1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 - Dungeon-Be-Gone Mod Review

Discussion in 'Mod Reviews' started by NaeVa, May 8, 2004.

1. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Yes and no--it's a reference to the pet shop you can access during Minsc's Lost Boo quest, but you can not actually trade familiars or anything like that. It's also not a place you can normally access from another area, only during the quest.

2. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

3. KrowKnight Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i love this mod i always die near the 1st so this will help me

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hah, the point of the Mod is not to help you if you die that easily. It is to get people who have played through the dungeon a billion and a half times. Maybe you should try playing throught it more slowly, taking time to heal so you don't rush into a battle unprepared...

Great Mod, though, and Jasper is hilarious. His voice can get a little grating, but I like his scripts nonetheless. A Near-perfect mod, and the slight imperfections are easily overlooked.

5. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It is a great Mod (Modification). As to cheating or not I think it is everyones personal choice. Sometimes I cheat (alot) and sometimes I play it straight.

6. Sir Farivald

Sir Farivald The Obsidian Cleric

I don't know how many times in the past I've thought about replaying Baldur's Gate II, but then that little demon in my mind whispers "Irenicus' Dungeon..." and puts me off.

This mod helped, and now I'm more immersed in the game than I ever was before - I wouldn't be if I'd had to do Irenicus' Dungeon, as I probably wouldn't have started.

There was a time when I was shouting lines from the dungeon in my sleep. *shudder*

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I simply don't understand the need for this mod. If it helps some people though, great. But by the time you get tired of ID because of too many play-throughs, you should be getting tired of every area from too many play-throughs. The only way you'd be playing ID more times is if you give up partway through your game and start over, which would just make you a quitter. ;)

I view the entire game as a wide tapestry, and not looking at all parts (whether it be beginning or end) spoils the overall effect. I wouldn't dream of cutting out any of it, especially not a part that's so plot-filled. After all, don't you want ot find out how the heck you got from being on top of the world freeing the Sword Coast from a mighty villain, to being tortured in an unlicensed dungeon in Amn? That seems like a bit of a step to me. :heh:

From what I've heard of the mod, though, it sounds like it was very well put together. I wonder if someone will make a mod to cut out other parts too? Like the planar prison quest if you want HD but don't want the hassle. Or something to cut out that repetative Brynnlaw-Spellhold part. The Underdark gets far too much play too, and Suldanessellar seems like the same thing every time as well. Modding is full of possibilities...

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, when there's a scarcity of choices for escaping the Dungeon, it's boring. You have to activate the Sewer golem to open the doors. No way around that bit. Okay, you can just snitch the portal key and skip the dryads altogether. On the second floor, you can just fight the mephits and portals, detrap an area, kill some assassins and leave.

How many methods can you try out before you fall asleep and wake up to see that damn reload screen because the PC bought the farm? Yes, I have taken naps during Chateau Irenicus! :lol: Even taking the fastest way through, that place is more linear than a straight line.

Great mod, imo. Now, if only the cutscenes could be taken out... ;)

9. Sir Farivald

No no, the cutscenes are great! Any cutscene with Irenicus is great, he's wonderful! Awesome acting.

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

There is a shortened cutscenes component, of the EoU I think. It has Irenicus asking for your auto-graph on his T-shirt :eek: *shudders* :mommy:

11. Sir Farivald

12. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I have Razfallow's Slightly Improved Ilyich, so I don't need Dungeon-Be-Gone so much any more. :)

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Some mods needs awarding with a statue. Even Irenicus would have been proud. By the way you can go back and get, but no that would be cheating, and we do not do wicked things

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed, this is a brilliant mod, brilliant! Althought I always managed to get trough the dungeon, not because of difficulty but because of it getting so painfully repeating, mind you, I never enjoyed it after about 15 times of playing (actually more than 15, lost count in my worst gaming frenzy last summer, about 20 playtroughs actually during that time)
    Irenicus' lines were stickied in my mind.
    So, after having no point in playing it again and again, I tried DBG, and results were great! I was really satisfied with the fact that the high n' mighty dungeon full of goblins was now nothing but a bad memory.

I would rate it myself around 10/10, for the simple fact it keeps it's promise and does what is needed. Also I liked Jasper, "That Haer'dalis jackass" :D

15. Alestair83 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Or Felinoid could be like me just getting a working copy of it again after playing it for many years yet still remember every bloody line in that dungeon and not wanting to repeat it.....The dungeon is to Introduce players to the game and everything not required to understand the game. But really its a choice so people like Korgal and Felinoid who seem to think using the mod is shameful or a bad thing really need to get a reality check. If you don't like it fine don't use it but don't fuss about it when other's do that's stupid.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You know, making your first post a combination of thread necromancy and an attack on other members is not particularly auspicious . . .

17. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Pardon me for the vague description,

but i had a problem with the dialogues in this mod when i installed Chloe mod on top of it.

The bard was speaking to me in some jumbled riddles about Anomen and Chloe. The problems continued even after I uninstalled Chloe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.