1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's your core group of four?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Beren, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sure, you have to have everybody participate at some points.

But, who`s your core group, meaning your Grey Warden character and the 3 you bring along the most?

Mine:

Elven Arcane Warrior - Deadly in the Dragon Scale armor and the Spellweaver. Uses Champion`s Shield as well.

Alistair - Funny as hell. And is devastating with his shield and sword.

Leliana - Deadly with either her bow or her daggers. Wonderful with Captivating Song as well when the swarm gets thick.

Wynne - I now have her learn the Fire tree much earlier. She can either heal, or knock everybody off their feet with Fireball. Kind of the maternal figure for my Arcane Warrior.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Most common
    Dual wielding rogue

Alistair

Sten

Wynne

Second most common
    Arcane Warrior

Alistair (I always take my warden brother)

Leliana (respec'd for dual wielding)

Wynne

Having 2 mages is sickly powerful!

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Alistair - tank
    Sten - big fook off sword swinger
    Morrigan (usually respec'd to healer/support)
    Me - whatever else I want to be, usually a dual wielding rogue or something similar

4. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    For me frequently switch a certain character in and out of my party depending on the mission but my usual group is.:

Main Character

Leliana (who I do either archer or dual wielding upgrades for-I frequently use her as a sniper)

Wynne (heals plus sometimes provides 2nd spell for some spell combinations if I'm using my mage main char)

(possible spoiler warning)

Alistair (switched w Loghain at one point)

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I usually went with Morrigan, PC(mage), Alistair, Lelianna. Alistair is likely to be in if the PC isn't a fighter, Lelianna if the PC isn't a (ranged) thief. Wynne may be in instead of Morrigan, or alongside her.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I either play as a Tank (human noble Champion / Templar sword and shield build) or a cunning-based rogue (city elf or human noble Duelist / Assassin dual-daggers).

For the former, I take the "Sacred Ashes" party for most of the game: Leliana at range and support, Morrigan nuking away, and a recalibrated Sten (use the potion from the respecialization mod to make him a dual-wielding warrior). Romancing both Leliana and Morrigan (on again, off again). I also mix in Alistair, respecialized to be a two-hander ala King Kailan, to replace Sten for certain quests that are related to his backstory (Ostegar, Redcliffe, etc.).

For the latter – which I'm playing right now and having a blast – I take Allistair (tanking), Sten (two-hander, will switch to Oghren later) and alternate between Wynne and Morrigan for magic. Romancing Morrigan only. I should also note that in all games, I respec Morrigan to be a Spirit Healer (as shapeshifting sucks). I also usually respec Wynne to be more of a fire/earth-based damage dealer, whereas Morrigan has the electricity/cold damage end covered.

So far I have never taken Shale, Zevran or Dog along for more than their own side quests.

7. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    - Alistair if my PC is Mage, dps Warrior or Rogue
    - Leliana if my PC is a Tank
    - Wynne
    - Morrigan

Two self-sustaining Blood Mages spamming Blood Wound is just too good to pass up on, three is even better :p.

Only time I don't bring both Morrigan and Wynne is when I'm doing themed parties, like all ranged parties.

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Mostly Alistair\Shale, Wynne and Leliana. Those three works well no matter what my PC is. I never use bows for Leliana though. she is way more effective with melee weapons. I usually let her wear that armour from Watchers Keep. Looks kind of badass on her.

9. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Never actually thought of doing that Rawgrim-usually I stick it on a main character but it is a thought.

She is good dual weaponed in melee but there is still a nice bonus to her being able to 1-shot some enemy mages or (sub)leaders.

10. Ben Snow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I play on xbox 360, not PC. But my party usually looks like:

PC-Rogues, I need the lock picker, and I love being able to skirt the edges of the fights and backstab/sneak attack.

Morrigan-Both for damage and healing spells.

Then the bottom two filled with either Zevhran, Allistar, or the Mabari War hound. They rotate depending on my mood. I sometimes slip Wynne in if it's a heavy magic area.

11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Charname(mage), Wynne, Leliana and Alistar.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

In my current game I only have four NPCs. I killed the rest off, seriously.

I left Sten to his death, killed Zevrin, and Wynne. I have Alister, Morrigan, and Leliana as my team with Orgen now tagging along, though I may leave him to his own device sooner than later but not so lucky so far.

Why take along the heap of characters that don't matter. I almost left Leliana to die; if I could kill her I would have myself and kept Zevrin around.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What happens at the end when your spare characters defend the gate to the city? Does the game just skip that scene if you have no spare characters? Or do you always have to have at least one spare?

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I don't know. I will find out next time when I play a rogue. I will leave Leliana behind and only take along Morrigan and Alister. Thanks.

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Hhmmmm. Depends, I tried everyone least once but I got my preferences.

- The Warden (usually a human Mage or a Dalish Archer (rogue) -- Arrow of Slaying ftw! --

- Alistair, 'cause he's funny and he's my Gray Warden bro'

- Morrigan 'cause well she's awesome. Her roles being: Pew-Pew Wooosh KABOOM (you know what I'm talking about and healing the party too I guess)

- Lelianna (if Mage) to unlock chest, detecting traps, y'know the usual roguish stuff.

- Sten (if Rogue): He may have as much personality as a stone (badum-tish.... oh come one, Sten is norwegian for stone) but damn he's powerful. I generally have a "dumb tank no-speakee" policy towards him. I couldn't care less knowing what's he about. Seriously.

While I'm at it here's my opinion of the other char;

Wynne -- Oh damn her and her composure and logic and politeness. Bah ! I've stuff to loot and creatures to kill ! Outta my way !

Zevran -- meh, there can be only one smug, womanizing elven rogue. So Outta my way dumbass

Dog -- Funny, though I'm not a dog person. So meh yet again

Oghren -- See "Sten" -- although I've come to be fond of him after playing Awakening.

Now... am I allowed to do the same concerning Awakening ? I'm not sure where to put stuff about Awakening, AFAIK it doesn't have its own sub-forum.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

You don’t defend the gate since there is no one to do it. I removed Orgen from my team right before I went into the final battle. I wonder how that will impact DAO Awakening.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What does that mean in the game? Does that sequence just not play, or does the gate get overrun or something else?

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Warden - Thief
    Alistair - Warrior
    Morrigan - Mage
    Wynne - Cleric

19. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

The sequence does not get played.

20. AngelusMortem Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    Warden - Warrior/Dual Wielder ( with mods, multiclassed Warrior/Thief/Dual Wielder )
    Morrigan - as either Arcane Warrior/Healer or Mage/Healer/Dual Wielder
    Leliana - as is
    Alistair - as is

I also use the "Quests and Legends" ( Valeria ) MOD quite a lot, and the Ser Gilmore NPC Add-on/MOD.
    So i frequently swap out Valeria ( Warrior/Theif/Dual Weilder ), Alistair, and Ser Gilmore.

It's quite fun to have 3 beautiful female NPCs that can hack and slash like nobodies business. :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.