1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Patching the charm spells

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by SlickRCBD, Apr 8, 2006.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Is there a simple way to change the charm person spell and the animal empathy to behave similar to how it works in Baldur's Gate? I find it very annoying to charm a character, only to have him stand there doing nothing while the rest of the hostiles go after my party. Worse, when all the other bad guys are dead, I can't kill the charmed guy without setting off all the neutrals in the area. At least, the last part I've only confirmed for the Palisade battle.

Swapping the efffect files using Infinity Explorer or NearInfinity to extract them might work, but I have no idea which ones to extract. Any help would be appreciated.

2. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

I've never had this happen to me in IWD2 before. And while I like using Charm spells, I can't say that I've ever used one around neutral characters.

My guess is that it might have something to do with the AI script that a charmed creature uses (i.e. 00SSCHRM.BCS), but I'm not particularly good at understanding the content of decompiled BCS scripts.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The neutrals only went hostile in the Palisade battle. However, the orcs at Shaegarne ignored their charmed fellows who just stood there deciding to sit the battle out in favor of maintaining their lock on my party members. The same thing happened about 50-60% of the time throughout the hord fortress. Wihe the spell was useful for temporarilly taking enemy archers OOC, it wasn't as useful as it was in Baldur's Gate or even BG2. Now if it made the enemies fight each all the time, then I wouldn't have regretted choosing it. For some reason, occasionaly it WOULD allow me to control the charmed character, which is when they became useful, as I would sic them on the enemy spellcasters.

Oh, the game is unpatched, I tried the patch and it didn't seem to help, so I reverted because I read that the patch nerfed Improved Invisibility and Animate Dead. If there was a way to keep it from nerfing those spells and any others, or unnerf them once the patch is applied... But That's an issue for another thread.

[ April 10, 2006, 05:12: Message edited by: SlickRCBD ]

4. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Slick, yes, the patch nerfs ImpInvis and Animate Dead. But ImpInvis is actually broken and needed fixing. Was Animate Dead nerfed? Yes. But it was considered to be overpowered.

It's not a problem to play the game patched. Besides, the patch fixes other bugs, and includes some forgotten armors in some of the later stores in the game.

Regarding Charm... Yes, regular Charm doesn't give you full control over the charmed monster. That's what Dire Charm or Dominate Monster or Mass Domiante are for. I don't know how to determine which monsters will fight for you and which will not. I always use Charm on enemy warriors, not spellcasters, since the tanks and archers will have lower Will saves than the spellcasters. I also prefer to Charm archers well behind enemy front lines, and particular an archer that's very close to aother enemies. That seems to increase the chance that the charmed enemy will fight for you or draw fire from the enemy. And often, if the charmed enemy gets attacked by his own buddies, he seems to start fighting back.

I also don't like Charming enemy tanks that are in melee, cuz I don't want to accidently attack'em a dispel the Charm. Charming behind the lines tends to get more bang for the buck.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.