1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout question

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Jinksy, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Jinksy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Does anyone know whether the recentish White Label Fallout Collection pack has children in it? I've bought it as a gift for someone, and want to give her instructions about what's worth installing before she plays it (without actually playing her gift myself). It won't be much of a gift if she can't riddle kiddies with large holes from a nice homely minigun.

I would ask on No Mutants Allowed, btw, but since the forum disallows free emails and they're my only addy, I can't register. If anyone doesn't know the answer but has an account there, I'd muchly appreciate it if they could post my question and link me to the relevant thread.

2. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Fallout and Fallout 2 both have little kids in them. If memory serves, children are mostly present in the early parts of both games, so your character doesn't have any big guns yet.

If you want to murder children, you can go back and do it, but that usually turns the entire village against you, so it's more of a do-it-once-or-twice-then-reload-saved-game-and-get-on-with-it kind of thing.

I'd ask what your friend does for a living, but now I'm not sure I want to know.

3. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

There are no children in the first Fallout, only in the sequel.

I'm fairly certain the White Label version of Fallout 2 is the one with the children crudely removed - the one I bought was, anyway - so I'd recommend the little fix that puts them back in.

I can't remember where to find the fix, though. It's been so long.

4. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There are children in the first Fallout. Go to Tandi's village and you'll see them running all over town.

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

There are no children in the European versions of both games. There are unofficial patches that add them, though.

I don't know about the White Label releases, but the Sold Out version of F2 doesn't have them; perhaps that means none of the budget versions do.

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmmh, actually, European version, at least Fallout 2, does seem to have kids at some points, but no sprites for them. In one random encounter, I found a family once, fighting againts raiders (although "getting killed by" would be more accurate) and the kid had the "ragged, sickly man" sprites. You know, the one that looks almost like a ghoul.

7. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

IIRC only the UK and GER versions of Fallout 2 had the children removed. You can get them back with a simple patch anyway...

8. Condor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

9. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    The French version didn't have kids either. You can restore kids to the UK version with the patch.

Don't forget to press shift while playing the credits, you'll be able to read some very funny lines.

Minor Spoiler!!!

Actually there is a line of dialogue with the nurse in Vault City in which you can choose a dialogue option which goes like this:
    "There are no kids because it's the European version of Fallout 2" (iirc). ;)

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

there is no Europe version of the game, thier is an english, german, scandinavian and so on, the scandinavian has children in it.

11. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I found this information so disturbing that I started looking into it. Lo and behold! I'm downloading that patch right now.

It's kind of sad, really. I've completed this game dozens of times and I never knew there were supposed to be kids. Damn UK version. Time for another runthrough soon.

Thanks. :thumb:

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Cradhras, actually the whole line is IIRC: "Well, I thought that there might not have been children since this is the European version of Fallout 2. Bye"
    Also, the same character that triggers this conversation explains why there are no cats in the game. "Too friendly and trusting. And people were hungry" :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.