1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Members' Amazon Wish Lists Forum

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Check out this thread for pretty much all the info, and let me know if I've missed anything.

Thanks go to Rallymama for the idea and the first posted wish list. ;)

[ December 05, 2005, 21:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you decide to buy something for someone how do you do it?

If you click on "add to cart" and go to checkout, will it automatically know to send it to the person from the wish list or will it send it to your account?

Does Amazon tell the receipient who sent it to them or can you be a "Secret Hanukkah Harry"?

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    So that Rally doesn't know you sent her something, you mean? :good:

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The Great Snook, as far as I know, it will automatically send it to the person who made the list. In your cart, below every item added from someone's wish list, it will say "For NAME's Wish List". So basically it's the same as if you were ordering for yourself, only you pay for it, while it's shipped to the person who's made the wish list.

And I would imagine that it's possible to make anonymous purchases of items on someone's wish list, but I don't really know. Maybe someone who's gone through the process already can shed some more light on this.

[Edit] Some more info straight from Amazon:

If you place your order through the Shopping Cart instead of with 1-Click ordering, you can enter a gift message and request gift-wrap when you fill out the order form.

You can choose to send Wish List items to any address you want, but the default delivery address is the one that the creator of the Wish List provides when the list is created. If the item is being sold by a merchant other than Amazon.com, you may have to enter the recipient's address when placing the order. However, many Wish List owners have enabled their shipping address to be used automatically for these items as well.

To protect the privacy of Wish List recipients, gift givers can see only the name, city, and state associated with this address.

[ December 06, 2005, 03:19: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Bah, Mrs. Snook would kill me. :D (sorry Rally)

Actually, I was curious because every year we try to fulfill some wish lists for people who need assistance. The three of us love to read and I was thinking maybe this year we would use Amazon.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

These wish lists make surprisingly interesting reading.

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

You obviously haven't seen mine yet, Harb ;)

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] I've updated the submission instructions (link in the first post here) a bit as there was some confusion regarding what's needed to be sent to me (it's explained now what the right option is), and I've added a note to make sure that you have a shipping address entered with your wish list.

I've seen 3 or 4 submitted wish lists by now that don't have a shipping address listed. People viewing these lists can see a warning sign and text in red on top of the wish lists, notifying them that others won't be able to buy them things off their lists unless they enter a shipping address.

So, if you've left it out by mistake, make sure to fix it!

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I tried to set my shipping address up when I made the list but it wouldn't accept my postal code for some reason. I just tried again and I had the same problem - it won't accept my postal code and it won't accept my address without there being a postal code.

I am on amazon.ca and I can't imagine that they would be so sloppy as to not have implemented Canadian postal codes so I am at a bit of a loss on this one.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm pretty sure it tells the recipient--there was a section in the Amazon FAQ to the effect of, "Sorry, if you want to send something to people in prison, you can't do it anonymously," a few weeks ago and I can't imagine that's changed since then.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    JSBB, contact their support... Amazon's support has always been good at responding and resolving issues for me.

AMaster, there's no such thing in the Wish Lists help section on Amazon that I've seen. Actually, no information on this at all, which is pretty strange. It's bound to be one of the most commonly asked questions. I'll contact them myself and find out.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Actually, there is, but on reading it again, it may only apply to inmates. The wording doesn't make it clear whether it only applies to inmates or is a blanket rule.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Yeah, I had problems getting my address information to input properly. I didn't think Amazon.ca would not accept a Canadian postal code, so I think it's my lack of phone number. I will try adding that and see what happens.

EDIT: It is the postal code that's messing up. Now, how do I report that? :o I *think* I emailed the right people about the postal code problem. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

EDIT 2: I reported it correctly and got a reply. Here's where I messed up. I used the 2 letter abbreviation for Newfoundland instead of spelling it out. Maybe that's what happened with JSBB. From the reply:
    [ December 10, 2005, 15:46: Message edited by: kuemper ]

14. Taluntain

Media:
    AMaster, that's not the Wish List help section, it's the general "Shipping" help section, and doesn't really have anything to do with with wish lists in particular, just about general shipping rules.

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    *nod*

I figured that if it applied to general shipping, it would to wish lists as well. Maybe not *shrug*

16. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, after about a dozen mails back and forth I've managed to find out that wish list purchases are completely anonymous, so the person you're buying for couldn't find out who bought them something even if they needed or wanted to.

17. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    When I have sent the mail with my Amazon Wishlist to you how long to wait before I should start thinking that I have sent the wrong link or messed up anyhow else? :rolleyes:

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Pinging me about it if I forget usually does it... ;)

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Since we're cutting down on the number of forums with little activity, the Wish Lists one is going as well. There hasn't been enough activity overall and in the last few years to warrant keeping it as a separate forum, so the 18 wish lists inside the subforum are getting moved to the main Sorcerous Sundries forum.

For my own reference, here's the link to the info thread just on the really off chance that we revisit this at some point in the future.

20. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    To be honest, i wasn't even aware the wishlist forum was a thing... :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.