Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > D&D Games Forums > Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal

Notices

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal For posts concerning Baldur's Gate 2 with the Throne of Bhaal expansion installed. (Check out our BG2 Online Walkthrough). Please post here even if you are playing only the SoA part of the game, but have ToB installed.
NOTE: If you have installed the BG1Tutu or BG Trilogy mods, or intend to play with them installed, you should be posting in this forum!

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Wed, 5th Jun '02, 4:47am   #1
Archer14
Gems: 8/31
Latest gem: Skydrop

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,035
Level: 11
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Archer14 is on a distinguished road

Are Imoen's theiveing skills good enough to get though TOB. I just mean her lockpicking and detect traps abilities. I am going to use Edwin as my mage because he's got 18 intelegence but I need a thief too. I dont want to use Jan because I want Imoen in my party and 3 mages and 2 theives are two many.
Archer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 5th Jun '02, 6:19am   #2
Xirev
Gems: 2/31
Latest gem: Fire Agate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 540
Level: 8
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Xirev is on a distinguished road

I might be wrong, but I THINK ( - and someone correct me if I'm wrong, please - ) Imoen's thief skills will never increase from what they currently are.

I also think that her skills will be more than enough. I never really used her as a mage, but then again, I never really used her for her thief skills either. I don't really know what I used her for...

But back to the point, her [thief] abilities are probably enough to suffice. Edwin is a better choice as a mage, just because he's Edwin Odeisseron.. just ask him.

Hope I helped.

[This message has been edited by Xirev (edited June 05, 2002).]
Xirev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 5th Jun '02, 9:38am   #3
Sirdan
Gems: 7/31
Latest gem: Tchazar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,005
Level: 10
vBActivity - Bars
Sirdan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Sirdan Send a message via AIM to Sirdan

You can increase her (really bad) thieving skills with items that enhance these abilities (Amulet of Master Harper, Ring of Danger Sense, Gloves of PickPocketing etc.) And also before trying to steal something, use a couple Potions of Master Thievery.

And yes there is no problem getting through ToB with her thieving skills (and a little help from the above items).
Sirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 5th Jun '02, 10:31am   #4
Alex
Gems: 12/31
Latest gem: Moonstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,473
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Alex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alex Send a message via AIM to Alex

I open up Shadowkeeper and just convert her to a pure thief. There are much better mages in the game but no good thieves.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 5th Jun '02, 12:42pm   #5
SleepleSS
Gems: 24/31
Latest gem: Water Opal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,938
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
SleepleSS is on a distinguished road

NALIA is a good thief. NALIA is a good mage. I never used Imoen or Edwin in TOB, because Nalia copuld do what they could do, and most of it she did better. (well ok maybe Edwin is a better mage, but I disliked his caracter )

Does this answer your question?
SleepleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 5th Jun '02, 12:52pm   #6
Earl Grey
Mmm... hot tea!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,917
vBActivity - Bars
Earl Grey is on a distinguished road

What kind of lazy s.o.b. are you? "Imoen" as the only topic header? That's useless!

[Let's remedy that, shall we?] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 05, 2002).]
Earl Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 5th Jun '02, 8:33pm   #7
Xirev
Gems: 2/31
Latest gem: Fire Agate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 540
vBActivity - Bars
Xirev is on a distinguished road

You're probably right about Nalia being a better mage, but wrong about her being a better thief, at least in the areas that Archer is needing. Check these stats.. I'll only go with Open Locks and Find Traps because that's all you really need throughout the game. You can never really pick-pocket any GOOD items.

Imoen
Open Locks: 70
Find Traps: 75

Nalia
Open Locks: 35
Find Traps: 70

I never used Nalia long enough to find out how her mage skills were, but neither her nor Imoen have any good thieving skills to get up and cheer over.
Xirev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 6th Jun '02, 1:28am   #8
Archer14
Gems: 8/31
Latest gem: Skydrop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,035
Level: 11
vBActivity - Bars
Archer14 is on a distinguished road

Thank you. So with the items I shouldnt realy have a problem.
And Nalia is NOT a good theif at all. She cant even get through he own home with the skills she has. SleepleSS, I don't see how you think she is a good theif unless you brought her skills up by cheating. And I think Edwin is funny.
And your a little bit hostile there arn't you Earl Grey. But I should have made a better topic header. No reason to get mad though. sheesh
Archer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 6th Jun '02, 8:36am   #9
SleepleSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Well I think shadow keeper must have made a move over her thieving skills then...

I did use it once early in the game so it could be possible....

But if she travels with you for a long time she gets higher skills, and climbs to over 100% at all thieving skills, isn't she? and since I created monster to fight against when I was bored, that could have leveld her up more quickly than what is possible in a real game...
Old Thu, 6th Jun '02, 6:59pm   #10
Volar Blackmane
Gems: 16/31
Latest gem: Shandon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,300
Level: 15
vBActivity - Bars
Volar Blackmane is on a distinguished road

A dual classed thief/mage can't increase their thief skills, so you must've cheated.
Volar Blackmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 6th Jun '02, 8:50pm   #11
Jack Funk
Ain't we funkin' now

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,593
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Jack Funk has a spectacular aura aboutJack Funk has a spectacular aura aboutJack Funk has a spectacular aura about

Imoen is extremely useful in TOB. The advantage to the dual class Thief/Mage is the ability to use a bow. She makes an excellent archer.

