1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout (1) 2 weapons

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by ToTaL, Sep 12, 2002.

1. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

What is best weapon in Fallout 2?

I'm interested in solving one argument I had with my good friend about best weapon in Fallout 2 (since we agreed that turbo plasma rifle was best all-in-all weapon but we he somethimes insisted on "laser gatling gun" but I thought it uses too much ammo and alien gun is not sure since you must have luck (real life not just stat :) ) to find it, and even than has crappy range)! Ok, back to 2nd part: My vote goes to Bozar since it has good dmg, ammo is not problem in 2nd part and it has good range and it is precise enough even on larger distances. Turbo plasma rifle was bugged in my version, but even, I think, the gauss rifle is better than TPR from first part.

P.S. About getting best weapon/armor on the start of the game, in Fallout 2> almost, but you must have a lot of money you often don't have on start.
    As for Fallout 1> you can without a problem!

[ September 12, 2002, 18:21: Message edited by: total ]

2. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I say that the Vindicator minigun that you find at the Enclave at the last part of the game is probably the most powerful, I killed Horrigan with one hit from it once. It shreds the Enclave troopers as well.

3. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

IMHO the bozar and the gauss rifle are the best, but the vindicator minigun and turbo plasma rifle come close

oh, and could someone tell me how about how you get the best armour and weapon in the beginning. I have playd F2 a lot and have never heard of anything like this :confused:

[ September 12, 2002, 19:08: Message edited by: Frostmage ]

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Vindicator minigun won't help you much if you're 200% in small guns. Use Gauss Rifle.

Oh, don't forget this: for Vic the best is any energy small pistol. I've finished Fallout2 with only Vic and Cassidy in my party believe it or not!

5. Ark Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

well i think the only weapon that you can use to dish out a lot of damage in one shot is the pulse rifle.

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

A bit off-topic, but I was always very dissapointed by the way assault rifles performed in Fallout. Spent all my money on one to do about ten damage in a burst, I would probably have been better off with a magnum. And what about that pulse gun in Fallout 2 you can find in the Brotherhood bunker and on some Enclave soldiers? It reduces just about everything except Horrigan to ash in one shot.

7. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Vindicator does some insane damage sometimes. :p

But I'm not sure; I only played through the game twice, and it was some years ago now. But I'd say Pulse or Gauss Rifle or Vindicator Minigun.

8. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

definitely the pulse rifle, common 70 in a singel shot!!!! even to enclaves!!!!! Imagine targeted ones!!! The second best IMO is that M72 rifle.

[ September 13, 2002, 20:23: Message edited by: Ray192 ]

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Gauss rifle.

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That's the beauty of the game. You can't say "this is the best weapon".

Miniguns rock out compeletly on unarmoured targets. And on unarmoured grouped targest, they are unbeatable for the burst effect. This was true for fo1, and it's still true for fo2.

In fallout1, nothing stood up to plasma very well. Half the time, you just melted him and his armour. The pulse rifle is it's replacement. Armour just doesn't stand up to it, but if you're shooting at an unarmoured target, then you're better off with another weapon.

Trying to figure out who's armoured and who's not can get you killed if you don't have a little buffer in there like "fast pockets"...

Bottom Line: Carry more than one weapon.

11. Jekknol Bok Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] First off, the single most damaging weapon is the vindicator minigun, but it has two major downsides. 1) The 4.7mm caseless ammo is the rarest in the game (after 9mm ball, but who uses that?) and the vindicator guzzles it. 2) Against heavily armored oponents each individual bullet can end up doing 0 damage which is a grand total of 0, though usually 9-27(tiny for end game) unless you're getting endless criticals.

The Avenger just doesn't work against armor, again because of each bullet being counted individually.

This leaves the bozar/M60 as the only "big guns" viable in the long term.

