1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PPG Infinity Engine Modlist

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by icelus, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icelus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Almost a year ago, I decided to create a comprehensive list of all the mods made for Baldur's Gate 2. As time went by, the list grew and grew, and was eventually complemented by similar lists for Baldur's Gate 1, Icewind Dale, and Icewind Dale 2, as well as lists of all the various modding communities and portrait sites. To say that it took up quite a bit of time is an understatement. All of the lists were posted on numerous sites around the 'net and usenet.

To make things easier for me and more convenient for players everywhere, we at the Pocket Plane Group have setup a centralized database to consolidate all of these various lists. This new setup allows for easier categorization of all the mods, as well as allowing mod authors to submit their own entries.

The database is by no means complete just yet. TeamBG is still down, and a few other sites are inaccessible, but they will be added when and if the situation changes. The database population will be an ongoing project of ours for the next several days, so please bear with us. Feel free to help us out, however, and submit your own links. Please note, however, that only completed/beta mods will be listed.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone individually for making the IE modding community for being one of the most diverse and vibrant groups around. Without you all, my work would all be for naught. :)

So, without further ado, I present to you the Pocket Plane Group Infinity Engine Modlist: http://modlist.pocketplane.net

2. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Excellent work Icelus. It's handy to have them all in one place. I know it's asking a lot, but is there a list of the preferred install order for these mods?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll close and de-sticky the old mod list stickies, and move this to The Playground since it covers all games.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good work, but like Bard, I think an installation order would be useful (or perhaps even essential), at least for BG2; this would probably also involve separating Weidu mods from non-Weidu ones.

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, the installation order was listed in the last mod list. First official patch, then Baldurdash (ToB) or SP fixpack (better for SoA), then non-WEIDU mods and finaly WEIDU.
    I still managed to screw things up, so no matter ;) :lol:

It might be a good idea to link game forums with the appropriate mod lists, i know i'd be glad if i didnt know what happened to it. :)

Great job with this, it must've been an awsome amount of work to keep up with it all and tracking them all down. I suggest detective profession now, plenty of expertise ;)

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True, the installation order was in the last list. But unless you knew that, you wouldn't, uh, know that (huh?). Plus the new list doesn't identify which mods are Weidu. Although I just noticed that some mods are identified as "non-Weidu", so maybe it's safe to assume everything else is Weidu.

7. icelus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yes, pretty much any mod listed is WeiDU unless it's notated in the title.

As for the installation order--I'll see what we can come up with. There's not an easy way to do it at the moment on the database, but we'll see.

Thank you for the comments, everyone. :)

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hey, you missed my very sucky-very budget MOD, the 'Rutkowski's Multiplayer NPC MOD.' :D

Actually, I don't care. I don't think anyone have downloaded it, and if they wants to, they can download it on SP.

My MOD I am working on now, however, you HAVE to add. ;)

9. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I use this list all the time, when I am cheking stuff out. Very convient to have it all in one place.

10. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Very handy, thanks. :D

11. Sikret Gems: 13/31

I sent an e-mail to the PPG modlist admin a few days ago with no result. Neither my request was accomplished nor did I receive a reply. So, I will utter my request here.

Please remove my Improved Anvil from the PPG mod-list. It is currently listed "in the wrong category", "with the wrong description" and "without asking me whether I want it to be on that list or not".

I have no idea who has submitted my mod to that list and I don't blame anyone for it; I just want my mod to be removed from the list as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

12. pro55 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If your request was to "remove it", I imagine it would be ignored. :) Try sending them "the right description" and "right category" for your mod, and I'm sure it'll be moved and description changed.

As for "without asking" - it's a public modlist made for player convenience. As far as I remember, anyone can add new mods by filling a form.

Nothing may prevent me from making a similar list of movies/books/paintings or any other artwork, and putting it on my homepage for anyone to read; with short descriptions and links to author pages. By releasing your mod to the public, you're putting it in the same category of something which is free to discuss, rate and base opinion on (and no, I no longer need your permission for that).

13. Sikret Gems: 13/31

I'm waiting for a reply from one of the modlist's maintainers.

I don't think that they want to keep a mod on their list which is listed in the wrong category and with the wrong description. It is hardly useful for players who check the list.

Unfortunately, none of the categories (alone) in the PPG modlist fits well for this mod, because IA is a multi-sided mod with many diverse features.

If IA is supposed to be listed in such a modlist, the only way is to put it in at least 5 different categories (if the maintainers want to have a modlist with complete and useful information for players); otherwise, the other way is to remove it from the modlist to avoid incomplete and misleading information.

14. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The listing of mods isn't negotiable, I'm afraid. If you'd like to propose some changes to the listing for clarity (perhaps an alternate description), that's fine, but no, the idea is to be comprehensive and we won't remove your mod, sorry.

(Incidentally, JC's on holiday which is probably why you didn't get a response by e-mail.)

[ January 07, 2007, 14:10: Message edited by: SimDing0 ]

15. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Having the mod in a wrong category and with a wrong description is not my problem; it is your problem. Your modlist now gives incorrect information to players. If you want to keep it in this way, feel free to do so. It only invalidates the comprehensiveness you referred to.

As I said before, I will give a new description if the modlist's maintainers ask for it and if they agree to put the mod in 5 categories (for comprehensiveness); otherwise, no. As I said, the bad listing is not my problem.

16. pro55 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sikret, your mod is not unique in that it could fit many categories, but you're so far the only modder to make a problem of it.

Please, just use common sense and choose one category which fits your mod most.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sikret, I can already see this argument going for three more pages, so please take it to PM or e-mail with the list's maintainers. If you can't work anything out with them in a reasonable time frame, feel free to post about it here again.

18. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Do you seriously think that a mod belongs to the Item-Store category which, beside item upgrades, also adds:
    - Many tactical improvements
    - AI improvements
    - New species of monsters
    - an integrated fixpack
    I don't think any of the "tactical/AI improvements", "new monsters" and "several fixes" fit the category of Item/Store mods. (Beside these, the upcoming release will have many quests as well). So which category fits the mod the "most"?

Many mods include additional content as well, and I understand that many of them could be listed in more than one category. But e.g. in IA's case, we can't say that items are dominant, or quests are dominant compared to other features, etc.
    If the goal is comprehensiveness, why not to find a solution for such mods.

I have two proposals:
    1. Add it to more categories as Sikret suggested. I believe modlist is meant to be an independent place, and as mods are made for fun and there is no real competition, I believe that it's normal if a mod is mentioned in more places because it fits more categories. In other words, it can't be called "advertised more times than other mods", because modlist is meant to be comprehensive and unbiased, not a balanced advertising place of mods.

If the goal is comprehensiveness, then leaving out a mod (e.g. IA) from categories which it would fit will take the chance from players to find a mod that they search for. E.g. in IA's case, if someone is looking for a mod which adds tactical/AI improvements and quests (and wouldn't mind if it upgrades items too but this is not primary), he/she will check the "Quest-related" category and will find nothing.

2. Make a category called Complex/Other mods (or anything similar for this purpose). But there is one mod only (that I can think of at the moment) to be added there! And? What prevents from creating a category for one mod? Something has to be the first, before the second, third etc. comes. As I've already said, I think modlist isn't a commercial advertisement site so it wouldn't be unfair to other mods if there is only one mod in "Complex/Other" category: if they have such content in such sizes, they will be added there too. If goal is comprehensiveness, why to force a complex mod to one category just because two more minutes would be needed to add them to others too? (Why is it a problem if a mod is in more categories? Of course a quest mod which adds a few items shouldn't be added to the Store/Item category, but there are unambigious cases, there are complex mods.)

But the real reason is obvious. You SimDing0 have never liked IA, and seeing there are players who prefer it and agree with its changes has always been a thorn in your flesh. (While CamDawg calls IA's improvements "silliness" at Bioware, you characterize Sikret's work and vision on scripts as "nonsense" and similar.) Your relevant posts reflect your feelings a lot. This is why none of my proposals will be accepted (more accurately, one of them was already rejected), because IA would have to mentioned more times or to be added to a new category -- and you wouldn't bear that at any cost.
    Exiling personal feelings from modlist and learning some manner can be the first step of actually filling the above quote with some truth:
    And no, my proposals were not because of IA. Tal already warned that this discussion may end up in pages, so in no way I want to trigger such an event. I just believe it would be important to every mod, including future mods, to be mentioned everywhere where needed (or adding them to a new category if needed). But as long as personal issues influence these decisions, there is no hope.

[ January 09, 2007, 20:17: Message edited by: Baronius ]

19. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, I don't think it would be the first. Things like TDD, for example, which is both quest-related and NPC-related. There'd probably be a few to go in there. The only problem with that would be that they wouldn't be referenced in the other sections for someone who's looking for ALL quest mods or ALL NPC mods or ALL ...etc. But I suppose listing such things in just one area where they might not be found by these people isn't any better.

20. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Okay, sigh. I didn't want to reply again, but I'd like to deal with the accusations that have openly just been made up.

Beyond the fact that, man, you obviously really, really don't like me, I don't know where you're reading this. I have no aversion to reorganizing the modlist so as to make it more helpful (my own mod, Quest Pack, clearly fits the bill just as much as IA)--I'm just not going to do it, so you're better off raising the issue with someone who actively maintains it (I would advise forming a clear picture of an objective system for determining which mods go in which categories first; I do not consider QP an item mod just because some quests have material rewards).

I repeat, for clarity: yes, I'm quite happy for someone to knock themselves out recategorizing the system; no, we aren't going to remove any mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.