1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3 Help: Steam Game, Windows Live Download issue

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Death Rabbit, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    'Zup.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, and I'm still looking for an answer eslewhere, but I thought I'd get this going here.

I bought my copy of Fallout 3 from Steam. Game has worked great so far. This weekend, I purchased my one and only expansion/add-on for the game, Broken Steel, through the Games for Windows Live client. After the purchase, the game downloaded. Once the download finished, the GfWL client told me that it was installing the add-on, and when finished, stated that it was installed. The web site told me that to access the new content, "just walk around a while and you'll hear a radio beacon which starts a quest leading to the new content." Problem is, no beacon. I've killed dozens of enemies and spent nearly an hour just walking the wastes, and so far there is no change. My level is still capped at 20. Clearly the add-on is not registering.

My character is at level 20 and I'm just about to enter Vault 87 (thus, near the end of the OC), but I don't want to go any further if I'm wasting experience. I can't seem to find the download on my machine anywhere, and I don't know how to connect it to my game. Before downloading, I read the FAQ on the Windows site and it told me that all I needed for this to work was "an original copy of the game," which I have.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Was Broken Steel not available via Steam? I'd imagine it's some incompatibility between the Steam download and the Games for Windows Live download.

Did you ask your question of the Steam support to see if there would be a problem?

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've been digging around on the Steam forums, I think I have a few workarounds to try when I get home. I was kind of hoping someone here had had the same problem.

Yeah, for some reason, only the standard issue of Fallout 3 is available on Steam. No DLC, no GotY Edition. Steam fans are petitioning hard for this to change, but it doesn't look like it'll be any time soon. Believe me, I would prefer it - Games for Windows Live sucks a big one IMO. Steam is excellent (also IMO).

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I had the exact same problem about two weeks ago.

What I did was first find the folder where the DLC was downloaded too. To do this, because it is hidden, you have to follow the instructions below.

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/4379.aspx?PageIndex=1

In short you have to find the .esm file of broken steel on your computer, which is in a hidden folder. Once you found it you copy and paste it in the 'data' folder of fallout 3. Then click data files on the fallout 3 launcher and make sure you tick the broken steel box.

That should do the trick. Hope it helps, it sure did the trick for me.

As a last hint I recommend to donwload a simple mod that disables games for windows live entirely in fallout 3. It is in my opinion the most useless feature ever and even slows down your game. Who needs those silly achievements anyway.

5. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Did it.

Fixed.

I'll buy you a pony.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.