1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Falklands

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The Argies are gettng cross again.

Why do they keep flogging this dead horse? An attempt to generate some nationalist fervour? It'll never work because there's no chance we'll be giving them back.

And what the hell is Obama thinking? Calling for negotiations and using the islands Spanish name? Tit.

I had to laugh at "Crude Colonial Power" :lol:

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's interesting that the admiral doesn't think you'd be able to defend the islands again today and that you'd need the US to help you.

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    Our defence and army has had cuts left, right and centre under the current government. This has hit the navy most, and they've either sold off or decommissioned a load of carriers & ships. We're in no state to have any fight anyone at the moment. However, the islanders themselves overwhelmingly want to remain under British sovereignty, so the Argies will have to take them by force if they want them - I'm sure the rest of the world will love that.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I thought this was settled about 30 years ago, no?

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    You'd think so, the Argentines seem obsessed about it. Our position will not change on this, but if the Argies do continue to strongly push, or even invade again then Mr Obama has a lot to answer for. All he needed to do was say 'stfu Argentina, get over it' or even just say nothing at all, and the threat of American intervention would have been enough for Argentina to drop it.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Not to be flippant about this, but I don't think this is even on Obama's - or anyelse living in America - radar. I'm a news junkie, and your link is the first I'm hearing of it. Just checked CNN.com, not one story on the whole damn site, although I suppose if I went to the search button I'd find it. But the site does show the top 10 stories of the day in the "world" section, and this story isn't one of them.

Most Americans do not even know where (or what for that matter) the Falklands are. It's just not something that anyone here is getting excited about - including the president.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    No-one here either, it's not even top 10 in the BBC national news bit. I doubt most people here will be aware of it; the Argies have spouted off this kind of thing before.

It's all a question of self-determination. For as long as the people wish to remain British, it is the British government's responsibility to uphold that right. If we were ever to 'hand-over' the Falklands against the wishes of the islanders themselves it would be an absolute disgrace.

I just don't understand why they continue to go on about it. Unless they ante-up and do something about it, they should shut up. The islands are British, end of.

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    True the royal navy has been hit hard by spending cuts, the decomissioning of Ark Royal being at the top, but the RN still has the power to defend the island if necessary, it would just be a serious pain in the arse.

while ships have and aircraft have been decomissioned they havent been broken-up yet and are reserviceble and all of the ordinance is safely stored in scotland, Ive always said, not to worry about british forces, we have a 'plan B'

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not much care-factor that one around here either.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Fox reported on it

I'm curious as to how the Brits are responding to this. I was personally ashamed that he would side with Argentina on this issue. My understanding is that the residents of The Falklands are all British citizens and wish to remain so. If they wanted to be under Argentinian rule I don't think the British could do anything to stop them from changing. To call the islands by the Argentinian name IMO was a slap in the face to our best ally.

It really makes me wonder what his strategy is with concerns to our allies. He seems to be not so friendly with our historically best friends (U.K. and Isreal)

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    :doh: Of course! It's Obama's fault!!!

[​IMG]

12. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's been covered on several of the "right wing" websites for a week or so.
    There were links to this on the 10th http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...enezuela-in-oas-declaration-on-the-falklands/,
    11th http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...vent-Argentina-retaking-Falkland-Islands.html & http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/11/argentina-and-the-falklands-a-background-post/
    this on the 12th http://faustasblog.com/?p=26500 .

Most of those that read these sites have been aware of it. The links to the telegraph site were on at least a dozen or so sites.

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    What's that, rg? That's it's Obama's fault? No surprises there. But let's see if we can make this thread about Obama as well. What do you say? ;)

:lol:

Argentina is a partner with the US in the supposed "War on Terror." Argentina IS an ally of the US. In the 1980's Reagan had the same problem as Obama and had to walk the fence until it became clear that he had to choose. Argentina had been helping the Reagan people with the contra's in Central America during the early 1980s. The Reagan administration was divided over the issue but in the end sided with the UK after holding out. Since the US and England are so close, I suspect that if there is going to be a war we would still side with England. Nevertheless, it's not as cut-and-dry as you make it out to be. It was not for Reagan and it is not for Obama, despite your shame of not knowing that Argentina is an important ally of the US.

You can read more in the report to Congress:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL34734.pdf

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  14. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Oh no chandos, I wasn't trying to say it was obama's fault. I was just saying that a lot of the sites had reported on the falkland situation last week.
    Sorry if I didn't make that clearer :)

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Thank you, rg, for adding that. I was looking at your links. Actually, it can be an interesting topic to see how Obama will work through all this.

16. Shoshino

Media:
    Regardless of Argentinia being an ally of the US the US have no right to interfere with something which has absolutely nothing to do with them, calling for negotiations over the sovereignty is ludicrious;

- it is simple -

Argentina say the island is theirs, the UK have held sovereignty of the Falklands since 1833, far longer then the Argentines ever held the island.
    the people of the Falklands consider themselves British, and claim full British citizenship.
    The argentines argue that the islanders dont have the right to decide this, as they were not the original inhabitants of the island, and were brought to replace the Argentine population.
    However the British infact settled the Island in 1690, far earlier then the spanish who only had claim to the island in 1766, when they bought France out of their settlements, the British were expelled by force in 1770.
    So argentinas argument is moot.

there is no negotiating.

The Great Snook likes this.
  17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, we did it the last time. So it's nothing new for those who are familiar with history. For you to say that "it has absolutely nothing to do with the US" is not a statement grounded in reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Events_leading_to_the_Falklands_War

18. Shoshino

Media:
    and the treaty obligations clearly define that the US has no grounds to assist either party in the conflict. therefore it is nothing to do with them.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I just looked up the wiki site, and according to that, about 30% of the population consider themselves British, about 60% consider themselves "Falkland Islander" and the remaining 10% is a mix of a bunch of different groups. Seeing as how the islands were uninhabited at the time they were discovered, what the heck is a "Falkland Islander"? It makes them sound like they are a native population to the islands, but if the islands were, in fact, uncolonized at the time they were discovered, who are these people?

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    The vast majority of these people risked their lives to stay British, and get insanely angry at any suggestion of the islands falling under Argentinian sovereignty. The place is about as British as anywhere in the British Isles, and the Argies have no real claim to the place whatsoever. Hell, the islands were held by Britain, France, Spain and even the US before there was any Argentinian occupation. They're the imperialists in all this, not the UK.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.