1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do I backup my character and savegames in Fallout 3?

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Son of Imoen, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Before my computer needed to have Windows reïnstalled when my motherboard broke down, I had Fallout 3 installed and just finished the tutorial, arriving in the Wasteland. But I couldn't find any savegame- or character-files I could copy-paste to another drive beforing re-installing Windows.

I want to start over again now, but want to make backups, just in case, like I do with all my games.

What files do I need to copy to a backup folder to be able to restore a Fallout-game after reinstalling?

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I was going to say they were in \Fallout\DATA\SAVEGAMES, but then I noticed the 3 behind Fallout.

I'm pretty sure Oblivion saved the savegames somewhere in the My Documents folder, so that's where I'd start to look. Don't remember exactly where, and I don't have Oblivion installed at the moment so can't check right now.

I do have some backed up saves for Oblivion, though. They have the extension .ess, so you could try to search your My Documents for that (or the drive where you have Windows installed in total if you can't find it there).

3. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yes, I found them. They're in My Documents/My Games/Fallout 3. I was mistaken about the reason I didn't have any savegames. I didn't have any from half a year ago when I got a new motherboard and reinstalled Windows, not because I couldn't find them (that was my reasoning in my first post, at the moment I reinstalled the game). Once it was reinstalled, seeing how easy it is to find, it dawned to me my reason for not backing up the saves must have been I didn't feel like continuing.

Back then (about the same time last year), I liked the opening of the game, but combat was hard, or so I thought: I escaped from the Vault with hardly any ammo left, I was wounded and had nothing to heal me with, and was staring out into a large Wasteland void of recognizable features.

But now I started again, it doesn't seem too dazzling anymore. For one, I did open more lockers and got several medical healing kits (can't remember the name right now), somewhere around 200 bullets in all (150 for the pistol, 50 for the BB gun). And I found out when you exit, there is a quest note telling you where to go to first and a quest marker placed on the map. So I feel more confident now.

Thanks for your help, I think I'll like this game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.