1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Message Boards Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The original notice is posted below the dotted lines (.........); this notice is for any late arrivals to the new boards now that the old ones are no longer online:

PLEASE BOOKMARK THE NEW BOARDS O' MAGICK URL: http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/index.php

LOGIN INFORMATION FOR THE NEW MESSAGE BOARDS - IMPORTANT!

1. For all the existing users, the USER NAME on these new boards is your PUBLICLY DISPLAYED NAME (PDN) from the old boards. If you don't remember what your PDN on the old boards was, please contact us with as much information about your old account as you can provide (user name, e-mail, etc.) and we will search for your login information. PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER ANEW ON THE NEW BOARDS IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN EXISTING ACCOUNT FROM THE OLD BOARDS - IT IS STILL ACTIVE!!!

2. Your password on the old and the new boards is the same.

----------------------
    THUS FAR WE HAVE HAD AT LEAST 1 CONFIRMED CASE WHERE THE USER'S PASSWORD FROM THE OLD BOARDS HAS APPARENTLY NOT BEEN CARRIED OVER PROPERLY, AND THE USER COULD NOT LOG IN WITH HER PASSWORD ON THE NEW BOARDS. IN SUCH A CASE, USE THE "LOST PASSWORD" LINK ON THE NEW BOARDS AND ENTER THE SAME PROFILE E-MAIL THAT YOU HAD SET ON THE OLD BOARDS (YOU WILL BE ABLE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD THIS WAY).

IF YOUR MAIL FROM THE OLD BOARDS IS NO LONGER ACTIVE, PLEASE CONTACT TAL AND DESCRIBE YOUR PROBLEM AND WE'LL FIX IT.
    ----------------------

IMPORT NOTES

Please read all of this carefully; most of the questions that you probably have are answered here:

1. As per this announcement, private messages (PMs) HAVE NOT CARRIED OVER TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARDS. Now that the old boards have been taken offline, the only way to retrieve your old private messages is to contact Tal to do this for you. Please note that this is a PAID service which we provide as a last resort option to any members who didn't save their old PMs themselves in nearly a year of time during which this was possible.

2. What has been imported: Members, Forums, Threads, Posts and Polls (as textual archives of the entire poll contents & results).

3. There is always the chance that some threads/posts have not carried over to the new message boards during the import. If you spot a thread/post missing from the new boards that exists on the old boards, please send a PM to Taluntain on the new boards with the link to the thread/post and we'll arrange for a re-post, if warranted.

4. After logging into the new boards, you will need to reapply your profile picture, if you have had one set on the old boards. The profile picture is the large(r) picture that shows only when people view your profile; this is not your portrait/avatar! You can find the imported url of your profile picture from the old boards stored in your legacy "profilepic" profile field on the new boards. If the url was too long, it wasn't imported properly. In such a case, reapply the picture url here.

5. !!! Certain members have had their avatars/portraits and/or titles messed up during the import. This will all be fixed as soon as possible. !!!

6. The gem ranking system and stickies will be added back ASAP.

7. The style (colour scheme, etc.) of the boards will be adjusted to match our old boards. What you are seeing now is just the default skin.

8. Please keep in mind that this is currently a bare-bones, unmodified board. There will be MANY changes made to it in the following days and weeks, so please be patient while the settings and features from the old boards are being restored here.

Other notes:

- The "last visited in 1970" thing is normal; it defaults to that because that data is not imported. It updates the first time you log in.
    - The private forums are password protected; this is just for so long that I can properly reapply permissions to users allowed to access them.
    - Post icons in imported posts only show in the first post inside a thread.
    - Wish list links in Members' Amazon Wish Lists forum will need to be fixed.
    - The "more smilies" popup window will need to be resized.

If you have any questions or comments regarding the switch, don't be shy to post them here. If you spot anything broken or not working properly that isn't listed here, please let me know immediately.

Finally, explore the new boards and features and have fun - the next generation of Boards o' Magick is here at least! ;)

.................................................................................
    .................................................................................

PLEASE BOOKMARK THE NEW BOARDS O' MAGICK URL: http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/index.php

LOGIN INFORMATION FOR THE NEW MESSAGE BOARDS - IMPORTANT!

1. For all the existing users, the USER NAME on these new boards is your PUBLICLY DISPLAYED NAME (PDN) from the old boards. If you don't remember what your PDN on the old boards was, simply log into the old message board with your old login information and look your PDN up in your profile area. If you have lost your old login information, you can retrieve it here. If you cannot retrieve your old login information via this link, please contact us with as much information about your old account as you can provide and we will search for your login information. PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER ANEW ON THE NEW BOARDS IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN EXISTING ACCOUNT FROM THE OLD BOARDS!!!

2. Your password on the old and the new boards is the same.

----------------------
    THUS FAR WE HAVE HAD AT LEAST 1 CONFIRMED CASE WHERE THE USER'S PASSWORD FROM THE OLD BOARDS HAS APPARENTLY NOT BEEN CARRIED OVER PROPERLY, AND THE USER COULD NOT LOG IN WITH HER PASSWORD ON THE NEW BOARDS. IN SUCH A CASE, USE THE "LOST PASSWORD" LINK ON THE NEW BOARDS AND ENTER THE SAME PROFILE E-MAIL THAT YOU HAD SET ON THE OLD BOARDS (YOU WILL BE ABLE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD THIS WAY).

IF YOUR MAIL FROM THE OLD BOARDS IS NO LONGER ACTIVE, PLEASE CONTACT TAL AND DESCRIBE YOUR PROBLEM AND WE'LL FIX IT.
    ----------------------

IMPORT NOTES

Please read all of this carefully; most of the questions that you probably have are answered here:

1. As per this announcement, private messages (PMs) HAVE NOT CARRIED OVER TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARDS. Please see the announcement for details on how to save your old PMs.

