1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Took a break from reading A Dance With Dragons to study for exams. Can finally get back to it now they're over :D

2. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Alice in Deadland

[​IMG] Good read. I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars. Wasn't familiar with the author, Mainak Dhar, but writing was strong and character development was good. The story moved at a grand pace.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie. Only about 100 pages into it, but its very promising so far.

4. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The OZ Chronociles

This looks to be a very good series by R.W. Ridley. I'm into the third book of 4. The continuation of the story between books is very good. Wild imagination in the creation of characters. You'll love the gorilla that signs to humans with great wisdom. I'll give you my thoughts when I finish the series.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just finishing up "The German Wars". Quite a different perspective when compared to "The Guns of August".

Going to start reading Cornwel next. Starting with "The Last Kingdom".

6. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Just finished House of Chains. I would have appreciated a brief summary of Deadhouse Gates for a few things. A lot of minor stuff from the Deadhouse Gate book became really important in this one, but it was a year ago. I didn't remeber a lot of details...

It was okay. My favorite Malazan book by far is Memories of Ice.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Has anyone read Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series of books? Or the "Warlord" series? I am reading the books about Uthred now and find them entertaining. Was wondering if any of his other stuff is any good?

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I got a couple Anita Blake e-books. The writer, Laurell k Hamilton is a naughty girl. This time the heroine keeps her undies mostly on. In the Merry Gentry series the boys take numbers. Some got the same one.

The fantasy parts are good also.

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Have jsut finished a massive re-read of David Gemmel's books and now waiting to get my hands on the Parasol Protectorate by Gail carriger

10. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You must have got a couple of the early ones. I stopped reading them when it stopped being Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter and became Anita Blake Vampire/Werecreature/anything else with or without a pulse F***er

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I just got back into the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Currently on The Source of Magic at the moment.

12. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Cherry-picking short stories out of The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories which features a ton of amazingly odd, quirky things. 1100+ pages it is a handful, and because the font is tiny it is really hard for me to read more than one or two stories at a time.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just read Hunger Games. Impressive.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Funny. I read it a few weeks ago and was completely underwhelmed. I didn't like any of the characters, felt that the story had been done plenty of times, and finished with only a so-so feeling about the author's writing skills.

I asked my daughter to fill me in on the next two books and wasn't vaguely surprised by the synopsis at all.

I'll see the movie, but only because I promised her I would take her this Friday.

15. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

I am reading the exact same series and I have read a few of the books before and by that I mean I have read like the first 2-3 in the past never got past that point before but now I have most of the series as ebooks and am working on getting the last 2 as well but I will be working on reading all of them. Currently reading number 4 Centaur Aisle

16. Blades of Vanatar

Just finished "Sword Song" by Bernard Cornwell, moving on to "Burning Lands" next. I am finding myself a big fan of Uthred.

17. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Just bought the new Salvatore novels (concerning Drizzt). I tried to enable the link from here so hopefully this site gets something out of it.

Also bought the Waterdeep novel.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just started The Man with the Iron Heart by Harry Turtledove (the master of alternative history). The idea is how things would be different if Reinhard Heydrich had not died of his wounds after the assassination attempt in May 1942 and was able to convince Himmler to prepare for and enter into guerrilla warfare in the German homeland instead of surrender.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nizidramanii'yt, if you want to credit SP for any Amazon purchase just go to Amazon via any of the links on SP, like those on top of the forum pages.

20. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I finally started reading the Malazan books, by Steven Erikson. I have had the series for a long time, and I got tired of them collecting dust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.