1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Cain challenge

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by omnigodly, May 14, 2007.

1. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I decided I'd give this a shot. I seemed fun and all matching my perform against another bards. Then I quickly realized... this had absolutely nothing to do with that pretty little perform skill I'd been dumping points into. Nope! You hear a tune and you have to match it string pluck for string pluck... how fun.

Of course this isn't just a rant ;) , I'm looking for opinions, which is all I ever look for with these posts :) .

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I just killed the twerp and swipped his "strings" :evil: -yea, I lost my patience with the challenge too.

3. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

it's just one of the most annoying quests in the game, and it doesn't matter at all, if you are a bard or not

dissapointingly, you get about the same reward whether you beat him by playing the instrument, or simply kill him...

i've finished the game with a bard any my perform skill hasn't been used much in the dialogue

4. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

I find it fun. I am an old fan of adventure games and puzzles so for me it was ok.

Besides that I get +3 in influence with Grobnar if I ask him to play the last tune with me. That comes in handy later.....

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I really liked using the insults in between of the songs. My char has high taunt and diplomacy skills :shake:

I found it regrettable when I found out that the perform skill is absolutely useless in that quest. One would presume that when your perform and listen skills are high, you'd have to make less choices because thanks to your skill you knew what you're doing, eliminating the odd choices. Alas....

6. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

well, the first time i played with a sorcerer, having a hard time with this quest

but even if you fail the quest at the end, you can just turn the guy into a fried chicken (you can do this as a spellcaster, but you can kindly ask Qara as well [not sure sand is willing to cooperate though])

it just made me sooo angry...

and what difference does 3 points of influence really do with grobnar anywa.y... not much, i fear

7. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

You know... I didn't think to kill him...now that you've mentioned it, my +5 keen adamantine greatsword has been thirsting for me to frenzy/imp Power attack and kill... *something*.

8. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

it's a dialogue option [set him on fire], and i don't think weapons work

9. Ironhawk Skylord

Actually it does.

There is not many options getting influence with Grobnar before the trial of combat, and if you let the PC fight it, Grobnar does a Ironskin chant or another inspiration chosen on the PC just before the fight.

Then there is the final fight with Black Garius. If you don't have a somewhat high influence with Grobnar, you are going to loose the Construct and have to fight it.

10. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

i don't really see the point in fighting the battle with the PC (except for RP purposes), because you lose a lot of influence with npc's, if you reject their offers to fight for you
    so i always seem to end up fighting either with khelgar, or qara...

moot point, because it's very easy to convince bishop not to fight at all

11. Ironhawk Skylord

You miss (not loose, that´s subtraction, right?) +3 influence with Khelgar, +1 with Qara or Casavir. Sand and Bishop doesn't offer to fight, but to tip the odds, and only if you have higher influence with them than of Casavir and Qara.

Yes, but there is those of us who enjoy smashing Bishop into so much mush.

12. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

----- Rite of Tyr -----
    +3 Khelgar if you say "I am ready" to Hlam and say "If you wish to fight in my place, I'd be honored." to Khelgar
    -3 Khelgar if you say "Just leave. This temple isn't the place for your anger." or "I need someone who won't fight by instinct, Khelgar."
    +1 Sand (if he has a higher influence than Qara) if you say "I would welcome any help you can provide..." or "Anything you can do to tip the odds is fine by me."
    -1 Sand (if he has a higher influence than Qara) if you say "I don't need or want your help, Sand."
    +1 Qara (if she has a higher influence than Sand) if you say "I'd welcome that, I think he wouldn't stand a chance."
    -1 Qara (if she has a higher influence than Sand) if you say "This isn't about killing him - I just want justice, and I need to do it myself." or "I don't want anyone's help..." or "Just get out of here."
    +1 Bishop (if char is female and he has a higher influence than Casavir) if you say "Anything you can do to tip the odds is fine by me." or "I don't need or want your help, Bishop." or "Just get out of here."
    -1 Bishop (if char is female and he has a higher influence than Casavir) if you say "I would welcome any help you can provide, as long as it's within the rules of the duel."
    +1 Casavir (if char is female and he has a higher influence than Bishop) if you say "This is something I have to do on my own..." or "If you wish to fight in my place, I'd be honored."
    -1 Casavir (if char is female and he has a higher influence than Bishop) if you say "I need someone who will fight as dirty as Lorne." or "I don't want your help, Casavir."
    +1 Neeshka (if char is male and she has a higher influence than Elanee) if you say "I would welcome the company."
    -1 Neeshka (if char is male and she has a higher influence than Elanee) if you say "No one can stay with me through the Rite." or "Thanks for the offer, but I can't."

13. Ironhawk Skylord

Ah yes. Forgot Neeshka.

Anyway, you only miss influence points with those who offer to fight for you.

That means Khelgar, Qara or Casavir.

14. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

You're only posting the +1 or -1. If you turn them down respectfully it's +/- 0. Besides, you can get -20 with kelgar and by the end still have enough with him to make him a monk.

I enjoy Killing Qara 'cause she's like one of thosegirls from "My Super Sweet 16" or whatever. God I hate those people.

Never been able to get the golem working (I want to just get the ID's for the ink and the runes I'm too lazy to hunt for, but they're not on IGN's list), so no big deal.

I agree that Grobnar influence is kind've worthless. stoneskin won't help that much if you just run around while Lorne is berserked and fighting golems is fun :) .

15. Ironhawk Skylord

True. You don't gain or loose influence points if you turn them down respectfully. That's why I said "miss" not "loose". That's the problem with influence guides, they don't list the neutral answers.

The rest is a matter of taste. Personally I like the experience of seeing Grobnar giving Bishop the finger in the last fight, just before I rip that eyelined deranged ranger a new one. :)

[ May 17, 2007, 00:01: Message edited by: Ironhawk Skylord ]

16. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Haha, I don't mind Bishop so much. Grobnar is also only the second most annoying character.

"Know" of whom I speak. "Know" that she is annoying. "Know" that I hate how she speaks. "Know" that her voice makes my ears bleed.

"Know" that, that is all.

17. Ironhawk Skylord

You won't enjoy PS:T then.... Not when you run into Dak'kon :D

18. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

i don't think you can turn them down "respectfully" in the rite of tyr

you either receive a bonus, or a penalty, to the influence with npc's that offer you their help

there is no third option in the dialogue

of course, a -1 or a -3 isn't a big deal, but it's disturbing nonetheless, that you have to take a hit if you want to fight by yourself
    it just doesn't make sense from the RP perspective, that your friends hate you more if you decide to fight by yourself

19. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

I never lose any influence with any of my group when I turn them down. There's 4-5 options to accept/turn down for each one.

If you don't believe me try it agian without choosing either of the 2 options you find in walkthrough's and scroll up in your chat log and you'll notice influence isn't mentioned at all. Meaning you didn't gain or lose influence with those characters.

20. Ironhawk Skylord

I agree with omnigodly.

My PC has fought Lorne several times without losing influence with any.

Besides that you get to insult Lorne before the fight with several options depending on your communication skills. Some of the options are hilarious. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.