1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When will the snow stop

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by The Great Snook, Feb 17, 2015.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    /begin vent

Here in the Boston MA USA area we are getting crushed under record breaking snowfall. In my town since I believe February 1st 2015 we have something like 6 feet of snow and have had two storms that actually qualified as blizzards.

My budget for snow removal is blown all to hell.

I have no place to throw this stuff anywhere.

I have water streaming in to the house from the ice dams on the gutters.

I have a crew coming to the house to shovel the roof before it caves in and to hopefully stop the water. This is setting me back another $1,000.

I can't even imagine what the flooding will be like if spring ever comes.

Then in the summer, I'm sure they will tell us to conserve water as we will be in a drought.

I know it is selfish, but I kind of wish my son wasn't off at college. It would be nice to have an 18 year old to do all of this. I am getting way too old to be spending hours at a time in single digit temperatures (F not C so it is really cold) shoveling snow. This is a young man's game.

/end venting

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    C'mon Snook, you must be making this stuff up; "they" say snow is a thing of the past due to global warming! :lol:

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sounds like something Canadians and Scandinavians deal with every year.

Sounds pretty bad though. Unfortunately, we can expect to see more and more of freak weather every year for quite some time yet.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gee, that's tough Snook. I was thinking to myself this morning when I went out to play tennis, that the 63 degrees was a little nippy, but it will be in the high 70's to low '80's today.

What?

You chose to live there.

:p

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Should have been in Winnipeg last year. Wasn't so bad this year, but last year ...

All of Canada had it pretty rough. But in Winnipeg, the snow was piled so high that the sidewalks were like World War I trenches. Unreal ...

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And here I complain if we get more than 50cm of the stuff... thanks for putting my good fortune into perspective, Snook. Good luck getting the roof cleared. Oh and you might want to invest into gutter and downspout de-icing cables. With conditions like that, they sound more like a necessity than a luxury. Getting your main paths to and around the house wired would be a good idea as well. Then you'll be able to bemoan your electricity bill instead of your health. ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    dmc likes this.
  7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Good points Tal. I completely forgot about those things once I moved away from winter.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    So for a quick update. It hasn't snowed since Saturday, but last night the temperature dipped to -12F. It was so cold that for the first time in my life I had the pleasure of enjoying "Frost quakes". Basically what they are is there is such a huge temperature difference between the house and the outside that the building materials contract and shift. Let me tell you, nothing can quite scare the crap out of you as having your house basically make cracking sounds while you are in it sleeping. I was convinced the house was going to fall on us. The only thing that has calmed me down a bit is that they are reporting this all over the news as people were panicking and tonight shouldn't be as cold so hopefully it won't happen.

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That sound is usually pretty harmless. It is very unsettling though.

10. dmc

Media:
    Not nearly as scary as genuine earthquakes. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.