1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Moving on...

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 10, 2013.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, that took a lot longer than I had anticipated. The contract finally got approved by legal, they met my salary demands (I got nearly a 25% increase in salary - woohoo!) and they even agreed to let me take the vacation I have planned for next month. (It's not that I wouldn't have taken the job if they didn't let me go on vacation, but seeing as I already, you know, PAID FOR IT, it would have sucked to not go. My wife and son probably would have gone without me, but I don't have to worry about that now.)

I still feel not altogether right about it, although I technically haven't even left yet. I have submitted my resignation, and I'm now in the two-week period of giving formal notice and actually ending my time here. And it's really over now for all practical purposes. I spent most of the early part of the week transferring work over to people. Everyone will be out of the office on Thursday for Independence Day, which means pretty much everyone will take a vacation day on Friday (myself included) and make it a 4-day weekend.

Next week I have to perform all of my exit interviews related to my clearance, so I won't be doing much actual work. Even though I'm going from once job requiring a clearance to another, my current employer must deactivate my clearance and then the other employer picks in back up. One thing I found a little shocking is the amount of time you get to keep an inactive clearance - two years. Basically upon leaving a company that requires a clearance, you have two years to get a job with someone else requiring a clearance. So long as you had an active clearance in the last two years, the new employer can reactivate it and you're good to go. If it's more than two years, then you have to go through the whole process like you never had a clearance in the first place.

Bladezuez and Montresor like this.
  2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Congrats, Aldeth. What was the outcome regarding the people you wanted to take with you?

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Only the one woman who I wanted to bring from the beginning. And she technically isn't hired yet. I'll be one of the people who interview her as it turns out. I already know I want her, and I can't possibly conceive how, with 8-10 positions needed to be filled within the department that she would not be among those who I think are best suited. Truth be told, it's because of the number of positions available that I considered taking others.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.