2. What has been imported: Members, Forums, Threads, Posts and Polls (as textual archives of the entire poll contents & results).

3. There is always the chance that some threads/posts have not carried over to the new message boards during the import. If you spot a thread/post missing from the new boards that exists on the old boards, please send a PM to Taluntain on the new boards with the link to the thread/post and we'll arrange for a re-post, if warranted.

4. After logging into the new boards, you will need to reapply your profile picture, if you have had one set on the old boards. The profile picture is the large(r) picture that shows only when people view your profile; this is not your portrait/avatar! You can find the imported url of your profile picture from the old boards stored in your legacy "profilepic" profile field on the new boards. If the url was too long, it wasn't imported properly. In such a case, grab it from your profile on the old boards. Reapply the picture url here.

5. !!! Certain members have had their avatars/portraits and/or titles messed up during the import. This will all be fixed as soon as possible. !!!

6. The gem ranking system and stickies will be added back ASAP.

7. The style (colour scheme, etc.) of the boards will be adjusted to match our old boards. What you are seeing now is just the default skin.

8. Please keep in mind that this is currently a bare-bones, unmodified board. There will be MANY changes made to it in the following days and weeks, so please be patient while the settings and features from the old boards are being restored here.

Other notes:

- The "last visited in 1970" thing is normal; it defaults to that because that data is not imported. It updates the first time you log in.
    - The private forums are password protected; this is just for so long that I can properly reapply permissions to users allowed to access them.
    - Post icons in imported posts only show in the first post inside a thread.
    - Wish list links in Members' Amazon Wish Lists forum will need to be fixed.
    - The "more smilies" popup window will need to be resized.

If you have any questions or comments regarding the switch, don't be shy to post them here. If you spot anything broken or not working properly that isn't listed here, please let me know immediately.

Finally, explore the new boards and features and have fun - the next generation of Boards o' Magick is here at least! ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  2. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Wheee! Yay for new boards!

Taluntain likes this.
  3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :banana: Hip hip hooray. Tal did it. Thanks for all the hard work.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have probably missed something but why the need to change boards? I had grown accustumed to the old one and now this one looks so ... generic. I liked orange on black. Blue on blue well, it looks like all other forums in the world. I apologice if I am whining and I know you put in a lot of work Tal and as always it is appreciated.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I like it...of course, like joacqin I loved the old boards...they had a unique feel to them...but this is good too...

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It won't stay like this, I'm pretty sure...

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    From the first post:

"7. The style (colour scheme, etc.) of the boards will be adjusted to match our old boards. What you are seeing now is just the default skin."

Thank you for reading. :p

joacqin, the need for the switch has been discussed several times in SS over the years, but to recap... UBB (our old message board software) was flat-file based and completely discontinued over a year ago. The new message board software is modern, database-backed, chock-full of new features and actively supported. I've wanted to switch for a long time, but the stars have finally aligned properly now so that I was actually able to do it the way I wanted to - with minimal loss and as perfectly as possible.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK I'm on! Now where my war hammer? :smash:

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] I've edited the first post in this thread to account for login problems.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Holy crap! This is even better than the beta boards!

Great job, Tal! :thumb:

Edit - except my avatar isn't showing yet. Of couse, neither is Tal's. Minor things to work out yet. :)

Edit #2 - joacqin in a whiner. :p

Edit # 3 - why did the Boards just change colour? Not that I'm complaining - it's even better! I guess it's one of the many fine-tuning things Tal is doing.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  11. Taluntain

Media:
    There'll be a lot of fine-tuning in the next few days... buckle up for safety! :lol:

If anyone is still seeing the default board style (colours, etc.), log out and back in and you'll see something more familiar. This is just a quick take on it, of course, still a lot to be fixed.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I'm the second case of the old password not carried over correctly...

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The only problem with my password is that on the new boards it is case sensitive.

This place is very shiny.

EDIT: Yayness, my marilith made the move! :banana:

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

this will take some getting used to :eek: the new look is kinda... bright? i dunno, something.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Now this is kooky looking. Good to the see that the new boards have finally arrived (and by that I mean 'after so long that I'd forgotten there were ever going to be new boards' :p ).

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It's looking better and better. :thumb:

Even though the beta phase is over, I'm sure Tal still has a *lot* of things to do.

One question I just had:
    For us SPS members, we used to have to login on the main SP page and select an "ad level", and then login again on the BoM. How is the SPS login going to change on the new boards? Will logging in once on the BoM instantly kill all the ads? :rolling:

Taluntain likes this.
  17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, well - I could *definitely* get used to this! :thumb:

18. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    And after all the excitement, then forgetting about it, then wondering "Whatever happened to those new boards" and repeat, it's finally here! :thumb: Thanks for all your fantastic efforts Tal, appreciated by all! And let the spamming begin! :D

Incidentally, my personal comment doesn't seem to work anymore. Not the most important problem on your plate right now I'd imagine though ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
    Dalveen and Taluntain like this.
  19. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's all shiny and new and even better than before. I like it! :)

20. Taluntain

Media:
    There are some places where the new board is CaSe-sensitive, whereas the old one wasn't. Most notably, when logging in, and with the smiley code. I'll check if this can be changed for the smilies, but the login sensitivity most likely can't be changed.

Kitrax, you actually didn't have to login twice on the boards. As soon as you were logged in with your SPS login, all ads would be disabled on the boards without any other action required. Initially, I'll most likely just copy things over from the old board since it'll be the fastest, but later on we'll come up with something more elegant.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.