1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Moving to XenForo... coming soon!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As it turned out the import of our social groups would also have been problematic since XF has no social group functionality, so we'd either need to import them into a social groups mod on XF (not a good option) or pay a coder to adjust an old vB4 social groups -> forums converter/importer to work with the new importer we'll be using. Which would take some time again.

Luckily, however, some digging and a little help from a friendly coder on vB.org pointed me in the direction of a little-known vBulletin mod that also contained the functionality to convert social groups and their discussions into proper forums and threads. And what'd you know -- the mod worked exactly as advertised! I managed to copy all the social groups data into a standard forum, so this will now get imported into XF along with all our other forums (I hope!).

Once I have the time I'll go over all the social group content and likely move all the non-MUG stuff into our larger appropriate forums, whereas the MUG social group will likely be reincarnated as some kind of private forum on the XF side. Stay tuned, the test import should be coming very soon now!

Edit: An unintended side-effect of the conversion was a batch of e-mails about new achievements going out to quite a few (inactive) users. This was because the social group posts were converted into proper forum posts and attributed to the users' accounts all at once. But no worries, this was a one-off thing and won't happen again!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've hurried up a bit and reopened the MUG as a private forum. If you're 18 or older, enter the pass "I'm 18+!" to get in. ;)

I've also removed some of the outdated redirect forums and disabled the social groups completely. The non-MUG social group discussions have been moved to the appropriate forums (Whatnots, The Playground, etc.), so you'll find them there. Nothing's been lost, just rearranged! :p

And saving the best for last, the first test import to XenForo is scheduled for this Friday! Woohoo!

3. Taluntain

Media:
    As promised, the first test import is done and now accessible to all SPS account holders. Please check this thread for all the info and help us test!

4. Taluntain

Media:
    Slight delay in moving on with this due to my various RL commitments, but yesterday I've sent a list of issues/problems I spotted in the first import over to the guy doing the import for us, so once those issues are resolved we'll be moving on with the second import, which should require no more corrections. If the second import requires no major further adjustments, we'll be completing the migration a day or two afterwards. All in all, I'm hoping that we'll be running on XenForo within a week's time or so.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    The current plan is to go ahead with the next import with me standing by to check the last couple of issues right after the import is finished. If everything looks good, we'll make that import the final one and once the boards are reopened, they'll be running on XenForo.

During the entire import/conversion process, the current forums will be closed so that there is no data loss for the migration period. We're scheduling approximately 8 hours of downtime (forums only) for the migration to be on the safe side.

At this point I'm waiting for Slavik (he'll be doing the actual import) to set a date for the conversion, so once that's arranged I'll be posting a general notice here as well.

Old One, Nakia and olimikrig like this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.