1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Class- or Race-related Quests

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Bloodtitan, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

hi there.

i was just thinking about how many class- or race-related quests or addtional minitasks/rewards there are out there, and if you could build one party to cover them all. not sure if i remember all, so i want you to help me :)
    details left out, just a quick list without spoiling. including special dialogue options and such.

bard
    sorcerer
    bane priest
    ilmater (priest or paladin?)
    transmuter
    edit: monk

drow
    duergar (+ duergar warrior)

dont remember any more, gogogo!
    thx chevalier!

[ October 12, 2004, 16:41: Message edited by: Bloodtitan ]

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ranger has some special lines, and wizard as well, but that's it. Paladins have special lines (hehe, like refusing rewards by default, but not only) and the Holy Avenger quest (apart from the sword, +1 to STR and WIS for all paladins in the party).

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Drow have loads of special dialogue responses.

4. Vassago Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Evil clerics can turn Viera in Targos to receive access to a short sword.

5. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

is it enough to have a paladin of ilmater to cleanse the cemetery or do i have to be priest ?

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You have to be a Cleric of Ilmater, I believe.

Also, some races can translate the goblin words spoken by Kholum Bonecutter in Targos to get more XP (if they don't have enough intelligence)

7. chevalier

Media:
    I've heard you need to be any member of the church of Ilmater, not just a cleric, but it can be wrong. Wonder if monk of Broken Ones would count.

8. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

allright, testing following party:
    aasimar warrior 4/paladin of ilmater X
    drow bard 11/sorcerer X
    deep gnome monk
    aasimar dreadmaster of bane
    drow rogue 1/transmuter X
    duergar warrior 4/barbarian X

so, no ranger in there. not too much sadness here ... i dont like them in 3E or lets say in the IWD series.
    ranger offers some special lines only correct? no special quest or even special reward ?

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Re: the cleansing of the graveyard - you have to be a Painbearer of Ilmater, but it's fine if you've multi-classed into it. My Paladin/Painbearer had no problem with it at all. Worst-case scenario is that you sacrifice one level of Paladin to do it, Bloodtitan - hardly a sacrifice, given the benefits you receive from a level of Painbearer.

Somewhat off-topic: How can you multi-class into a monk or paladin class? I didn't think the game would let you without any Ease-Of-Use-style mods.

10. Harbourboy

Yes, one of the big shames of IWDII is that there is almost no point in the Ranger class.

11. Nabir the Fist Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Actually, I've been using a Ranger in my party (I'm using the pre-generated party called Annals of Halgren) and he rocks. I'm in chapter 2 and i've just gone through the Aurilite Camp. Currently at level 7, my Ranger is a pretty good Sniper and scout, but also a great defensive fighter (Spear).

With the correct set-up, he can hold his own. And because of his favored enemy (Goblins and Orcs for now), he can cut through those like butter. Choosing the right weapons in the right hands is crucial for the up-close two-weapon fighting.

Don't use a Ranger as your main fighter. But as a back-up, the ranger is pretty useful. At the moment, mine doesn't yet have enough wisdom to use his spells (Wis: 10), but there are plenty of scrolls and potions.

12. Harbourboy

Yes, a Ranger can hold his own. He's not a weak class - it's just that there is no real reason to choose a Ranger over another class because:
    a) a Fighter can easily get Two Weapon Fighting as a feat
    b) Charm Animal is seldom useful
    c) Wilderness Lore is seldom useful
    d) A handful of low level spells are not worth much (might as well have a cleric)
    e) Favoured Enemy is only marginally useful. Fighter bonuses or magic buffs can be used against ANY enemy.

13. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

Nonsequitur:
    it is impossible to dualclass a lawful good fighter to paladin? didnt know ... well yes i have ease of use installed including the alignment restriction removed but i am lawful good, sooo ... dont know if that feature helped me being able to dualclass.
    and i tell you that i most likely dont loose a paladin lvl, at least not like this was meant before yesterday ;) i think i found a way to circumvent the lvl 30 limit.

Nabir the Fist:
    i would use a ranger if the really good bows werent all random drops here. my drow rogue/transmuter can get 2 points in bow which is surely enough combined with rapid shot. i am going to squat every major area and thus will be able to get 1-2 more feats i hope. especially when playing HOF later.
    picking crossbows i dont need a ranger either, dragus hellbolter offers enough speed to any class, my bard currently. if i want my ranger to be an infighter, i dont need another leather armor guy. the barbarian is enough and i am using the weimer feature which makes armor absorb damage, so metal armors are better.

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

NonSequitur
    Any LG charecter can multi to a Paladin class.
    Any Lawful char can multi to Monk.

Restrictions only come into play after you have taken these classes.

15. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

ok quick info addition: being paladin of ilmater is enough to cleanse the cemetery.

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Bloodtitan & Shrikant: thanks for that info - I checked my IWD2 party and (lo and behold) only the paladin was lawful. That explains why paladin and monk are always greyed-out when I level up.

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Hey Bloodtitan
    What level was your pally?
    Is 1 level enough?

18. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

my paladin was lvl 10 and had 4 fighter lvls before that so i cant tell exactly. i can confirm that you need a certain lvl to do those class quests. my lvl11bard/lvl1 sorcerer couldnt help pairi in the wandering village :( .
    soo, maybe its a certain lvl, maybe you just need to have the questclass lvled highest (e.g. lvl11bard/lvl12 sorcerer).... i dont know.

19. chevalier

Media:
    First, I really believe having your paladin get a high WIS score and cast spells is more profitable than taking four levels in fighter class. Well, really. However, if you forego wisdom altogether and thus spellcasting is non-issue for you, then yeah, fighter levels are a good addon.

As for class quests and requirements, the latter also include a certain level in a given skill. For instance, Diplomacy or Intimidate or Bluff. Characters with a low level in a given class may not be elligible for that dialogue because of too low a level in the skill required.

20. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

hrmm, i often pick 4 fighterlvls to start because maximize damage is very handy in HOF, as grandmastery is. i consider iwd2 to be much more melee favoring than the other infinity-engine d&d games.
    imho you can drop most of the offensive magic in HOF, especially from the first 5 levels. and even in the last 4 levels, the support spells are nearly as good as FOD or WOAB.
    so i rarely use paladin spells except bless or draw upon holy might or such. i dont need extraordinary wisdom for that.

i am curious, what spells do you prefer from your pally that need a high wis mod? i thougt the paladin drops most of the offensive priest spells and thus he wont have to roll with his wis mod against enemies saving throws?

as for the failed pairi quest, that char was a bard before and had like 15 in bluff, dimoplacy and ~7 in intimidatei also had ~9 points in arcana (which may not have been enough) and some points in spellcraft to prepare for the elemental feats ...
    oh well, i will survive ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.