1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Forum Rearrangements & Merges

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 23, 2013.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Since we've had a rather large number of game forums with little or not activity in them, I've moved the least active ones to the The Forum of Holding, where they are still available as subforums.

Some of these smaller subforums might get merged into The Playground at some point later on.

Since there was very little activity in the Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 - Toolsets & Fan Modules forum (and no real chance of it picking up again), I've decided to move the threads it contained to the games' own forums and remove the toolset forum. So in future, all the NWN1/2 toolset-related stuff and fan-made modules will be discussed in either the NWN1 or the NWN2 forum.

As far as consolidating the number of forums goes, I think that's about all that it currently made sense to do. But if anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I like the name.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure about some of them, since there is a "D&D Games forum", perhaps the less popular games related to that should be in a subforum under the D&D games forum.
    I'm thinking from the perspective of a new member, as it can be harder to find one of those games. The logical choice to look for "Pool of Radiance 2:Ruins of Myth Dranor" would be under D&D Games.

You could add a subfolder for them and call it "The D&D forum of holding" and put PoR2, D&D Online, Dragonshard, Demon Stone, and Neverwinter in that.

Taluntain likes this.
  4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, that would make sense actually... it'd mean another container forum but it'd be more user-friendly.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Better late than never. ;)

The Great Snook likes this.
  6. Taluntain

Media:
    So... I'm going through another round of housekeeping that's proving to be quite extensive. So far I've merged all of the archive news forums into the main news forum (no need to keep these separate any more). I've also merged the Whatnots archive read-only forum into the main Whatnots. If anyone's had any favourite ancient Whatnots threads that they've been itching to resurrect, feel free!

But wait, there's more!

Now this might be somewhat controversial, but I've made the original BG, IWD and SoA/ToB forums into subforums of the currently most relevant Enhanced Editions and given them the "Classic" tag. This has helped with the clutter and duplication on the front page of the forums and it also makes sense from the perspective that the EEs are the versions most likely to still be played in the future (like it or not).

I've also moved several more D&D game forums into our bottomless "forum of holding".

The BoM blogs are now a subforum of Whatnots (and yes, everyone can post their "blog" threads there!).

What remains to be done is creating another container forum for the less active non-D&D game forums and concentrating all of those there. I'm drawing a blank when it comes to naming this container forum, though. If anyone's got any clever ideas for the name (and yes, it should not be another "forum of holding"), post them here!

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Call it ATMA.

8. Taluntain

Media:
  9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's a Diablo II program that let's you, among other thing, create stashes to hold items from all of your various characters.

However, it really only is funny if you know Diablo, so not worth it.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  10. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah, a bit too Diablo-only then, yes.

11. dmc

Media:
    You could call it "The Bottomless Pit" but that might be a bit too dark.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    I called it "Rusty Container" as a placeholder name. Bottomless Pit is a bit too... final. :shake:

13. dmc

Media:
    If you want to do a really old call-back, you can call it either Colossal Cave or Maze of Twisty Little Passages. It will be instantly recognizable to old geeks like me! Maybe even younger geeks . . .

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Too old for me. :p

I've added little indicator icons to the subforums since by default XF has none, which looks quite half-assed.

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think a whole lot of people are familiar with Colossal Cave. :D

16. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Personally I'm finding the reorg on forums to be a marked improvement. The main forum page is just plain easier to navigate. And I think it's time that the EE's take their place in the spotlight. The subforums for the "classic" games are highly appropriate in my opinion. Not because I'm a total Beamdog fanboy or anything, because I'm really not. But because the classic games are now technically outdated, with the EE's having taken a significant hold of the player base. Embrace the change, I say.

Taluntain likes this.
  17. Taluntain

Media:
    Good to hear you like it, it doesn't look like much now, but it was quite a bit of work to get all those forums sorted.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Another round of rearrangements done. As you might expect, BG3 is now on top, and all the games are listed from latest in series to oldest. All the non-D&D games are now in the Rusty Bucket as there's been little activity in them over the past couple of years. This has actually cut down on the length of the forum index page quite significantly.

I've also reordered some of the other forums to make the bigger ones show first.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.