1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DM PnP organization

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Bateluer, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

A question for you elder DMs out there: How do you keep youselves organized when DMing a game?

2. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] DM screen is a good tool, 3 way folded card with useful tables on the inside. Buy one (~$10) or make your own.
    If you know the party pretty well and know your monsters you can sketch out a quick "what A, B, C.... needs to hit monsters ....X,Y,Z matrix.

3. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] 3x5 index cards are a must! Have one set with your monsters and treasures on them and another with your room notes on them. Stack and spread them out so you can quickly switch as you have to and insist that you really do need that much table.

4. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

oh and if you're like me and can't afford a screen, use two folders and stand them so they overlap slightly

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A screen is a good idea, don't let them see what you are up to. I'm a big fan of the index cards. Some with monster stats and some with treasure on them. I print out my maps, one player copy and one DM copy. I then use the cards to keep track of all my notes on the maps.

In addition a "what if" tree help keep the plot going. You are never going to think of everything your players will do but try to cover the major alternatives.

Also have the "info notepad" read to write down name and places the PC see or interact with. I then transfer this info over to my master list after the adventure. This way you can build on things and not forget details for the past.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.