Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > News Forums > Game/SP News & Comments > Archived News Forums > Dragon Age Official Forum Highlights & Comments

Notices

Dragon Age Official Forum Highlights & Comments For select forum posts by the game developers collected from the official Dragon Age forums, as well as comments on them. All the news items posted here also appear on the DA official forum news page of Sorcerer's Place.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Fri, 6th Jul '07, 12:43am   #1
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Like: 3
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 62,855
Level: 62
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryEverybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a Crowd
chevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nice

Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, taken from the Dragon Age Official Forum. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

David Gaider, Lead Writer

YART

I'm all for romances having families --

-- in the downtime between adventures. Not during them. Such activities are, I think, best reserved for the "happily ever after".

OK, Female gamers, what kind of men do you like?

As for this particular topic -- what female gamers would like to see in their male romantic leads -- it's one that's of interest to me as I've gone elsewhere to find this info out in that past. Ladies of Neverwinter was a website that LdyShayna ran at one point where I went to ask some questions in order to develop the DA romance a bit, and what I found out then is not unlike what I'm seeing now. Most of you will not get your ideal romance, and chances are good there will be plenty about any given character you won't like. Can't be helped -- everyone has very specific ideas about what they find romantically appealing in a man, yet everyone's ideas are also pretty different. Sure, I can (and did) find a few commonalities amongst them -- but pretty much the only thing I came out of all that was not to retread the same ground as before (which I hadn't planned on, anyhow).

With any luck, I hope I can write something that's decent enough that, like imported_beer pointed out, it's enjoyable despite not being the perfect man.

Old screenshots, questions.

Well, as we said even when some people complained about the 1UP screenshots, those shots were made pretty early on without some graphical features even implemented yet. They gave a far better idea of what the game is going to look like than the E3 2004 shots, of course, but once we put up screenshots here on the website I think it would be a good idea that they look as good as we ourselves would expect them to be.

'Age' in Dragon Age

As has been mentioned, no -- there's no specific age for the player other then that they are relatively young. And this applies to them no matter their race: elves and dwarves age at roughly the same rate as humans do.

For NPC's it's quite easy -- if I think a mage is older and wiser or a warrior older and slower their stats can be adjusted accordingly. There is no "system" to them aging while in-game or anything like that. Really, the time span involved would make such a system unnecessary anyway.

more:

Yes, each origin story starts off with a particular "package" of bonuses and negatives that the character starts off with. And I say origin story because the package will vary slightly even within the same race.

more:

If DA covered a period where your character could actually age, we might consider having effects appropriate to aging. It doesn't. It also specifically starts you off at 1st level, which indicates someone at the beginning of their career and therefore "relatively young" as I said.

I suppose we could create a specific background where a character is older and yet somehow still only 1st level, if we really wanted to. We don't. We had to cut down on the number of backgrounds we had planned anyhow, and I'm not sure how much appeal an "older" background would have to start with.
chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote