1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I slaughtered Kangaxx

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Blackhawk, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] First off, I'm just patting myself on the back.

After losing to Kangaxx a couple of times, I noticed that, even though he is immune to magic, fire still causes damage.

Since I have Throne of Bhaal installed, Imoen had learned to cast the Dragon Breath. (Comet Strike didn't even phase him).

Anyway, right after he became the Demi-Lich, Imoen cast that spell and Aerie cast Flame Strike.

... and that was the end of Kangaxx. The poor guy never even cast a single Imprisonment!

Hee hee hee! :)

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

thanks for the tip ill keep it in mind with my party :D

3. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Why a flamestrike? One dragon breath is enough for kangaxx.

4. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I thought Imoen only had 17 intelligence. I thought that meant you can't cast lvl 9 spells.

Congrats anyway and thanks for the tip.

5. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you play standard or easy even a mage with 3 int could learn and cast spells of each level.

6. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

IMO Kangaxx is way to easy...
    I took him out today - and I haven't done all the subquests or Spellhold/The Underdark yet (my party is around level 11-12).
    Before he changes into the Demi-Lich it's pretty much a standard lich fight:
    True Sight, Breach, Pierce Magic to take care of his spell protections and after that he is pretty much a punching bag for your front liners (just make sure to raise your saving throws before the fight, Prot. from Evil etc., or Death Ward to counter his instant death spells).

And after the change he gets really easy. Why? Because he only uses one weapon: Imprisonment. And once you learn to counter that (which shouldn't take long: berserker rage, spell immunity, various summons (a bit more difficult though)) the battle is won.

If they want to make a fight hard they should make the opponent more versatile. Same with Bodhi. She can level drain. So what? Party fights are always potentially the toughest...

@Blackhawk
    Nice tip with the fire. Does that apply to all kinds of fire damage? Fireball/Flame Arrow fx?

[ August 04, 2003, 15:59: Message edited by: Victor Eremita ]

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Victor

Those other fire spells shouldn't work. I thought that the Demi-Lich was immune to all spells level 6 or lower. Since those spells are not level 7, they shouldn't work.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

@diebysteel
    The int-spell restriction for mages in not coded into the game. I've had Imoen casting level 9/10 spells on Insane without increasing her int.

@Aldeth
    That's Rakshasa. Kangaxx has an undroppable item that supposedly makes him immune to all spells, but the designers didn't code it properly and some spells still work.

You're right though, those spells shouldn't be working. Caulk it up to a bug in the item he uses to get those resistances. It wasn't updated for ToB abilities, though.

9. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Wouldn't make much sense if they did. And with items like Azuredge and Mace of Distuption out there, who needs to use spells against undead...?

10. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

The first time I encountered Kangaxx in my solo game I just used a Prot. from Magic scroll on my Archer. Beating Kangaxx in his original and his Demilich form took me five hits total with the MoD +2.... Way too easy :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.