1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiclassed (custom) assassin-fighter

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have recently re-discovered BG-2 yet I was bored by the standard classes and kits the game offered and tried out a few new ones, namely the mc kensai-thief, mc assassin-fighter and mc swashbuckler-fighter as well as the mc kensai-mage and the mc swashbuckler-mage.

How to do so is easy: Pre-create a char in the multiplayer char generator, then edit in the kist as you like. Mind to adress the differences in thievery point when creating an assassin (since he has only 20 + 15-per-level compared to the 40 + 25 per level of the ordinary thief).

Since it took me too long to try out my nr.3 on the list, the mc kensai-thief, I skipped that one after a while of playing alongside my cavalier though he was a formidable backstabber. Very nice and powerful char. Using the *two* throwing daggers he was also effective in ranged combat and his unrestricted theiving abilities made him very versatile.

The mc swashbuckler thief has eventually been a very powerful fighterlike char, offering versatility and a very good ranged punch while having an outstanding AC.

The mc kensai-mage is awesome - my nr.2, though he lacks some spells I easily name him as the most powerful class I ever tried out in BG-2. With the firetooth-dagger he achieved a similar damage as my archer with a bow, and in melee he was more than able to hold his place - even outperforming my (human) cavalier with carsomyr (the first time I use that combo :shake: ). I liked to use the staff of the magi - with dispell on hit that was a very effective way to counter enemies with magic protections, making them vulnerable to further attacks.

The swashbuckler-mage was similar (he only made some trouble since I wasn't able to distribute the weapon proficiencies rightly - that made me eventuall skip this class): Very good AC and a solid combat power enabled him to stay out of trouble effectively (where the mc kensai-mage searched it) and due to his unrestricted thievery he was also quite versatile.

However, at last and what this thread is about, my favourite was the mc assassin-fighter: 7x damage backstab, ** weapon proficiency (absolutely enough, no need for grandmastery) and especially full access to fighter feats and use any item, like mislead or black blade of disaster scrolls :D Only drawback is the lack of theivery points that nesesiated the use of an assistant thief for these jobs - Jan Jansen for example.
    Some examples for the tactics this char offered )once he had use-any-item): Cast mislead from scroll and use greater whirlwind attack for 10 attacks per round .... assassination and mislead .... black blade of disaster and mislead .... potions of invis and assassination .... light crossbow of speed (4 attacks per round), bolts of biting, haste (making it 5 attacks) and poison weapon .... and so on :love:
    Using powergaming equipment such as katanas as well as the yucky crom faeyr might improve backstabbing performance further but that's not only for sissies but not at all necessary: I had my best result yet using the puny equaliser (IMO a perfect weapon for a thief due to the protection from mind affecting spells - thiefs are weak there) with 232 damage on a firegiant.

Just some ideas for those who like to try out new chars. Opinions?

[ February 07, 2003, 19:24: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I did the MC F/Assassin a while ago but gave it up in disgust - way too easy.

3. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well 232 damage is too much to be taken lightly, it's just too much.
    I always,tried pure kensai and once a dualled with mage and notmultied or dualed characters. I think 232 damage is a good reason to start one :D

4. Farkinell Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi, i'm new to the boards. Ragusa you seem to be "in the know" about all things mc/dc, could you get a blade/thief somehow? (i've never dc before)

You're assasin/fighter seems like a good idea, in you're description, you say "mc" not dc, how do you multi-class a kit? As the only way i know to get a A/F is to dual class. Also, at what level does the assasin gain the x7 backstab?

5. Ghost Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Welcome to the boards. You'll get your x7 when you are lvl 21 guess...

I was wandering, wat lvl did you dual to fighter? Right after you get UAI and assasination? And why mislead? isnt project image better or simacrulum? If so i would suggest Vhailor's helm...

I'm working on this class too... but few things made me puzzled.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    As I described *multiclassing* a kit reqires editing with shadowkeeper as I described above.

A blade-assassin will be impossible since a blade is a bard and bard-thief isn't a legit multiclass combo since both are considered rogues.

As for damage and beeing easy to play: 232 was my best result atm, however, don't think it's all easy to fight that way. I made the experience that an mc kensai thief, even with *only* 5x damage is by far superior.
    For any multiclassed thief hit and run is the only way to suvive since you lack AC and hitpoints to duke it out in direct confrontation and when your beeing mauled it's sometimes impossible to take your potion of invisibility right in time. Like in this fight with the firegiants .... :rolleyes:

[ February 09, 2003, 11:48: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I read on TeamBG forum by a fellow called "Userunfreindly" that you can give 2 kits. You will need a valid multiclass option.

Using Shadowkeeper you could make for example, swashbuckler/wizardslayer.

Make a fighter thief as a demi human. Change the kit for the thief to swashbuckler. Change the level to 0 and then start the game and level up.

Go back to shadowkeeper and then change the kit to wizardslayer. Again change the level to 0 and then restart the game and level up as usual.

Supposedly the character will now have and continue to get all the kit skills. He even claims that you can multiclass non-multiclassable classes and kits and even have more than 2 kits by using this technique.

I'll have to find the exact text and put it here for you to read.

I have not tried this so I can't claim that it works, but this guy knows what he is talking about and sounds like a real hacker of Shadowkeeper.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] That is true, to some point. Some kits give innate-like abilities, other will result in you getting some special class features such as afaik the wizard slayers MR.

However, the innate abilities remain where they are - and will be accessible after adding another kit with SK. The special class features however will be overridden at level up in a new class when multiclassed. The same applies to saves when you change a the race.

It is simply impossible to edit in two kits that level up equally. What this dude suggests is not unlike setting the stats to all-25 and as silly a taste as having crom in the off-hand when dualwielding :flaming: He's a stupid cheater!!! :flaming:

An edited custom mc char, like mc kensai-thief/ mc kensai-mage (armor and item restrictions), mc wizard slayer-anything (low fighter levels and the inability to use certain items), mc fighter-assassin (massive lack of thieving abilities) usually is harder to play than one of the legit combos - it s more interesting and more challenging. At least that's why I create these chars.

[ February 11, 2003, 12:25: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.