1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party of the little people

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Felinoid, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] Looking at olimikrig's The 'Misunderstood personalities'(tm) party, I got an idea for a party made up entirely of the little people (dwarves, gnomes, and halflings). In BGI, that means Alora, Kagain, Montaron, Quayle, Tiax, and Yeslick. With the "All NPCs in the Beginning" mod, you can get every one of them except Yeslick right away. The Quayle/Tiax fight would then become a problem throughout the game, so I would suggest one of them be replaced by the PC (likely Tiax). The Kagain/Yeslick fight is of lesser priority as even with the mod, you still can't get Yeslick until the mines.

The BG2 part is considerably harder to make. You have only three "little" NPCs: Jan, Korgan, and Mazzy. The Alora NPC mod will re-introduce you to the irrepressible little thief, but there's still an empty spot.

So I'm left with three questions:
    1) How short are the Avariel? (Would Aerie qualify?)
    2) How short are Tieflings? (Would Haer'Dalis qualify?)
    3) Is there any other (besides Alora) mod out there with a dwarf/gnome/halfling NPC who would fit into the party?

2. UCLAParadox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In my opinion:
    1) Too tall (though its your game and you may want the romance)
    2) Too tall (but again your game)
    3) I don't know of any mods so maybe make yourself 2 characters:
    Alora: Theif
    Korgan: Fighter
    Mazzy: Fighter
    Jan: T/M
    So you're short on the divine magic. Maybe a PC F/C and a gnomish mage?

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Fel, you could always generate the last character yourself... Or, you could play using only 4 NPC's and the protagonist.

4. Felinoid

:lol: A Tiax character trying to romance Aerie wouldn't last very long, and Quayle romancing Aerie would be downright creepy. I'm afraid I have to agree about the height issues, I was just hoping there was something in a D&D text somewhere that could prove me wrong. :( Oh well.

I do have good news, though. I just saved a bunch of money by switching to GEICO. :confused: No wait, that's not it . . . ah yes! After looking at pocketplane.net and finding nothing, I took another look and settled on Goo, the floating eyeball. He may have altitude, but when you measure top to bottom he's the shortest of them all. Plus he's got a banter with Jan; what more could you ask? :grin:

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Btw Fel, keep us updated on your little folks party ;) chances are that it'll probably go a wee better than my misunderstood personalities party :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Felinoid

@olimikrig:
    That might be a while; I've got about a half-dozen parties lined up and waiting for their turn. I think these things up faster than I can play them. :o If anyone else would like to play my idea, you're more than welcome. To give you an idea of how booked up I am:

My BG1 archer party is stalling as I solo BG2 again with an F/M/T, and I've still got a couple semi-solo BG1 -> perfect-romance BG2 party characters to finish. I think I've pretty much given up on my BG1 stealth party for now, but you never know when I might get it into my head to tough it out a little more.

Ideas I've yet to start:
    -BG1 Funny party {F/M/C PC, Alora, Minsc, Quayle, Tiax, Xan}
    -BG1 Evil party {Improved Montaron PC, Edwin, Eldoth, Kagain, Tiax, Viconia} (This one gets continually bumped back in favor of more interesting ones; I think it's been about a year.)
    -Little People Party
    -A couple more that have waited so long I can't even remember them :(

7. olimikrig

Media:
    Ah well... Hmm. Would your little folks party not somewhat fall under my misunderstood personalities party too (At least in bg1), as many of them ARE kind of weird characters. I might give it a shot, and have your little folks play it out melee instead :lol:

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Have the shorties use BIG weapons like Staves, Spears, Halberds, TwoHandedSwords etc. they look rather hilarious!!!

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm playing out a multiplayer game of only gnomes.

