Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > Miscellaneous Forums > The Sensorium

Notices

The Sensorium For posts about music, film, theatre, television and related subjects. Discuss the music and bands you like, recommend or criticize films and TV series, etc. Threads about the DVDs listed on SP are especially welcome.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Tue, 13th Mar '12, 5:17pm   #1
Dice Points for Social Group Discussions
SPS Account Holder

Like: 101
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 11,971
Level: 32
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnBronzed Blogging God(dess)Wanna Share
Dice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the rough
Default How does music affect your moods

I listen to an eclectic mass of rhythms and sounds. Obviously music is a mood enhancer. When I am sad or contemplative I will listen to Leonard Cohen and Cat Stevens, when I'm in a good mood I listen to Peter Gabriel, Harry Belafonte, or somewhere in between those styles. When I'm walking and thinking about how I need to fight my demons I listen to Kid Rock, or Molotov or Calle 13. I can listen to Tom Waits with any of those moods but that is just because he fascinates me.

So does your mood affect your listening choices? Do tell.
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 13th Mar '12, 10:33pm   #2
Barmy Army
Simple mind, simple pleasures...

Like: 16
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,439
Level: 36
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryThe Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!
Barmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, definitely it does. Surely it is scientifically provable in some way, that music does influence mood.

Last edited by Taluntain; Wed, 14th Mar '12 at 3:14am.
Barmy Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 13th Mar '12, 10:58pm   #3
Gaear
SPS Account Holder

Like: 65
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,239
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Party of FiveThree's a CrowdLet's Talk...I'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Gaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant future

More Dele-Dele ... (It's science!)

Does Adele's music move you to tears? Scientists identify the bits in songs that make you cry

Strangely I don't find Someone Like You terribly moving.

Also I think it's a two-way street - mood may affect listening choices but listening choices may also affect mood.
Gaear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 14th Mar '12, 1:04am   #4
Master of Nuhn
SPS Account Holder
Wear it like a crown

Like: 139
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 9,146
Level: 28
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnBlogbieThe Popular One
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Master of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of light

They work both ways. When you're sad, it's good to listen to melancholic music to create an outlet. When you're done with it, you've created "space" in your mind to let other moods in, which is a good time to play something happier.

When I'm sad, I tend to listen to Jeff Buckley, Ane Brun, Agnes Obel and others. After that I tend to get into my "laid back modus" (mostly lounge and triphop, like Morcheeba, Tosca, Lamb and Thievery Corporation) or regular mood (70s R&B, soul, jazz). When happy/active: old skool hiphop (DeLa Soul, Tribe called Quest), funk, drum & bass and some older dance charts like Deee-Lite's "Groove is in the heart" or Fatboy's remix of "Brimful of Asha".
Old Wed, 14th Mar '12, 10:03am   #5
LKD
Gems: 31/31
Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Like: 40
Liked 49 Times in 35 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,899
Level: 37
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
LKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond repute

Music affects me big time. So much so that my wife gets pissed at me. But I say that's why God created music -- to move our souls and aggravate our spouses!

Likes (1):
LKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 14th Mar '12, 12:52pm   #6
Master of Nuhn
SPS Account Holder
Wear it like a crown

Like: 139
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 9,146
Level: 28
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnBlogbieThe Popular One
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Master of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of lightMaster of Nuhn is a glorious beacon of light

Drum-ROFL
Old Wed, 14th Mar '12, 4:13pm   #7
8people Points for Confirmed Friends
SPS Account Holder
8 is just another way of looking at infinite

Like: 77
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 19,641
Level: 39
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements To Read Me is To Love MeFamousBronzed Blogging God(dess)Wanna ShareJunior Blogger
8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future8people has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to 8people Send a message via Yahoo to 8people

Music makes me feel better, mostly. Some bands and singers just annoy me and make me rather annoyed, like Elton John.
8people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 16th Mar '12, 7:41pm   #8
Arabwel

Like: 1
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 17,015
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Arabwel will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Arabwel Send a message via MSN to Arabwel Send a message via Yahoo to Arabwel

Yes, yes it does. see also: the amount of Cure I listen to when having relationship trouble. *sigh*
Old Fri, 27th Apr '12, 7:40pm   #9
SPS Account Holder

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnBronzed Blogging God(dess)Wanna Share
Dice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the rough

This is the song I'm listening to today. It would be a good one to learn how to sing because its melodic.

