1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Kensai Missile Machine?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Chelsea, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Ok.

I keep reading mention of (but no explanation) that a Kensai can be the ultimate missile man, beating even an Archer etc hands down.

Now I do understand that this is with weapons that can be used for missile and melee like the hand axe or dagger...

But other than that I don't get it.

How on earth is the Kensai superior in missile combat?

Please advise. :D

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Kensais also can use those throwing daggers and axes. And they apply their kit bonuses to the missile attack as well. They can also use their kai to maximise the damage.

There are some very powerful throwing axes and daggers around, which can beat the damage potential of a mere bow, as they are also combined with STR, Grand Mastery, and Kensai bonuses, not to forget 'kai', it is scary!

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Give us an example :p

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

A half-orc kensai imported from BG1 has 20 STR, give him the evil route in BG2 for another +1 to STR, Lum the Mad's machine in WK for another +1...total of about 22 STR? I'm not sure if its possible to go higher. Anyway...get that, and then Grandmastery in Daggers, pick up Firetooth +3...2d4+3, +3 fire damage...

I'm not sure if Firetooth allows adding STR damage to your output when its thrown, but if it does...then boo YA! Its like wielding a bastard sword...

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, the evil route in BG2 gives +2 strength, and you can get another +1 to strength from the Deck of Many Things. So that would be 24 strength. Not quite Crom Faeyr, but damn close.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Only if you are a fighter or fighter multi-class. The evil route in the Wrath Trial with Sarevok gives a +1 bonus to strength, and a +1 bonus to your primary stat. So since fighters have strength as their primary stat, they get +2. Fighters/Barbarians: Strength. Clerics: Wisdom. Mages/Sorcerers: Intelligence. Thieves/Bards: Dexterity. Obviously Paladins and Rangers can't take the evil path. Well, technically, they can take it and get a bonus to strength, but they will turn into regular fighters. I'm not sure how multi-classes work. I do know that there is a heirarchy in what is checked. For example, with F/T, you ALWAYS get the bonus to strength. It's not like it's a 50/50 random determination. But other than fighters placing above thieves in the heirarchy of what is checked, I don't know how the other ones work out. I have no idea whether M/C get a bonus to intelligence or wisdom.

7. Chelsea Gems: 8/31

Okay so you do a lot of damage, but surely the archer gets in a bucketload of shots more.

So useful yes, heavy damage from a throw or two, but meanwhile the archer is peppering some poor mage with 5 or so shots a round, messing his/her chances to cast.

Or do they get multi shots also?

:)

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Thrown Daggers and Bowshots both have the same base ApR. I assume the Kensai missile machine will be a grandmaster in daggers.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Throwing daggers have the same number of attacks as most bows, and fighter-level and specialization and equipment extra attacks all apply. Unless the Archer in the example is using Tuigan, he and the Kensai will be evenly matched on ApR.

EDIT: Erm, sorry. Early morning posting means I can be behind on replies in the later threads since I open all the threads I want to look at at the same time, and then look and reply one by one. How about a damage comparison instead? We'll take the weapons with infinite ammo as comparison.

Firetooth: 2d4 + 3 + STR + 1d2 fire
    Tansheron's Bow: 1d6 + ...0?
    Short Bow of Gesen: 2 + 1d8 electrical

[ September 23, 2006, 16:29: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

10. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I don't think that the Kensai is superior to an Archer in missile combat.

For sure he will have a superior bonus to dmg from his kit (+13 for a 40-level Kensai) compared to the +9 of the Archer.
    But the Archer can use the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization (+2 to dmg AND +0,5 ApR).Also with Called Shot activated he gets an additional +2 bonus to dmg.

At last the bonus to dmg from STR does not apply to throwing daggers (Fire Tooth) but it does apply to the Arrows of Biting for example.So I am quite sure that an Archer,with G.M. in shortbows,who uses the Short Bow of Gesen with arrows of Biting can do potentially more dmg/round than a Kensai (it would be too complicated to do all the calculations now :p ).

But of course this doesn't mean that a Kensai can not be an excellent fighter when using missile weapons.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I have little to add that hasn't already been said, but just one point I'd like to raise.
    When I did that with a paladin, I ended up with a Neutral Evil paladin- who oddly had not fallen!

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Interesting... I never would have imagined the "sword saint" throwing daggers! Just switch to melee when enemies close in, instead of running away and hiding as an archer.

13. Chelsea Gems: 8/31

This does not seem conclusive at all. yet so many times now on these pages I have seen people alluding to the fact that Kensai CAN make the best missile users.

14. Tag the Nosepiercer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What's the point in using Gesen bow and arrows of biting? It doesn't add the lightning damage, so you'd be better off with Tuigan, wouldn't you?

And since when don't thrown weapons add str? >.>

15. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The lightning dmg from Gesen bow stacks with the dmg of any arrow you use with it (acid,fire,etc...).And the arrows of Biting are the only arrows which get a bonus to dmg from STR (probably a bug of the game).

(In my experience): The bonus to Damage from STR applies to all the melee weapons,to the thrown weapons when they are used as melee and to the melee weapons created by spells (like the Flame Blade etc.).

But there are some exceptions here.The bonus to Dmg from STR applies also to :

a) Throwing Axes and Hammers (but not Daggers), even when they are used as missile (except from the axe Azuredge)
    b) Non magical Darts
    c) Arrows of Biting
    d) ALL the magical bullets and Bags of Plenty
    e) Sling of Seeking (as stated in the description).

16. Fly2tHeSkY

I thought arrows were enhanced by strength too ...

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    ^ Nope, they shouldn't be.

18. Fly2tHeSkY

Or am I thinking about just BGI?

19. Tag the Nosepiercer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well that's just dumb, then. O.o Thrown weapons are forced from the hand using brute force, why wouldn't it use str to enhance the damage? Even if it's only half the bonus, it only makes sense. But eh, I'm obviously thinking too realistically. =P And yeah, I checked up on the Gesen bow and it just says + 1d8 lightning, so blah!

Nonetheless, I like eggs and so do Kensai. WIN.

20. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I liked axes before and still do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.