The best "small guns"/"energy weapons" are definitely the pulse rifle(which should replace the turbo plasma from the enclave onwards) the gauss rifle and the alien blaster though as previously mentioned the alien blaster can only be found in an obscure "travelling salesman" encounter only found with high luck and get this, only found in a particular 3x3 area north of Modoc.

So the obvious conclusion I came to was:

Take magnum revolver(speed load) with 10 LK and sniper and bonus ranged shot perks. Aimed shots to eyes kills everything but Horrigan in 1 shot about 2/3ds of the time(this includes aliens and floaters, the pulse rifle can't do this).
    I finished the game without any NPC's armed only with the Mag. Rev.

A small tip: do the boxing matches in Reno, they permanently increase your DT and DR.

To get Advanced Power Armour and Y2KB Pulse rifle at start of game: make sure your strong enough to kill Chris(any good starting character with pipe rifle from Vic's place in Klamath) and take a stroll down to Navarro. It will already be on your world map. You may run into Enclave patrols but just reload. Just kill Chris and go down the hatch in the hut behind him. From there you can just walk past the guards into the storeroom and help yourself.

If I ever get round to playing this wonderful game again(still have BG2 + IWD to play) I'm gonna play an unarmed character.(Horrigan is critically hit in eyes for 57 damage blinding the horrible mutated bigot.)

[ September 14, 2002, 03:03: Message edited by: Jekknol Bok ]

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I love the bozar. Once you get the perk increasing your rate of fire, you can put out 30 rounds for 24-35 damage a turn. Ow

13. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] It all depends on your picks:

Energy Weapons: Alien blaster or the Electropulse rifle. Armor has almost no use preventing damage from these weapons.

Small Guns: Gauss pistol (yes, Gauss rifle does more damage per shot; but with the pistol you may get an extra attack if you play right your perks).

Big Guns: Bozar and Vindicator. Both do an INSANE amount of damage, but with the rareness of 4.7 mm caseless ammo and almost no Vindicators around in the mainland, Bozar is the choice.

Unarmed: The charged fist improved.

Melee: The knife maybe, I don't use them too much.

I almost can't remember most names. It's been ages since I gave The Ecnlave a taste of .233 FMJ

14. Ray192 Gems: 5/31

"To get Advanced Power Armour and Y2KB Pulse rifle at start of game: make sure your strong enough to kill Chris(any good starting character with pipe rifle from Vic's place in Klamath) and take a stroll down to Navarro. It will already be on your world map. You may run into Enclave patrols but just reload. Just kill Chris and go down the hatch in the hut behind him. From there you can just walk past the guards into the storeroom and help yourself."

actually, don't kill chris, just tell him "is this navaro?" and then tell him your a new recruit, if you have high enough chrisma or speech, he'll give you the password, and then just do the same, however, I remeber that the enclave doesn't have a pulse rifle, I found mine at the san fransisco brotherhood, just go to san first, talk to the brotherhood guard for the quest of getting the vertibird plans, go to navarro, raid the lockers in the bottom, put on power armor, talk to one of the guys in the lab coat, ask him about the vertibird plans, go to thegarage to the east, talk to the enginner guy and tell him that raul sent you, he'll let you raid teh lockers, which include the plans and some goodies like super sledge hammer, go to the eastern garage, talk to raul, say that the previous guy cussed him, then raid HIS lockers, go back to san, give the plans to the brotherhood guy, go in the brotherhood building, go down the elevator, and raid the lockers for goodies and the pulse rifle.

"Melee: The knife maybe, I don't use them too much."

actually, it's the super sledge."

"

[ September 16, 2002, 19:16: Message edited by: Ray192 ]

15. TheNovak Gems: 5/31

It may not be the overall best weapon, but my favorite is the Super Sledge. I just love seeing them go flying...sucks when they slide off the map and die, though :(

The Pulse Rifle wins the award for all-time best, though. And the Alien Blaster was cool, even if I only found it once, and with a character who didn't know a small gun from Nebraska :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.