Old Fri, 27th Apr '12, 8:34pm   #10
Merlanni
SPS Account Holder

Like: 33
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,446
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnPosting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Merlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the rough

Music not so much. Books are far worse. Odd, I know.
Merlanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 28th Apr '12, 12:35am   #11
henkie
SPS Account Holder
Hammertime

Like: 6
Liked 63 Times in 47 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,756
Level: 19
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnMaster PosterHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
henkie will become famous soon enoughhenkie will become famous soon enough

I'd say it's rather the other way around. What mood I'm in affects what music I listen to.

Although there is a general trend that listening to music I like makes me more relaxed and it can serve as an outlet if I'm feeling pissed off, like MoN (actually, MoN doesn't look right, I think it should be more like Mo' Nuhn ) suggests. Conversely, listening to music I really don't like can piss me off immensly too.

Last edited by henkie; Sat, 28th Apr '12 at 12:47am.
henkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 28th Apr '12, 2:28pm   #12
Harbourboy
Take thy form from off my door!

Like: 66
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 28,425
Level: 45
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Party of FiveNew DeliveryThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Harbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to behold

Oh yeah. If I hear a Beyonce song, I get very annoyed. Especially if it's that Single Ladies (put a ring on it) one.
Harbourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 30th Apr '12, 10:11pm   #13
LKD

Like: 40
Liked 49 Times in 35 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,899
vBActivity - Bars
LKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond repute

Katie Malua's My Aphrodisiac is You always makes me feel . . . . amorous.

When I'm in a bad mood, there's nothing like a Family Guy song to cheer me up. Stewie's version of I've got a Little List (from the Mikado) is right up there, as well as the FCC Song and Peter's campfire song Sodomy, inspired by Brokeback Mountain.

Most rap songs and speed/thrash/death/acid/whatever weird adjective you want to put in front of it Metal music makes me pissed off, and I usually change the station or turn off the music. The same thing goes for bubble gum feces like Beyonce, Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, Celine Dion (AKA Canada's Shame), anything done by the cast of Glee, anything done by an American Idol douche, and lame 70s music (ie: I've got you babe)

Some rousing Classical music always invigorates me.

The Alan Parsons Project always mellows me out, as do Billy Joel, Supertramp, Van Halen, Def Leppard and the other bands of my youth. Even if they are fast, wild songs, they remind me of when times were a heckuva lot simpler, and make me melancholy yet happy at the same time.
Old Mon, 30th Apr '12, 10:27pm   #14
Gaear
SPS Account Holder

Like: 65
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,239
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Party of FiveThree's a CrowdLet's Talk...I'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Gaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant future

Happy melancholia ... that's an interesting notion.

Environment affects my listening choices. At night I listen to 'night time' music (subtextually creepy or a little dissonant or even kind of crazy - because night is the communal pre-rational crazy time), on rainy days sad music, on sunny days generally reflective or nostalgic music. Very rarely conventionally 'happy' music, unless it's just coming at me through the radio.
Gaear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 3rd May '12, 5:04am   #15
SPS Account Holder

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Quote:
and lame 70s music (ie: I've got you babe)
OK - THAT SONG ^ is the one and only song that drives me insanely up the wall and makes me want to run screaming to the bathroom to empty the contents of my stomach. Really. I cannot listen to 70's radio stations because they like to throw that one in over and over. I cannot stress enough how much I DESPISE WITH A PASSION that song. Even thinking about it makes me quiver.... o.k. my knuckles are white, I can let go of the keyboard now...breath Dice breath .... end rant.