Dungeon for possibly a large portion of the game, you will need someone to remove/find traps and open locks

As for mods, if it is your 1st playthrough, leave them out of it. The vanilla game is just fine. Mod it on later runs.

Covenant-=UDL=- likes this.
  3. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Strength does mainly the following:

score | HIT| DMG

15 | 0 | 0
    16 | 0 | +1
    17 | +1 | +1
    18 | +1 | +2
    01-50| +1 | +3
    51-75| +2 | +3
    76-90| +2 | +4
    91-99| +2 | +5
    00 | +3 | +6

If you want to focus on other stats, just rely on the Strength spell as Blades mentioned.
    An at least 18/91 Str is nice though, but later in the game you might aquire Str enhancing items.
    I still like to have a high Str right in the beginning, but it isn't this essential.

More Con means more hitpoints so I would go for 18.

Wis and Cha aren't this important (Wisdom for some rare dialogue options and both Wish spells; and Charisma mainly influences shop prices and might have an impact if you should have a low reputation).

Still, a 3 in both stats looks silly to me, but that's only for roleplay purposes; it wouldn't hurt actual gameplay too much.

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Even without mods the game is fine, unless we start nitpicking. Things like the widescreen mod are definitely worth checking out though.

Yes.

As Blades said strength is not all that important to max, but if you prefer you can leave it at 15 or so. DEX should always be maxed on a mage whenever possible, and raise your CON to 16 (max bonus for non-fighters). Wisdom is good for RP purposes, a handful of game dialogues and helps improve the effects of a spell or two. 16 should be enough. CHA isn't all that important for your chararacter.

I suggest you raise Open Locks and Disarm Traps, that way you won't have to depend on having a thief in your party and you can freely cycle through all the NPC's in the game, keeping the ones you really want.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Raise the Con to 18. Multi-Class fighter-types get the full bonus of +4/level. For example, a Level 1/1 Fighter/Thief with 18 Con would start with a max of 12 HPs(10/2 for Fighter level, 6/2 for the Thief level and 4/1 for Con Bonus).

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Although CON bonus will be divided by 3 each time you level up too, so the difference will be minimal. However, if you have 18 CON you'll have 8-9 more HP. After level 9 you do not gain CON bonus for level ups, and gain 1 HP per level.

Jan is excellent thief NPC for detrapping/unlocking. Although, since you are a mage, investing all of your skill points into hide in shadows can be moot. You'll have invisibility spells. And later, Mislead spell. Mislead+Critical Strike HLA and watch the enemies chunk.

Staff is good choice, since the most damaging backstab weapon in the game is a staff. Few enemies resist crushing damage too. It also has better reach then a dagger. Speed is nice enough too, although a backstabber would really want a speed factor 0 weapon for most potential.

You may need a ranged weapon. Shortbows are way to go, there are good ones early and later in the game. Also, level 3 spell Melf's Minute Meteors is a very powerful ranged weapon too.

For CHA, do not buy anything when your char. is the party leader, vendors will sell you their stuff for more money. Let some comely NPC (CHA 16 of better) be the leader when you are about to make a big purchase. Let Hear'Dalis turn on his charm, esp. if you cast a friends spell beforehand, his CHA will skyrocket and you'll find most stuff much cheaper.

Abysmal WIS score will severely hurt your lore score. You will not be able to identify anything just by looking at it for a long time. Also, WIS score is important for Wish spell, but since you are multiclassed you won't be casting it. If you did cast it however, it would be disastrous for your party!

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The other reason I would advocate raising CON to 18 is that there are probably half a dozen weapon and equipment choices in the game that will raise your strength to 18 (100) or higher. (As high as 25 for one particular item.) They are plentiful enough that every character that will benefit from a strength enhancing item will be able to use one.

8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I like not having less than an 8 in cha and a 10 in wisdom personally.

If you are the only thief in the party put points into open locks/remove traps/set traps first. I also like detect illusions but not before those. Do not bother with pick pockets (just use master thievery potions before you use the skill) and I do not bother putting points in stealth skills early since you can just use invisibility, potions, and patience for stealth. Remember too that there are items like boots, armor, and even a ring that can improve your stealth so those can really help you save points early on in the game.

18 int is nice but isn't any way necessary especially if you set the difficulty to normal you can memorize scrolls 100% every time.

I too suggest con up to 18 as every HP helps. Str is less needed especially if you decide to use a lot of ranged weapons but if you can get an 18 that works well (later on items will give you better str which is why having an 18 is not that needed in the long run).

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hate min-maxing. I rarely use a stat below 10, never below 8.

You should shoot for a 16 constitution. Reroll a few times to get higher than a 75 -- you should be able to get near 90 with patience.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.