1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon check...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Shura, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

2. Playa hata Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You are correct in saying they were samurai only. The ashigaru, who were poorer and not as well equipped, did not form permanent units. One could compare them to a European peasant army, and so I don't cound them as the lowest level of foot soldier.

The samurai were the only real standing troops during times of peace (to my knowledge).

3. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Actually, the Samurai were high class warriors. There were relatively few Samurai when compared to the number of regular army. Samurai were like officers. There were also bands of Samurai that could be compared to Spec. Ops. units of the modern world. But one must remember that in feudal Japan, one regiment of troops was comparable to several dozen regiments of modern units when looking at size.

The highest ranking foot soldiers (below Samurai) in the feudal East bore spears and the like. No, (in case anyone is wondering), although I said my favorite Eastern weapon was a glaive, they were not carried by armies. The glaive's shaft was constructed of rattan (similar to bamboo) and could be easily hacked in two by a katana.

Oh yeah, and a katana takes about twelve years to make and has anywhere from twenty to a several hundred thousand layers in it.

4. Sol'Kanar Guest

Aye, the katana is definately a superior weapon. But for my style, only the rapier or short sword would do. I'd love to learn to fight with a katana. I always watch the class next to mine placticing with katanas while I deftly disarm one of my classmates with a rapier-like weapon.

5. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Hey, don't forget the mace!

It's a very intimidating, but very effective weapon too.

A thick, sturdy shaft and a massive flanged head. Aah....savor it's feel, it's weight in your hands...

Don't you feel powerful as you wield it?

6. herf Guest

i dont like swords or maces or the like, i can handle them easily but i prefer grace, style, speed and beauty for my weapons.

i like small daggers, switch blades, hunting knives, tantos etc
    i like the slahsing motion of knives, the way they feel, i especially like throwing knives, i am accurtae within 10centimeters up to 36 metres.

i like the speed and grace of small weapons, they just feel good in my hands.

7. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] though I know that I'm probably in a minority I actually like a good sling, just love to grab hold of a couple of balls and fling em at high speed then listen for the gentle thud as they hit my target square in the eye muhahaha! (or lower if i'm feeling particularly nasty) they are terribly under rated...
    and herf, dint your mumsy tell ya not to play with knifes? ;) i must admit that i favour the dagger as well, being a graceful female i feel no need to weild ungainly lumps o metal about :p not that i mind a good strong male who knows how to handle his weapon...

8. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This may seem strange...I live part of the time in africa and I dont have much to do there. I have an extremely large collection of weapons. I practice them on all sorts of things like trees...cacti...my dog j/k. but anywayz what Im trying to get at is this: you can get more power out of using a katana 2 handed than you can out of a big heavy 2H sword. why is this? well, its because, in the words of some old samurai dude "sharpness comes from the user, not the blade" you can use the katana with more finesse than you can w/ the 2H sword, so, with training a katana can slice right through armour that would stop a 2H sword. As for missile weapons...BOW ALL THE WAY! I can hit a 5" diameter circle at 100 paces with a good longbow.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yea, and try doing armor slashing periodically and you can throw that expensive weapon away since it'll be jagged beyond repair.

As far as I know, the trick was never to go directly at someone in heavy armour (at least not with swords), but to find a place that the armour couldn't protect (like any joints, armpits, neck) and stick the sword in there.

Of course, all this became mostly irrelevant once the crossbow was invented. Before that, a normal bow (except some very powerful variants of the long bow) could not pierce armour of a knight for instance, so you had to battle armoured warriors one on one. Imagine the joy after the invention of a weapon that could kill a knight in full armour from afar...

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 01, 2001).]

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

my weapon of choice would be a yoshiyuki +7 "quick death", with a crystal blade, ruby hilt with emerald stones imbeded in it, and a dragon wrapping around the bottom end of the blade, with no mid blade support, and a diamond seathe with rich medieval engravings of emeralds, with high-quality fur inside

11. Shura Gems: 25/31

Mine would be dual desert eagles.50
    To blow the kneecaps off people who simply stare at me the wrong way.

12. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] good idea egg, you can sell it and with the proceeds you can pay a mercenary troop to protect you :)

13. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Call me old fashioned but I like the staff.

14. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Bel! You're in Tang Soo Do? I've been in it for a little over 5 years. I rarely hear of anyone else in it.

By the way, my weapon would probably be a staff or a katana.

15. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

i have a real sword, it's not like some yoshiyuki, but it is a bastard sword made of real metal that weighs about 60 pounds, pretty hard to wield, bought it at a renaissance fair about 2 years ago

16. Shura Gems: 25/31

I'm currently training in Kenjutsu. Not formal as I do not have the time to seek out a dojo due to my impending national service.

I'm learning the basic stances and strikes from a book using a wooden katana. Boy do my blisters and shoulders hurt from a thousand swings a day...and I know I'm still under-training....

17. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Dang it. My posts aren't showing up.

[This message has been edited by Vile (edited April 05, 2001).]

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Katana vs Two Handed sword.

I've taken my inspiration from Duncan McCloude on this one. As an ignorant punk, he used a two-handed blade, but as his skill grew, he used the katana. (It ain't easy being cheesy!)

Personally, I like using the saber. There aren't many magic ones out there (unless you have a very forgiving DM), but it adds a certain flair. Dual weild that with a sword breaker, and you can stand very well against most thugs!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.