Sleeless, no she does not get additional thieving skills. Those skills are acquired by leveling up as a thief. Since she is dual classed, she cannot level up as a thief anymore.
Jack Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 6th Jun '02, 11:30pm   #12
Vukodlak
Gems: 22/31
Latest gem: Sphene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,452
Level: 18
vBActivity - Bars
Vukodlak is on a distinguished road

I just think of Imoen as a really good mage who can wear bladesinger chain and has two additional skills of finding traps and unlocking doors (and if she misses a couple of traps so what?).

Oh yes. And the bow - good with that one with unlimited arrows.
Vukodlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 7th Jun '02, 8:46am   #13
SleepleSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

hmmm... I shall start a new game then and check her skills again. Maybe I was just lucky all the time...

But about this dual class thing, why is it that she can become a better mage, but not a better thief? I mean why can't you choose witch class you like to "upgrade".

Speaking aboud cheating: If you use the console to spawn Alora or Safana (From BG1) and then use shadowkeeper on them to make them fighter/thief instead of thief. Than the do level up as a thief but not as a fighter, is this for the same reason as the mage/thief buisness?
Old Fri, 7th Jun '02, 6:31pm   #14
Volar Blackmane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Because when you dual-class, you effectively become a new class, but retain your old abilities. So it's not a thief/mage (or whatever), but a mage with thief skills. Only multi-classes (non-humans) increase both their classes.
Old Fri, 7th Jun '02, 8:22pm   #15
SleepleSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

So that's why it did work for my half elf Fighter-Mage! Now I get it! Wait a sec...

Nalia:
Thief level 5
Open Locks: 95
Detecting traps: 110
Pick pocketing: 35
Move Silently: 20

This is not possible withoud sheeting? (This are her stats at the beginning of TOB after I draged her trough my SOA game...
Old Sat, 8th Jun '02, 1:56am   #16
Alex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

With items those are possible scores. What are the base ones?
Old Sat, 8th Jun '02, 7:01am   #17
Kitrax
Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 19,774
Level: 39
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Kitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud of

Everything about Imoen sucks! Any NPC theif sucks. Multi-class your PC as a theif, and you'll do just fine. That way, there are less NPCs in your group, and everyone gets more XP.
Kitrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 8th Jun '02, 1:09pm   #18
Volar Blackmane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

But in that case you'll have room for one more buff npc, and when you take him/her, the party will actually receive less xp...
Old Sat, 8th Jun '02, 1:18pm   #19
Person_Persival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 531
vBActivity - Bars
Person_Persival is on a distinguished road

Imoen huh, Whats the deal with everyone wanting to play 'good'. If you ask me its really strange, there are always probs or restrictions you must have when playing good, but none when playing EVIL, or even neutral. Edwin is by far the best mage, I mean +3spells per lvl is just practicly rigged, Plus youll notice having an evil party (or neutral) is much more fun, and funny (Love edwin and korgan!)
Person_Persival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 10th Jun '02, 5:20am   #20
Kitrax
Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 19,774
Level: 39
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Kitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud of

But if you play evil, don't you have to pay more at stores, constantly pestered by authorities, and worry about good party members (Keldorn, Minsc) leaving? I just don't see the advantages of playing an evil PC.
Kitrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 10th Jun '02, 9:27am   #21
Faragon
Next elven archer gets me axe in his belly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,868
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Faragon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Faragon

No. How much you have to pay at stores depends solely on your reputation. Authorities pestering you is also dependant of your reputation. The advantage of being evil is that you can do anything you want, and get away with it. Try that with a Paladin or Ranger, and you become fallen. The 'advantage' of an evil character is, if you roleplay him correctly, you'll get some nice evil dialogs
Faragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 10th Jun '02, 8:39pm   #22
Alex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Just because you are evil does not mean you have to have a bad reputation. On the contrary, I'd imagine evil parties would be more prone to high reputation as to cover thier real intentions.
Old Tue, 11th Jun '02, 12:22pm   #23
SleepleSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

I always played neutral! so I could keep Both Nalia and Viconia happy! Neutral rules! You are a son of god, so remember BALANCE in ALL things!
Old Thu, 27th Jun '02, 5:40am   #24
Abyssal Knight
Gems: 10/31
Latest gem: Zircon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,292
vBActivity - Bars
Abyssal Knight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Abyssal Knight

Yoshimo is a very good theif but of course that will change later.
Abyssal Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 27th Jun '02, 11:26am   #25
StressedE
Gems: 15/31
Latest gem: Waterstar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,135
vBActivity - Bars
StressedE is on a distinguished road

Item costs are dependant on 2 things in fact.
Reputation and charisma. Ragusa did some research a long time ago as to effects of charisma on item cost. I believe the lowest item cost was at charisma 24 or so, but he might correct me on that...
StressedE is offline   Reply With Quote