1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age Forum News (Jan. 26, 05)

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Jan 26, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

David Gaider, Designer

More choices for female characters, please

The Romance in HoTu is atuaclly better then NWN, but,... do you even think Aribeth or Sharwyn or Linu in the NWN OC a romance? I think they all are to some degree, just left...unfinished
    Sharwyn and Linu were never intended as romances, no. They have a few flirting lines, perhaps, but there's no development of an actual relationship beyond the implication that something might occur after the adventure.

Aribeth is, indeed, a real romance and a relationship did develop over the course of the game. You may not have liked it or thought it was unfinished, but that was done on purpose (for the entire campaign, in fact). That does not, however, make it not a romance. Indeed, the fact that it was talked about and clamored about so much makes it probably one of the most successful romances we've ever done and was the only reason she cameoed in HotU at all.

It would be good if we get more than one romance option, simply because people have have different tastes in men/women.
    That's very true. Carth has been our most popular female romance so far, though like Aribeth he's been pretty polarizing.

Asking for more than one romance option is a nice idea, but everyone seems to be asking at the same time for more dialogue and deeper interactions and the option to have a romance NPC as a friend as well with seperate dialogue... getting all that and multiple options, however? Seems a bit of a dicey proposition.

It's unlikely male characters are ever again going to get three seperate options, never mind worrying about whether or not female characters will get an equal amount. Not unless the focus of the game is actually on the romances, anyhow.
    Covering all the bases for romantic preferences isn't really the point, either. We write characters and a story. Some people will like them, some won't. Trying to please everyone isn't likely to happen no matter which way we go.

Am I chewing on crazy pills here? Please give me your thoughts.
    I don't think it was quite that. There was no emphasis on making the male character romance more story-centric than the female character romance.

The overall stories came first, and the Aribeth and Bastila characters happened to play central roles in those stories (hmmm... practically the same one, in fact). The fact that you could romance Aribeth or Bastila, or other characters, came later... so it was less that we favoured the male character romance as it was that there happened to be no male NPC with a central story role in the party (though I would say that Carth's role was more important than Aarin Gend's by far, in comparison).

Bioware Blogs
    1/26/05
    Today I brought up a suggestion from the forums at a project meeting. Everyone had a good laugh.

Then I said, "No, really." And now I am seeing a special counsellor. I hate shrinks.

Darcy Pajak, Assistant Producer

Artifical intelligence quality in DA
    We are committed to making the multiplayer experience fun and exciting, and the ideas we have at the moment sound really cool. (but I cannot share them yet). We will do what we can to make sure that multiplayer features do not distract from single player.
    In many ways, they can both provide completely different game experiences, and require special considerations to enhance each experience. (pause, for example) These differences are a big part of the reasons we’ve decided to create a different multiplayer campaign.
    We want people to play through the single player campaign and have a good time, then round up some friends and go through the multiplayer part and then share that good time.

But we are still a long way out and we need to complete the single player bit first

Brenon Holmes, Programmer

Day/Night Cycle Part 2
    Just back away slowly and turn off the lights on your way out. If you're really careful, you can pretend you never saw them at all...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
  2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, Carth is surely much, much more likeable than Anomen. Perhaps it's because he's something like Anomen Lite. :lol: Noticed the near same face and hair, haven't you? ;)

He still has that something which makes me think he's interested in guys as well (while Anomen feels a bit to be interested in guys primarily), but many women tend to fall for that something for some inexplicable reason. Perhaps it's the same thing as with men who enjoy the sight of women getting at it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.