1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

so, who likes Fallout 1&2?

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by The Fat Egg, Sep 16, 2000.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think that they simply rock, revolutionary games, no doubt about it. Personally I think overall i think the original was better than the sequel, although the sequel did have much better NPC control, you could actually control them! Thats practically the only flaw with the original. Who sees just how similiar Fallout 1&2 are to the classic Mad Max movies, I think that those movies were what inspired Fallout, or maybe it was Damnation Alley, it was probably both. They should make a movie about Fallout, following the same story line, that would be great.

2. Wingfoot Guest

Fallout 1 was pretty good, i just never finished it. i kinda lost interest after a while. one reason being the fact that you don't have complete control over NPCs.

i thought about starting a new game though, but i need some character creation suggestions. it took me some time to create a character, but he ended up getting his ass kicked all the time.

i haven't played Fallout 2. i have heard it is good, so maybe i will pick it up if i can get back into the 1st one.

3. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

That's why I'm here. Here come some suggestions.

If you want to be a charismatic guy who talks his way in and out of things you'll want the following character:

ST:4
    PE:7
    EN:4
    CH:10
    IN:6
    AG:5
    LK:4

Tag:
    Barter
    Speech
    Small Guns

Traits:
    Good Natured
    Night Person

If you want an all out fighter you'll need the following skills:

ST:10
    EN:10
    CH:1
    IN:4
    AG:7
    LK:1

Tag:
    Small Guns
    Big Guns
    Energy Weapons

Traits:
    Bloody Mess
    Chem Resistant

And finally if you want to be a stealthy backstabbing character you'll want this:

ST:6
    PE:10
    EN:7
    IN:5
    AG:10

Tag:
    Lockpick or Traps
    Steal
    Sneak

Traits:
    Night Person
    Chem Resistant

Fighters will do best, stealthy characters will do well in some areas but weak in others, charisma characters will do badly at the end but well in the beginning.

i suggest a fighter to start with, as the other two are more difficult.

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited September 16, 2000).]

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Wingfoot, I don't suggest buying Fallout 2 until you've mastered fallout 1, F2 is much harder, and it has a slower more calm pace making for a long gaming session. And if you get your ass kicked in F1 you'll get it kicked twice as much in F2. but hey, its your money.

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited September 17, 2000).]

5. Wingfoot Guest

well Egg, i got a copy Fallout from a friend who didn't play it any more, manual and all. but you can by both games for 20 bucks, so its not that expensive.

i started a new game today, and i forgot how awesome this game is. thanks for the character creation tips. i went with a fighter type.

ST:9
    EN:9
    IN:4
    AG:9

i chose the same Tag Skills that you mentioned for a fighter type, but those were the same as i used before.

and for traits i went a different route for a fighter type: Fast Shot and Skilled. why would you take Bloody Mess. is there a reason to choose this trait other than to see a bloody mess?

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

I chose bloody mess because it has no real efect on the game, and because fast shot makes it so you can't target, and skilled make sit so that you only gain a perk every 4 levels, and perks are heavily needed and very useful.

7. Wingfoot Guest

i chose Fast Shot because of the -1 modifier to Action Points. is being able to perform taregeted shots better than being able to get 3 shots off each turn.

i agree with not using Skilled though because you get Perks at later levels. there are some nice ones to choose from. i'm not that far along and am considering starting a new character and picking something besides Skilled.

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Yes. Three normal shots lets say you get 18 per shot, that's 54, well with two targeted shots you'll get aabou 38 points times two, and if your lucky yuo'll some how cripple the other character.

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I really loved both F1 & F2. I'm glad these is a new area to post about these games. Please see my post in the IWD area. The one thing I'd add it that I always increased my luck and took the finnese (sp?) perk. I love having a 19 or 20% chance for a crit. Who cares about the -2 to Hand-to-hand damage. It does hurt a little at the start of F2, when you don't have any guns. But later on what's 2 points when you do 30.

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Quite right, Voltric. In the end critical hits and energy weapons is what'll win you the game.

11. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

then again, if you have a powerful non-energy weapon i.e. gauss weapon, you can still do serious damage.

12. Wingfoot Guest

well, i started a new game and chose different Traits this time. i went with Bloody Mess and Chem Resistant. those two seem to have bettter trade-off's than any of the other Traits.

being able to target is key and gianing Perks at an earlier level is even better.

Dogmeat kicks some serious ass. speaking of NPC's i'm wondering if they level up and are X.P. split between your character and NPC's?

13. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

NPCs don't level up or change in any way. All eaxperience even if they earned it goes to you.

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Currect me if I'm wrong, I haven't played in a year or more, but I thought that in F2 NPCs in your 'party' did 'level' when you did. I mean their HPs go up and such. That was my memory. I did like the improved NPC control in F2 as well.

15. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Yes, that happens in F2, but not in the original, and I also liked the increased NPC control.

16. Ominix2 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

BAH! Yer all wrong. The best charactor for F1 is:

ST: 5
    PE: 9
    EN: 7
    CH: 1
    IN: 7
    AG: 9
    LK: 9

Tag: Barter
    Small Guns
    Energy Weapons

Traits: Gifted
    Finesse

Now you have the ultimate sniper. I forgot what I put my perks in, but they all had to do with guns. Charisma doesn't matter in F1 for NPCs, and speech doesn't play nearly as big a roll as F2. With luck 9, you can get good criticals, and also you might get the alien spaceship encounter. I did, and it is the best gun in the game! Its only problem is short range. It took me 2 (count em') shots to kill the last boss guy. Also, you can artificially raiseall your stats by one, so don't put anything at 10

Om

17. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

No 10's for F2 maybe, but those changes don't apply for F1, so you,re partially right.

18. Ominix2 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

No, you can pay the doctor in the Brotherhood of Steel for most upgrades, and I got a charisma boost from some Celtic bard. This is in F1

19. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] You can get the BHoS to do upgrades for ST, AG, EN, and INT. You have two chances to raise your luck. Once by the bard - ask him to sing, and once by the palm reader south of the boneyard.
    The alien weapon maybe the strongest but the turbo plasma rifle sure rocked for me.

20. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

The .233 pistol rocks! I killed a deathclaw (one of the hardest enemies) in only three targeted hits with small guns skill around 120.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.