1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Decided to Play this again

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by dmc, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I haven't played this game in more years than I can remember. I have the original 2 disk box plus the Heart of Winter CD.

What are the recommended mods for this these days?

I have downloaded Trials of the Luremaster, which I believe contains the last patch, so once I install the ID1 disks, the HoW disk and TotLM off the download, what's next?

I imagine the widescreen mod is necessary and I am partial to ease of use type mods, but is there anything else that the community would seriously recommend?

2. Vladimirof Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

3. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Ninja'd by Vladimirof.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Gibberling3 has a FixPack, it's not maintained but you might want to check it out.

I find the Widescreen mod to not do a particularly good job with IWD, the UI looks a bit goofy with it. Whether that outweighs playing in 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor is your call though.

Overall IWD with Trials of the Luremaster is already a highly polished game, so modding it isn't as essential as, say, BG1.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd say the NPC project. I've been using it and it's not bad. Some of the interactions are annoying (an npc will just jump to an answer or state the obvious) but all in all it's not bad. The npc's are a bit underpowered although not too much so and you do have some flexibility in what classes to choose. There are even romance options.

I didn't have any problems with the widescreen mod and IWD.

Edit: Only rolling one instead of six characters was a bonus with the NPC project.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I believe there is a Fix or Tweak pack, maybe both, for IWD nowadays. SP and The Pocket Plane site has a breakdown of the mods with download links. I would try there first. IWD NPC project is pretty good. If you want pre-made NPCs with voicing that is.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I went with just the G3 Fixpack, Tweakpack and Widescreen mod. Part of what I liked about the game (as far as I remember) is drawing up my own characters.

I decided to go with a Paladin, a gnomish F/T, half elf R/C, straight druid, Bard and dual class F/M. I dualled after F-3, so that he would have 42 HP and 3 *s in bows. Almost done with the vale of the undead area (just have to kill off what's-her-name priestess of Auril).

My mage is activated as a full dual class, pretty much everyone has a ranged weapon and a melee weapon fall back (almost all magical except the pallie). Got a little hairy when I ran out of ammo in Kresselack's tomb and insisted on finishing it rather than going back for supplies.

Having fun, that's for sure.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In the IWD NPC mod I got a paladin, a half-elf fighter/thief, a half-elf ranger/cleric, a a dual class fighter-druid, and a bard ... I made a dual classed fighter mage to start with.

I get conversation and romance :p

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I recall that in the fully patched original IWD game, without HoW there were a few annoying bugs, but nothing game-breaking. For the life of me I can't recall what they were.
    I also recall getting a fixpack that preceded the G3 one. I just checked my game and it seems I still have ease-of-use instead of tweaks pack, but I can't find what the name of the other fixpack was. Not that it matters.

Maybe I never reinstalled it when I finally got HoW.

10. dmc

Media:
    So I finished it last night. I had forgotten how overpowered bows were. I wound up with my pallie using a throwing axe and the +2 defender axe (with a +4 axe in case something couldn't be hit with only +2) and everyone else had bows or other ranged weapons.

I reimported into a new HOF game, but it was way too boring. Thus, I scaled it back to insane and am running them to Kuldahar as fast as possible because, as I realized last night, I once again went too far before triggering the expansion forgot that once I beat Poquelin in Dorn's, I get Tported to Easthaven and can't leave. Blah.

I just figured I'd finish the game and restart. I would have restarted in just HOW but I wanted to see HOF. That lasted 10 minutes, but whatever.

It's pretty much exactly as I remembered - a fun dungeon crawl.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bows are much less useful against the Drowned Dead in HoW :)

12. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

That sounds nearly identical to the party I'm using! Except my F/T is halfling, and my Druid is a F/D.

13. Solaufein Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

14. Ruben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Look here for an oversight of mod installation order for the biggest mods.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  15. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Finally had another run with the game to complete it after quitting years and years ago, and really enjoying it so far. As I write this the end battle is about to start and I failed miserably after the first try (it couldn't get hit?). :p

Went with the same mods as TS did, tweak and fix, but after learning the existence of a NPC mod, I probably should've installed that one as well. Oh well, next time I guess? :D

Too bad Gibberlings3 was down (and still is), or I would've learned of the mod sooner. :( But creating a party from the ground is fun on its own. Too bad my knowledge of the realms has decreased over time, as I found out my party configuration is a little suboptimal:

fighter, paladin, fgt/thief, fgt/cleric, elf druid, gnome illusionist

Made some stupid mistakes when creating the druid (longswords proficiency) and the paladin wasn't really necessary. Plus, I had bad luck with the rolls and he started of with 8 hp at level 3. Oops, not quite the tank I was hoping for, and it resulted in MANY reloads and the need to powerplay (rest-buff-repeat) where I wanted to roleplay the whole thing, but the game is ridiculously hard at times (compared with the BG's and IWD2). Or maybe it's just me sucking more nowadays. Oh well...

16. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Noooo

Gibberlings 3 is down (again?)

I thought they were back up but you're right.

I guess we can ask if anyone has a saved copy of the mod you want.

17. Bladezuez

Bladezuez I'm normal in my mind; everyone else is crazy! Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gibberlings 3 is up. I was just there and they have quite the list for the game. just thought that you all might want to know that it is back up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.