1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Terry Pratchett - Going Postal (Review)

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Well, I liked it. It feels like he's on another high (if he acually ever was in a low) and the last few books, including this one (but excluding the monstrous regiment) were very good. At times quite serious but still plenty of jokes to go round :D Especially liked: the nickname he gives his girlfriend, the avid pin collecter and the wheel designed by BS Johnson :D

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm wondering how impacted I was by the ****ty American cover I got on the galley. Kirby's covers on Pratchett's books are so essential to me I think I might have subconsciously disliked the book just because it didn't come with the "proper" cover.

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

I know that Kirby was a great talent and it's not easy to replace him, but I agree that the current artist chooses quite a different style - calmer, clearer less mad :1eye: But in a way this is keeping in line with the books - since Night Watch the last few books have had some rather serious overtones. And this seems to be the case even with the Tiffany Aching stories, which are supposedly primarily aimed at children.

BTW, well noted that the plot is virtually a re-read of the Truth. I was wondering why it all seemed familiar :D

5. Taluntain

Media:
  6. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

[​IMG] :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

Oh. I see what you mean... Sorry for the mixup, I just assumed that you miss Kirby in general. I had no idea American covers were different. Why do they change them? Part of the charm (and from a marketing point of view, the advantage) is that you can spot a stack of discworld books a mile off in a bookstore - very distinct design - especially true for Kirby's...

7. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Wow. That is ugly. Back home, almost all of the Pratchett books I've seen have had the good covers. Hmm, maybe I (and my public library) just shop at the right places. :D

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Vukodlak, I have no idea why they change them. It's something that's been bugging me for ages. No wonder Pratchett doesn't sell much in the US with such ****ty covers. I put this question to HarperCollins a few days ago but I have yet to receive a response. On the other hand, Pratchett's books are much cheaper in the US, but with covers like that, I wouldn't want them for free.

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Aaarghh! My eyes! My eyes!

Anyone got acid or smething?

10. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Has anyone seen those rather plain black covers they've started introducing now?

They're actually rather good.

11. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think I know what you are talking about. Although they are not the original covers, they are still nice (I a copy of "Pyramids" with that cover).

12. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Yes.

They're rather similar to the Harry Potter 'adult' covers, although they're better executed.

13. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Frankly, I prefer my old-covered, SIGNED copy of Pyramids.. :D

14. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

One day, I will let all our (that is: mostly my sisters) Terry Pratchett books, may they be german, or english, be signed by the Master. And that's a lot.

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Speaking as an 'American' I wish I could answer the question of why they (we) change covers. I've often wondered that myself. The only thing I can figure is that American Publishers assume that residents of the USA don't have any taste. Some of us do. Me, for one, of course.

16. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Just a note -- not all US fantasy book covers are bad -- the covers of Heroes I and II trilogies are quite awesome -- the artist is Duane O. Myers and his work is quite beautiful.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    I never got a response from HarperCollins why they change the covers.

And not all books' covers are changed depending on the country. All WoTC books have the same covers everywhere. Pratchett is really the only case that I know of where the US covers are so abominable it's hard to believe, and I have no doubt this is the number one reason why his books sell so poorly in the US.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Same thing is assuredly hampering the sales of Steven Erikson in the US. The changed the covers from beautiful, stylish, moody images which had something to do with the books to a cover with a chick in chainmail and a knight on horse back, rendered in poor quality. None of which appear in the book. Those who buy books because they have a cover like that would probably not enjoy Erikson and those who would enjoy him are probably frightened off by the cover. Tragic.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

yeah.. i thoguht you guys might've been exaggerating, the cover is pretty bad :sick:

20. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The cover question is bugging me too. But every book has a cover for the European market and a different one for the American market. Every book in the fantasy and horor genre at least. And the simple explanation I've come up with for myself is, that the conventions on art and looks are completly different on both continents.

I am quite postitive that no one would buy a book with an American cover in Europe. And I bet that the same goes vice-versa. No Noth-American would buy a book with an European cover. (or mabye "in general"). And that's the reason why the covers of every book are changed as a rule. It has to be so, because a book couldn't be sold otherwise.

And I've been wondering about that since I once had a book with an American cover and I've been embarrased to be seen with it. On the other hand, that seems to be a matter of taste. And too make a fuss about taste is useless and leads to nothing.

And it is every book, one can easily compare it on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. And if WoTC covers are an exception, I think it's because they control the distribution of the their books world-wide without relying too much on local partners and sell their books mainly through their brand and their "whole concept" that goes with it. A publisher like voyager couldn't sell any Robin Hobb or Tad Williams book with their American cover in any regular European book-shop. People just coudn't bear to look at the cover. This must be a difference of visual conventions. And in the case of Tad Williams's "Otherland", I think they managed to mix both graphic-conventions to a common-ground that appeases both tastes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.