1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Poll: Least-evil Cell-phone company

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, May 5, 2005.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I just got my SprintPCS bill and it's so ridiculously high from overages that I'm actually considering switching companies. This is AFTER I upgraded my plan a month ago to one with more minutes. Bastards. :toofar:

(First one who tells me "maybe you talk on the phone too much" gets a shot in the pills. :mad: )

This poll really only applies to Americans (sorry - I'm not likely to change services anywhere else), but non-Yanks can feel free to vent their frustrations here too.

So since I'm now considering shopping around, I'd like to see what else is out there, and see what the consencus is on the major wireless carriers. Hence, ye wonderful poll. Also - I'm looking for recommendations from anybody as to what the best company out there is. Sprint has been fine for me up to now, but from what I hear, I'm paying way too much ($40 for the plan, plus roughly another $30/month in arbitrary fees) for relatively little (500 minutes/month, with $.40/minute for overage.

It should also be noted that my cell phone is my only phone, so getting rid of it isn't really an option right now - at least until I get out of school (next March). Help!

[edit - Tal (or whomever) if this is more suited to Techno-magic, feel free to move it. I just figured since it isn't a gadget-specific question it'd be okay - but do whatever. ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Poll: Least-evil Cell-phone company (14 votes.)

Cell-phone service I like the best (or that has screwed me the least): (Choose 1)
    * Sprint PCS - 0% (0)
    * Cingular (this now includes AT&T Wireless) - 7% (1)
    * Verizon - 14% (2)
    * Nextel - 7% (1)
    * T-Mobile - 21% (3)
    * Other (please list) - 50% (7)

I'd rather pass a cantaloupe-sized kidney stone than get phone from: (Choose 1)
    * Sprint PCS - 21% (3)
    * Cingular (this now includes AT&T Wireless) - 29% (4)
    * Verizon - 0% (0)
    * Nextel - 0% (0)
    * T-Mobile - 7% (1)
    * Other (please list) - 43% (6)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, I know what you mean, even if I don't know anything about these companies. In the UK, Vodafone were rubbish, as much for their appalling customer service as for anything else. They just kept making mistakes.

In New Zealand there are only two companies to choose from: Telecom and Vodafone and they're so competitive that their plans and promotions pretty much mirror each other.

$70 a month does sound pretty high to me tough. I spend about NZ$10 per month on my mobile phone(about US$7).

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ha Ha Ha! Death Rabbit, how the hell could you sign your soul over to Sprint PCS?!?! Oh man, my g/f used to work as a Sprint PCS "customer care" rep., so I know enough about how badly Sprint will fu** you over if you give them a chance. If you do become wise and cancel early in your contract, they'll slap on yet another fee to your final bill.

Once you are free from Sprint, do yourself a favor and get T-Mobile. Not only does T-Mobile get great coverage, they also have great phones, and the #1 ranked customer service out of all cell phone providers...which is probably because their call center is in Canada, and Canadians have nothing else to offer the world *except* their friendliness...unless they are French-Canadians. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, T-Mobile also has the sexiest spokes model...CZJ is hot. :love:

Back on topic, I've had T-Mobile for awhile now, and I have never had any complaints with them. Getting a hold of them is as easy as dialing 611 with a T-Mobile phone and telling the automated system, "Speak to a Representative ". I'm currently paying $39 a month for a 400 minute Family plan that offers: 100 free, extra minutes every month, no roaming, no long distance, and free mobile to mobile calling. Try to beat that plan!

So in short, save your soul and get T-Mobile. :thumb: :rolling:

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Death to Telecom!

I'd go with Vodafone in NZ.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tassadar - there's no difference. Telecom introduces free texting on weekends, then Vodafone brings in the same promotion. The main differentiation is the characters in their advertising. Fast Eddie rules.

6. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    In the UK, the best one i have found is O2, great pay monthly plan, £19 a month and you get 500 free texts and 50 anytime minutes or 100 anytime minutes and 25 free texts. They also have a wide range of hpnes to choose from.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

@ Harbourboy

But Telecom are spamming cellphones with their advertising, and ripping off other companies (eg - Slingshot). Death to Telecom!

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Telus (local company) has treated me well so far. From what I hear from my roommates, BellMobility is the worst choice around here currently.

