1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jewelery and gems

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Silkfur, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Silkfur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello I just started playing iwd and im loving it. However being new to the whole rpg genre I have a question about gems etc, do they have purpose besides their money value (except the magical ones with abilities)? Like will I need any of them in quest or to merge into an item later in the game or can I sell them with good concience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can sell them.
    There's no special purpose for standard gems, and even if there were one, you could buy them back.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

They don't even give good money for them, most gems are not worth picking up. Pick up diamonds, emeralds, rogue stones and king's tears though:they are expensive!

4. Silkfur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok thanks. without gem bags and scrollcases in this game you really fill up the inventory very fast.

5. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Oh, there is plenty of gem bags and scrollcases in the game. Especially in the OC. Just look out for them at every merchant.

Just be aware that containers doesn't come with your exported characters, so if you start a game with them in Heart of Winter, the containers are gone.

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Are gem bags really supposed to hold only 20 gems? When my Thief/Mage tries to put more in her gembag the game states it´s not possible.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know it is late, but I should point out that Gem Bags and other containers are only available if you have Heart of Winter installed.

I don't recall what the limit was, but the various bags had what seemed like small limits on them. Especially the bag of holding.
    I strongly recommend installing either the ease-of-use or its successor the G3 Tweaks mods with "bottomless bags" along with larger stacking. Inventory management is a pain, and there are several "points of no return" in this game where it will be a long time before you return to Kuldahar (the best place to stash things). You'll really want to horde the most powerful +3 or better magic projectiles until the final boss in this game, but you need to metagame in order to know when to grab them from where you stashed them (again, I suggest somewhere in Kuldahar like the tavern or inn) before you get to the point of no return when you are teleported back to Easthaven.

I'm sorry I can't say what the original limits on the bags were, I just recall them being frustratingly small. I haven't played without the ease-of-use mod in a decade.

8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have IWD+HoW+ToL+Fixpack installed.

I considered installing the tweak pack before I started playing but at first glance I did not want a lot of it´s changes like e.g. "identify all items", "arcane spellcasting in armor", "stealth in heavy armor", "multiple magical protective items together" as I consider those no fun for me in the game if all those restrictions are lifted that exist for a reason in the rules.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You can always opt to install only those components that you'd like. I don't have all components from G3Tweaks installed, but bigger stacks and bottomless containers are some of the things that I make sure I always have installed.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Indeed, I myself did not install all of the ease-of-use pack, let alone the g3 tweaks pack.
    I thought it was clearly stated that you can install each component individually, or at least it used to be. I noticed when I made the link that it is up to version 15, I think I only have 6 or 8 installed.
    I'm going to have to see if I can track down a version history so I can see if it is worth installing the latest version.

---------- Added 1 hours, 4 minutes and 1 seconds later... ----------

I didn't notice that a version history was at the bottom of the page.
    However, the new "Friendly Random Drops" was just introduced in version 15 sounds interesting enough to make me reinstall and replay the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.