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I made once a party, "Shortfella's revenge". It consisted from 3 dwarven kensais, halfling thief and two gnomes. That's probably coolest thing i've used for a long time.
    Seeing some 1 meter long people slaughter dragons made me smile. "it's no use, we'll burst your knees!" :D

11. Malarkey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've been thinking for the longest time of playing with a party of thieves. 2 swashbucklers, 2 vanilla thieves, and 2 assassins, or maybe just drop it to a party of 4, and take out the vanilla thieves. I've been thinking on it for a while now, but still haven't made it around to playing that party yet.

12. Felinoid

I have finally decided on an Improved Quayle PC that I'll be taking through with this setup. He won't have Quayle's innate Invisibility, but the better stats and normal Bhaalpowers more than make up for that. Here's the character I'm using:

Quayle (with appropriate portrait & soundset)
    Gnomish Illusionist/Cleric
    STR: 13 (14)
    DEX: 18 (19)
    CON: 8
    INT: 19 (20)
    WIS: 17 (20)
    CHA: 16 (17)

I'm not sure who I'll give the CON tome to, but it sure wouldn't do Quayle any good. :rolleyes: Now, I intend to take a couple ... liberties with the story, so I'll be posting it in CS instead. (I'll link the thread once I've started it.) For example, I'll be putting Goo in a more accessible location in BG2 than where he usually appears, though with a reasonable explanation for his appearance.

13. olimikrig

Media:
    :bigeyes: Please start this way cool party ASAP!

And also remember to keep us updated, Fel!

[ October 10, 2005, 02:35: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

14. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    W00T This looks really cool Fel! I mean Short people are like gems; real short and cool, except short people doesn't shine.

15. Felinoid

Well, I started into it, and here it is! A little wordy for just the first half-hour of gameplay, but it just started flowing and I couldn't stop. :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  16. olimikrig

Media:
    I'm gonna have a look at it ASAP... I see you've chosen a more "story-like" style compared to my more, "journal-like"..

17. Rhyllian Gems: 1/31

Felinoid, that's some truly awesome writing! I love the expressions you have for the "little people's" point of view. I've often felt dwarves, gnomes, and halflings (with the exception of kender) get, um, short shrift - pun unintentional, I just can't think of a better way to say it - in the D&D games, and in fantasy in general. Dwarves especially are often the ones to die most heroically/needlessly in lots of the stories I've read, and they do deserve better. Good on you for this venture, and please, please, please keep writing! :)

(PS: Do you write professionally? If not, you ought to.)

18. Felinoid

:jawdrop: Oh, good glaven, no! I consistently got D's in English class (once I even got 60% exactly) and I can't write a word without inspiration. You're just lucky enough to be getting the good stuff; this game and this site have been a great inspiration to me. Thanks for the compliments, though, and double thanks for putting them where I asked. :thumb:

And don't worry, I'll keep writing as I play. I hope to have Chapter One done within 24 hours from the time of this post. Look for it then. :)

19. olimikrig

Media:
    I like the turn of events when monty (you gotta love monty) stabs Xzar as he was weaving his arcane arcanity (err, or something :p ).

I for one is looking forward to the update, good start "Feel annoyed" :hahaerr:

20. Rhyllian Gems: 1/31

D's in English class? Phooey. Iirc (and it's back in my murky past, so please bear with me), English class had a lot more to do with dissecting works of great literature and regurgitating whatever one's prof felt one should feel about said works. There was very little space for creative composition (or creativity in general, as far as that goes)... so I don't regard D's in English class as indicative of much of anything. :nono:

And I don't take D's in English as meaning much of a much, especially in light of what I read from you, Fel! I'm notoriously finicky in my reading preferences (Col McCullough, Robin Hobb, Diana Gabaldon, Jacqueline Carey, and J.K. Rowling are among my current faves), and very short on free time (having a busy toddler will do that to a body), so I don't often have a lot of patience with reading something that's not really up to snuff. :coffee2:

That said, I'm avidly awaiting the next installment of your story (and checking back as often as my son permits!). Type on, anthro tiger, type on! :book: :thumb:

(I just found the BIG list of smileys... can you tell? :D )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.