Bell seems to be having an issue with their billing, where it shows that any calls from areas with different towers is considered long distance.

My buddy just got a $300 phone bill for calling within the city, because they marked it as long distance. Of course, it is fixable, but you have to call, wait on hold, have them review it, and so forth.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Mine is a different one. Just a local Polish one, I think, though might be wrong. Idea Centertel or whatever they call themselves now. Low costs, reliable service, just no spectacular goodies from the big but expensive operators, but they do make some nice promos, have nice services and also cover the whole country, so you don't find yourself in dead zones. I love the service which forwards your SMS to a specified e-mail address. This way, you can send short e-mails within your free minutes. They show your number instead of the address, but people can still figure it out and you can always leave clues. They also have a free online SMS gateway, so anyone connected to the internet can send me SMSes for free (you only need to figure out the Polish on the site or follow my instructions closely).

I did hate my previous operator: Plus GSM. They had the biggest fees ever. They had nearly no promos for old customers (apart from 2.5 euro worth of a bonus for birthday), the cost/card validity tariff for pre-paid was murder. Problems with range. SMSes from the operator at night hours whenever your pre-paid credits ran low. Whatever. Bye bye, Plus. Idea is way superior.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Finland has a funny situation with these. The competition runs so high and all are forced to bring their prices so down that many companies are on the edge og bankrupcy because of it. It's good for the customers though, we have all sorts of "special offers" coming from various companies all the time.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Morgoroth

That's because they didn't develope their services to new areas when they could: speaking to phone should be 100% FREE by now and that is one reason why IP-phones are rising their head. Charging 10-30 bucks of live image-call is understandable, but speech only...? No. The companies are still ripping their customers.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have been very happy with Cingular. My dad and sister in Florida also got Cingular so all of our calls are free to each other. My aunt's family are all on Verizon and they seem pretty happy also. Although it is a strong possibility that whichever family's contract ends first, may all switch to the other so we are all on the same plan.

This is one of the few industries where I am actually hoping for additional mergers as the chances of people being on your plan are better.

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I have an Orange/Hutchison cell. It has pretty good reception and we got a decent deal too. Calls on the same network are damn cheap. The one thing I wont be doing with it is roaming, better to get a pre-paid card for the short duration I'll ever be out of the bombay-new bombay area.

Anyone know which other countries the Orange company works? And which is its host country?

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Spain has 3 principal phone companies: Telefonica (the one that sponsors in almost every motor sport) Vodafone and Amena, there are some others that work just in some cities; lately there was a struggle because if you are in Vodafone and want to change to other one you virtually fight for about 6 months to get transfered; every one of the companies offers almost the same and the 3 of them give away to you a free cell phone if you change company.
    I got in 2 months 350 euros in bills, of course, I never spend that money, after I disconnected the web service I recieved my 'normal' bill of 12 euros, of course, I'll never see my stolen 350 euros.

15. Harbourboy

Um, I get spammed on my Vodafone so it's still no different.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

LOL, I was just being a menace. :p

For some reason that Telecom CEO really bugs me.

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

350e*50=17500R :eek:
    350/12=29.16 times to normal :jawdrop:
    You should sue them Sydax.

18. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I feel people over here are changing operators left and right, not me though I've had the same one (elisa) from day one, when I moved out from my parents house. It's probably the most expensive one out there, but I just can't be bothered with changing. I average under 20€/month, so it's not bad. They always call me to make sure I've got the cheapest subscription (right word?) and an upp to date chip, nice people. ;)

19. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I can't; according to them, I made all calls, all downloads and all the surfin'; according to them, machines and computer don't go wrong; according to me, I didn't do anything that they say; I could lost my cellphone or someone could stole to me but then I everytime I got it back I should see the downloaded games but nothing was in it. However, I made a report to the consumer asociation, they have about to 2000 reports this year with cases similar to mine.

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Sydax

Ask them to show the proof then and namely the proof that show YOU made those calls and not someone else. Of course, if you have a trojan on your machine you can blame only yourself...

Take it to court if nothing else helps; big companies don't care for your rights otherwise and you certainly shouldn't just swallow whatever trash they throw at your way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.