1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new Infinity Engine game - bet you didn't see it coming!

Discussion in 'BG:EE - Siege of Dragonspear' started by Taluntain, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Source: BeamBlog

Hugin likes this.
  2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't know how I feel about it. So far, their new content didn't exactly impress.

If this isn't done right, it could leave a dark stain on the series and cost them a great deal of future business.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hmm, given the amount of exp you'd reasonably expect to start BG2 with and what you'd end BG1 with, I don't see much space for a full length game anyway. Or they have to continue using BG1's exp scheme so you don't get too much too quickly.

And for a game company whose business model is based on overhauling old games, I'm not sure how much originality one might expect in a new game.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Maybe you won't actually play the Bhaalspawn. Seeing the story from a different person's perspective could be cool, but I doubt Beamdog have it in them.

5. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm excited. But isn't it more like a new expansion then? Or is it a stand-alone game?

Let's wait and see what they can do with the 1.3 Engine :)

Ohh and after this is published , Beamdog will work on a whole new game, in a new engine :)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This will be a whole new game set between BG1 and BG2, probably with a good deal of reused and/or slightly retouched old content like maps. We'll have to wait on more info as to how exactly they'll pull it off.

7. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I'm hoping they do this right so BG3 becomes that much more likely. The only way I can see this make sense is if you will play as Imoen as she starts her multi to mage or whatever, but continuity issues aside, i'm probably going to end up buying it just to enhance any new BG runs I may do in the future.

8. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It might be very likely that this will revolve around a different char then the bhaalspawn tbh.
    What i remember from the top of my head from BIS's canceled BG3(black hound)
    The plot was not to involve the bhaalspawn, nor have any recurring characters from the first 2 BG games, though there were to be characters from IWD in there.

Thing is though, reasons for that being licensing issues, there's of course no reason why beamdog would have to work along the lines of black hound, plot-wise or character wise if/when they do make BG3.

This "adventure Y" might span the events between bg1 and 2 on a different character, who then could be used as a main char in BG3 ? just a thought.

9. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I've always thought the only direction BG3 could go would involve the PC getting stripped of their power or getting cursed by a god, most probably Cyric. Draining levels is plausible with something like that, you've got good motivation to do something about it either way, and it's an excuse to get the band together again for one last great adventure. Characters like Keldorn would obviously be out so it leaves room for new ones too.

I'd rather they leave the series alone, it wrapped up nicely enough. There's more room for IWD games or another game set in FR than there is another BG.

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    True, but i'm only going on what information was available about the cancelled BG3 (black isle's black hound project)
    Obviously a lot of things have changed over the years licencing wise, so if beamdog does make a continuation of the series there's no reason they have to go down that route however.

I'll agree that if the story has no ties to the PC/NPC's we know and love from the first 2 games, it won't be as much a continuation, as much as a stand-alone game in the same setting.
    I'm also worried that if they ever make it, if beamdog can put out a game to satisfy the fans of the originals - i love them for bringing out bg:ee, bg2:ee and iwd:ee but looking at their added content (bonus npc's, quests, and the black pits addons) i personally felt that they never really stood up as well in quality of writing compared to what was already there.

11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A training exercise for BG3?

A total reset is better. Cormyr, Myth Drannor or Sembia. all interseting places for a game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.