1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Infinity Engine Modding News at SP

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If you look at our news forum listing, you'll spot that there's a new forum there now - Infinity Engine Modding. What is posted in that forum is also available among the regular SP news pages, here.

The news that appears there originates at The Gibberlings Three and is posted there by various modders. Information for the unwashed masses includes announcements of new mods, updates to mods and modding tools, contest announcements, and other IE modding-related information. Although all modders don't seem to be using this shared promotion resource over at G3 (or not consistently anyway), it is still a pretty good collection of regularly updated news from the IE modding scene, so it should prove valuable to our visitors.

Replies to the news can be posted in our IEM news forum, but new threads may only be created by the site staff.

Splunge likes this.
  2. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Another excellent addition for those of us who just can't let go of IE, awesome work :thumb:

3. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

This makes me quite happy. :)

All G3, SHS, PPG, CoM, TeamBG, RPGD (as well as a number of relevant news bits like weidu.org, DLTC(EP), IER, and IESDP) news is in the thread; I'm curious what you think is missing? AFAIK only BWL doesn't post consistently. :)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well yes, BWL was the one I noticed as missing, or rather not completely up to date news-wise. Not that I was surprised, knowing the circumstances in the IE modding universe... if any modder has issues with posting news over at G3 for some reason, we'll be happy to post it over here.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Yay!

/me claps for Tal

:thumb:

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Will there also be a way for independent modders who aren't associated with any of the bigger modding communities to submit news about new mods or large updates, or is this only meant for those large-scale projects run by the communities?

This is a very good idea, in the long run I think it's wiser to gather cross-community modding news at a neutral source.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  7. CamDawg

It's meant for everyone. If you want access to post, just ask. :)

That's why we started it almost three years ago to the day. :)

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Cooool! Are there tutorials and such? I want to get back into modding for BG2, I just need a bit of help.

9. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's lot's of tutorials both at G3 and PPG, and you always have IESDP.

10. CamDawg

And don't be afraid to ask questions. Most modding forums (G3 included) have forums dedicated to modding Q&A, as the engine has a lot of quirks.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Apparently it's meant for everyone at G3, but as I said, if anyone doesn't want to post their mod's news there for some reason, we'll be happy to do it over here. Simply send the news to me and I'll post it. The only downside of this is that you lose some visibility, because your news won't show up at both G3 and SP, but only SP.

Ideally the whole news feed would originate at SP and be then imported by the modding sites (which might take care of the neutrality issue), but since this is G3's baby I doubt they'd agree to turn things around like that. Though I'm relatively sure that there are some modders out there who hold grudges against me or SP for one reason or another, so achieving true neutrality with anything concerning IE modding is really mission impossible, because in the end every site is owned by somebody that someone has problems with. Hence my suggested alternative, which isn't perfect, but it's the best that can be done under the circumstances.

There are a few tutorials at SP too, in the BG2 Tips, Tricks & Hints and/or Mods subsections. Though some of them are outdated by now most likely.

12. CamDawg

And TeamBG and SHS, which already incorporate the feed from G3.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is great! I've been spending a bit of time lurking at G3 lately, and they (along with other sites) have a lot of quality mods on the go. Personally, the one I want to try in my next BG2 run is the greatly-expanded Level 1 NPC mod, but I think it's still in Beta (but getting closer to final).

It would also be nice to see BWL represented; not likely to happen at G3 given the current, um, circumstances, but hopefully they'll post in the new SP forum.

Thanks, Tal!

:thumb:

14. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And you know, it's probably all for the best that BWL doesn't participate in activities that involve the rest of the of Infinity Engine modding community. Some things are just best kept apart.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IIRC, you're a regular poster at BWL, so I assume you don't mean this as a shot at either BWL or the rest of the IE community, but rather more of a "keep the peace" type of comment. (Plus I've never thought of you as someone wanting to fan certain flames. Unlike me. :D )

16. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Absolutely. As a diehard BG fan, I respect and appreciate what all of these guys are doing. It just never seems to go well when certain personalities interact, so perhaps it's best to just to keep them separate.

Don't get me wrong... I've found my share of entertainment value in several of the back-and-forths that have occurred between several of the BG modders, but ultimately, I feel that it only serves to detract from the great work so many of these guys are doing.

Hopefully I'm not serving to fan flames at this point....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.