1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

George R. R. Martin - The Hedge Knight - Review

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

The Hedge Knight is a graphic adaptation of a short story by George R. R. Martin. It takes place about a hundred years before the opening of the first of the Ice and Fire novels, in Good King Daeron's reign, with the realm at peace and the Targaryen dynasty at its height.

In this prequel story to Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, night falls over the life of one noble knight and brings the dawn of his squire Dunk's knighthood. Dubbing himself "Ser Duncan the Tall," Dunk sets forth to the tourney at Ashford Meadow in search of fame, glory, and the honour of upholding his oath as a knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Unfortunately for him, the world isn't ready for a knight who keeps his oaths, and his chivalrous methods could be the very cause of his demise. During his journey to the tourney, Dunk is joined by a bald little boy by the name of Egg, who turns out to be quite more than he seems...

As I haven't read the original short story I can't compare the two side by side, so I will focus on the graphic adaptation alone. Initially I was sceptic of how well any writing by Martin could be translated to a comic form, but by the end of the graphic novel, all my fears had been dispelled. The graphic novel does not seem to sacrifice details in favour of a more flashy and action-oriented presentation, so The Hedge Knight is quite wordy (in a good way!). The art is exceptionally beautiful and very fitting in style to the story itself, so I think a perfect balance between story and art has been achieved. There is enough of both to keep everyone satisfied.

Fans of magic might be a bit disappointed as they won't find any fireballs flying around in The Hedge Knight, since all the action scenes revolve around standard medieval warfare and equipment. However, there is a unique magic to this graphic adaptation as well. As I've already mentioned, the art is beautiful, and attention to detail painstaking. Those of us who delight in medieval armour, weapons, heraldry, philosophy and so on will really be sucked into the story. Which, being Martin's, is proverbially good. There is more to every character than meets the eye, as well as an important lesson to be learned by all. Dunk's is that truly chivalrous behaviour can come at a steep price, and that few good deeds ever go unpunished.

If I had to nitpick I'd point out that on a few pages the print is too close to the spine of the book so it is hard to read the text there or see the entire image, but this is just a minor annoyance. I would also appreciate page numbers (as there are none) for easier referencing, though I suppose this could potentially break immersion, so the book might be better off without them. All in all, The Hedge Knight is a brilliant introduction to the Ice and Fire saga, or, if you've already read the books, a valuable addition to the Ice & Fire lore collection. Highly recommended.

(I got my hands on the second edition of The Hedge Knight, though as far as I can tell, the only difference between this one and the original, besides the cover art, is some nice new artwork of a few characters in the back of the book. So if you have the first edition, you're not really missing anything.)

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

wow, very glowing review tal. Too bad you didn't read the novel itself though, thst'd what I just ordered from amazon and it's too late to change it to the comic version :/

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Short story, you mean? The Hedge Knight is based on a short story of Martin's only published in some fantasy collection as far as I know.

I heard Dunk is also mentioned in the actual Ice and Fire books though, and I've only recently started reading A Game of Thrones. I've had the first two books in my pile of to-read books for like 2 years, but I was always reading something else. They got priority treatment after I finished The Hedge Knight though. ;)

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The lack of magic is not really an argument here, at that time magic has dissapeared from Westeros. That aspect is what makes Westeros so very compelling, no hocus pocus but politics and medieval warfare. But since you didn't read aSoIaF you couldn't have known, just thought I'd clear that up.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] I think you misunderstood me. It wasn't really an argument for anything. I just mentioned it for those who are new to Ice and Fire and expect magic to be standard fare like in FR. I knew why there wasn't any magic, actually...

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah right you are tal, i just looked it up again in amazon and it is indeed a short story-turned-comic book

7. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Great review Tal....you captured every bit of his unusual presentation -- and I wholeheartedly agree. At first I was a bit skeptical as well, but the artwork was so superior and the story flowed with all the plot ingrigues and nuances of any of the better short stories I've ever read. It was a superb read and a true feast for the eyes. Hmmm....feast, feast, feast.... Feast! Where is it?!? :shake: ;)

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'll be buying this in about 2 years when I come out of my bankruptcy, but a word about the original story: It rocked. Martin is an amazing writer who shifts from detailed description to stylish minimalism with stunning ease.

Dunk's name is mentioned in the regular series in a list of knights.

Great review, Tal!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.