1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How can I buy stuff not listed on SP via Amazon and still give SP credit?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This question has come up in the chatroom today, so apparently the instructions on SP are not quite transparent enough. Therefore, I decided to write a short guide to buying stuff via Amazon through SP. This way SP gets credit for anything you buy (usually 5% for every item), and it doesn't cost you anything more than a regular, non-SP Amazon purchase would. So in this way, you can support SP completely free of charge to yourself! What could be better than this?

Well, maybe the fact that you also get an avatar/portrait + title of your choice if you decide to support SP this way. Click here for more details.

Now, on to the main part of the guide.

As you probably know already, SP features a complete D&D games store, as well as extensive fantasy books and DVDs stores. Anything you buy via the Amazon links listed next to the items in those stores automatically earns SP the highest commission possible. If you buy one book, game or DVD via a link on SP, and then keep shopping via the same window, SP also gets credit for any subsequent purchases you make (though the credit is a bit lower - clicks on direct links earn SP the highest possible credit).

But what to do if an item you want is not listed anywhere on SP, but you still want SP to get the credit for your purchase? There are 2 possible ways to go about it.

1) Simply click on the Amazon link below where you want to shop:

Amazon.com - Amazon.ca - Amazon.co.uk - Amazon.de

When you click on any of the Amazon links above, the front page of that Amazon will open in a new window, and anything you buy from that point on (starting in that window), will earn SP a commission.

OR

2) There's a little more effort needed with this approach, but not much. This route involves making direct links - the end result being the same as if an item was listed on SP and you'd click the Amazon link next to it. In some cases, going this way earns SP a higher commission.

All you need to do with this approach is to go to Amazon (you can use the links above), find the item(s) you want, copy the entire link from the url field, and paste it into one of the fields at Main/translate.php /outdated link removed/ (you can paste in up to 10 different ones at once). Then all you need to do is click the Submit Query button, and voila - you'll get a list of SP-ified direct links to those items. Then just click those links and you can add the items to your cart.

Concerning Privacy

Please keep in mind that all I can see in the Amazon sales statistics is which items were bought via SP, and when. I can't see any details of the buyers whatsoever. So if you buy something via an SP link, the purchase is 100% anonymous. You can elect to tell me about some of the items you bought (in order to get an avatar/title, as noted above), but you don't have to tell me about EVERY item. All I need is enough information for me to be able to check if your order did indeed go through an SP link properly.

However, you can also remain completely anonymous with your purchases (by simply not telling me what you bought), and still support SP.

Thanks in advance to all of you who decide to support Sorcerer's Place this way! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via mail or PM. If all else fails, I can make the purchase links for you myself.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cool - so I can buy nudie stuff on Amazon via SP, and you'll never know that that was what I bought. Nice touch.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tal, I noticed that when I go to .ca, the address is exactly the same whether I do it direct or through the SP link. Is SP supposed to be referenced somewhere in the address? Or does Amazon "know" that I got there via an SP link through some sort of magical hocus-pocus?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, it doesn't start off the same, keep watching the url line once you click and you'll see it starts off with the SP identifier in the url. I believe that once you arrive at the page, the SP identifier is stored in a cookie and automatically used throughout your purchases, so it doesn't appear in the url any more.

5. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

This just came up for me. I used your Amazon click-through last night and starting adding some items to the cart. Then my connection was interrupted. So I am wondering, when I go back through your click-through, will the items I previously added to my cart still get you a commission?

Wondering how this works, some related questions I thought of:

1. If I always use the click-through, but add items to the cart at different times, then use the click-through to check out, will you get all the commissions?

2. If I go directly to Amazon and add items, then later, click-through from here to check out, will you get the commission?

3. If I use the click through here and add items, but later log directly on to Amazon to check out, will you get the commission?

4. If I buy used stuff from 'private' sellers through Amazon (using the click-through here) do you still get a commission?

Also: Does it help if I click on the ads? I do not see most sites still asking to 'Please Click The Ads', so maybe the ad payments have changed.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Good questions.

Yes, as long as you started shopping via an SP link, anything you put in the cart was tagged to bring SP a commission, even if you proceed to checkout later. Note, however, that you must complete the purchase in 24 hours, because after that the session cookie expires.

1. Yes.

2. No. You must start via an SP link. Getting stuff retroactively tagged as coming from SP is not possible. You'd have to remove it from the cart and re-add it, via an SP link one way or another.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

Please PM me with details in a day or two (when I can check the stats) and I'll check how the whole thing went through in practice.

As for the ads, with some it does, and with others it doesn't make much difference (they're not on a set pay-per-click schedule). I'd say only click on them if you see something of interest there. Too many clicks are quickly investigated and if they're discared, it doesn't really help anything.

[ May 21, 2005, 18:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

7. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Some more information regarding bookmarks, and Amazon tracking: