1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stanley Cup Playoffs 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Apr 11, 2012.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ugh, way to go Ward. Less than a minute to go in a playoff game your team is winning and you take a double minor? Just great.

And don't even get me started on Nashville...

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The final four are set, but you could almost call this like a tennis tourney semi-finals using the goalies names in place of their teams.

LA Kings (Quick) vs. Phoenix (Smith)

NJ (Brodeur) vs. NYR (Lundqvist)

Edit: Oops. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I believe you mean Lundqvist there ;)

Also with the elimination of Washington, my interest in the rest of the playoffs is pretty much dead. I would prefer not to see Phoenix win, but even then I wouldn't mind all that much. The teams that are left just don't interest me all that much.

Ah well, this time next year we'll be celebrating the Leafs eighth straight playoff win after they sweep the first two rounds... Right?!

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think I would still take Roy. I think Roy's best years were better than Brodeur's best years.

Nah.... He spells it wrong. Everyone knows that a "q" is always followed by a "u".

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You've gotta hand it to the LA Kings. After having barely snuck into the playoffs on Quick's shoulders, it took a lot of heart and grit on their part to knock off the #1, #2, and #3 teams of the conference in straight succession while losing only 2 games.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yeah, it's an interesting phenomenon here, especially with both the Lakers and Clippers out of the NBA playoffs in the second round. The bandwagon got very crowded.

While I have been watching the NHL playoffs (they are far more interesting than the NBA playoffs, although the Spurs/Thunder series should be fun) I cannot call myself a Kings fan. I've been to several games, but certainly not with a rooting interest for the Kings.

7. Beren

Media:
    Mind you, Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick are doing a lot to beckon new passengers to the bandwagon.

Brown was struggling during the regular season, and then all of a sudden comes alive during the playoffs. He really has been a monster in the playoffs, combining speed, physicality, scoring, grit, and that elusive ability to get underneath the other team's skin to the point of throwing them well off their game.

8. reepnorp

Media:
    Kings for the Cup! At least I've been on the bandwagon from the start of the playoffs. My hatred for Vancouver led me to cheer for LA right off the bat :D

I couldn't agree more about Brown, the tenacity he brings to the team keeps showing game after game. Combining that with insane numbers Quick has been putting up and it's hard not to like them.

On a more amusing note, if NY makes it to the finals, they will have played 21 games already compared to the 14 that LA has. Brown has 16 points and is +13 with Kopitar at 15 points and +13 through 14 games where the best NY has is Richards at 14 points and -2 through 19 games. Unreal.

9. Beren

Media:
    I have to laugh and cheer at the demise of the Phoenix Coyotes. Not to prove Bettman is an idiot for trying to bring hockey into the middle of the desert, which he is. :D

But the way they've been playing.

Any team that brings Raffi Torres onto their roster is basically telling the other 29 teams, "Hey boys and girls, take care, cause we just hired on the most infamous bounty hunter in the league, and come playoff time, we're gonna have him take out your star players."

And sure enough, Torres deliberately (imho) aims his shoulder high at Hossa's head well after the play, and leaves him sprawled with a major concussion.

Then Mike Smith and Shane Doan were pretty free with their stick work during the playoffs. For them to whine about Brown's play afterwards is, to put it mildly, pot calling the kettle black. Good riddance Coyotes, open season on your species come September.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Those devil's sure are devil's. They did well, good tactics on the ice, and of-course insane saves by Brodeur.

I was rooting for New York, but fair and square.

I will switch to LA. I believe they never had one.

Is it not odd that they play ice hockey in the summer? It was 26 degrees centigrade here. (78 fahrenheit)

11. Beren

Media:
    Wow did Kopitar ever undress Brodeur on that OT goal.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Tal's got to be a Kings fan here, right? That was a fun game.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    After so many saves, he is allowed to miss one.

14. Beren

Media:
    True, Quick did get lucky at least a couple of times, where Devil's players had the open net and just couldn't finish it. But that goal was definitely highlight reel worthy.

15. Merlanni

Media:
    I hope it will be 6 or 7 games.

16. reepnorp

Media:
    The Kings have just been phenomenal throughout the playoffs. I only started watching tonight's game partway through the third, but at no point in overtime did the Devils look like they were a serious threat; pretty much every good change NJ had in OT was the result of a bad play by LA rather than a good play by NJ to get it into the zone.

Only two more to go!

17. Beren

Media:
    Quick and Brodeur have been about as epic a goalie match-up as there ever could be. The difference then becomes the teams that surround them.

18. reepnorp

Media:
    Fun fact: Last night the Kings became the first team in NHL history to start all four rounds of the playoffs by going 3-0.

19. Beren

Media:
    And if they win tomorrow's game, they'll tie the record set by the Oilers in 1988 for most dominant playoffs performance ever since teams have had to play 4 rounds to win the Cup.

Lofty standard indeed. ;)

20. Merlanni

Media:
    A win, okay, but this was a boxing knockdown. 8 counts.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.