1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

R. A. Salvatore - The Halfling's Gem - Review

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Harbourboy, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] The Halfling’s Gem – by R. A. Salvatore

Book 3 of the Icewind Dale trilogy

Star rating (for the illiterate): * * * (3 stars out of 5)

Short review (for the impatient):
    Lightweight fare. Main interest is that Forgotten Realms setting is the same as that used for many D&D computer games.

Longer review (for the bored):
    I’m probably not the best qualified person to be reviewing Dungeons and Dragons based novels as most of you have far more knowledge of this area than me. But as this the most recent book I completed, a review is timely.

To outline too much of the plot would be a spoiler to anybody who has not yet read the first two books in the Icewind Dale series, as the events of this book follow directly on from those books. Having said that, it is not giving away a great deal to say that book stars the drow ranger Drizz’t Do’urden and covers some adventures he has along with some of his friends, battling evil and injustice along the way.

The style of writing is similar to that adopted by R. A. Salvatore in his other books. That is to say, that much of the focus is on the set piece fights that Drizz’t and pals seems to always find themselves in. Eaxh of these fights follows a similar tried and tested format to that adopted by professional wrestlers whereby the enemy sometimes gains the upper hand but the protagonist always comes back to win comprehensively. The various heroes always use the same powers and magic weapons in each fight (for example, Drizz’t always seems to bring a globe of darkness down on his enemy).

The characters are clearly defined but simplistic in nature. Drizz’t is the most complex character due to the various challenges and inner turmoils that come from his rejection of his dark heritage and the ongoing prejudice he suffers from just about everyone he meets. The other characters have their set roles and don’t really deviate much from them.

The flow of the story is fairly linear and not much happens that is terribly unpredictable. This, however, has the advantage of making it a fairly easy read, and not too challenging if you don’t feel like concentrating.

Of most interest to me is the background information that this book provides on certain aspects of the Forgotten Realms world. In the book, we learn about the cities of Waterdeep, Calimport, and Baldur’s Gate, and reinforce some of our knowledge of drow elves, dwarves, halflings, rogues, barbarians, and assassins. We also get to see some interesting magical items in action.

Overall, I would liken this book to a TV soap opera episode. In itself, it is not much to get excited about. But if become familiar with the characters, you want to find out more about what happens to them, so you sit through things you wouldn’t otherwise bother with. The Halfling’s Gem is OK, but it’s no classic. No need for me to wheel out the word ‘epic’ in this review.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It's Drizzt, btw, and the Globe of Darkness and Faerie Fire are innate Drow abilities, not spells. Drizzt isn't a mage.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He did spend quite some time in the sorcere didnt he? I bet he could pull of a spell or two if he really wanted to. I think I have read most of the Drizzt books but not this one, sounds like it is just like all the other ones. Quite entertaining but nothing to write home about.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Why review this book first. Did you even read the Dark elf trilogy: Exile, Homebound and Sojourn?

I think the Drizzt novels should be reviewed by trilogy not stand alone book.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, Apeman, you may be right about that trilogy comment. That would have made this review much easier.... I told you I was the wrong person to write this review, but I thought it might be good to hear from someone who wasn't a Forgotten Realms guru (because if you were, you've probably already read it).

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Wasn't the Dark Elf trilogy written after the Halfling's Gem? If you're reviewing in chronological (published) order, then... ;)

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I only have this Icewind Dale trilogy of Drizzt books, but if this is representative of Salvatore's novels I don't think I am missing out on much by staying away from them. His charecterisation is pretty shallow and the setting for the fights is strained. I have to admit that the fight sequences are great.
    Still, the few DragonLance books I read were a far more interesting read.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, no they cant be. Salvatore's FR books may not be anything spectacular but they are lightyears better than any Dragonlance book I have read.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Really? I've always thought Weis & Hickman's stuff was a lot better than Salvatore's. *shrug*

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

True the Icewind Dale Trilogy was written before the Dark Elf Trilogy but clearly Drizzt is the main character and the Dark Elf Trilogy is better than the Icewind Dale trilogy. The problem with Salvatores books is that if you've read any Martin or Hobb or Eriksson or Tolkien etc etc the character are bland. But if you read Salvatore first the books are great to get into the fantasy genre and/or the forgotten realms.

I played Baldur's Gate, than read some Salvatores and after that the more brilliant writers but to begin with (especially complete english books when your 16 and your native language is not english) it's the perfect book.

11. joacqin

Media:
    Weis and Hickman can write, just look at their Deathgate Cycle books but their Dragonlance is among the worst crap I have ever read.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Apeman - totally right there. My first fantasy book that I read as a fantasy book (had read The Hobbit several times before that but never really connected it with the genre of fantasy, which didn't really exist for me back then) was Exile - Salvatore makes excellent introductory material, but going back to it makes me cringe :)

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Apeman, well, you can always post your own review... *hint, hint*

AMaster, yes, the Icewind Dale Trilogy was written first, but the recommended reading order today is first the Dark Elf Trilogy and then the Icewind Dale Trilogy. As it is on SP at http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_fr.php

The Dark Elf & Icewind Dale Trilogies are classics in their own right. Not high fantasy ala Martin, but then, they were never meant to be that. As introductory material to (FR) fantasy, they are excellent.

14. rich0203 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A friend of mine has just about all of the Drizzt books, with the exception of any in the last 2 years if there are any. Anyways, I picked the books on Drizzt to read first because of BG1 and I can say I liked them all. Yeah, they're all pretty easy reads compared to others like Weis & Hickman(random Dragonlance books) or Greenwood(Elminster) that I've read. I guess it's just the manner in which you prefer to read; complex, great grammar or easy-flowing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.