1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Third party party!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Anjo, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I'm planning to use mod NPC's only on my next run. I'm not very familiar with NPC mods, so I'd like to hear suggestions from you. I decide my PC's class after choosing NPC's. I'd like 'em to be:

• good or neutral aligned
    • if possible, NPC have own quest
    • quality of dialog, not amount of it

And I like to have balanced party, all bases covered. So, any ideas?

TIA

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Kelsey!!!

3. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I've helped coding Angelo, and from his dialogue and quests(which are working :) ), he might be just what you seek. He is chaotic neutral, leaning towards good.

I love playing with Kivan and my own Xan, myself. You could try Xan for his quests alone; there's also an "Alternate class(Sorcerer, Mage, Fighter/Mage)" component.

I also second the recommendation of Kelsey, and add Keto to it.

Generally, NPC mods at Pocketplane.net and Gibberlings3.net tend to be good. There's also Fade at Spellhold Studios, though she's SoA-only.

4. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

For BG2, I can recommend from personal complete playthroughs and code review/analysis Taisha at SHS, Kivan at G3, and Keto at PPG as solid and enjoyable companions;

For a different kind of adventure, Amber at G3 is very interesting, and she features not only romance and friendship tracks for the protagonist, but also a romance track for a second PC in a multiplayer game (Player 2) and single player game if you create the multiplayer party and move it to the single-player side.

There are a bunch of NPCs out there, and some of your choice might depend on if you want a romance for a female player/male player - or whether it is important for you to keep haing conversations in ToB with the same NPCs. Not all NPCs actually banter/discuss in ToB, only having content for SoA (I personally don't think this matters much - after several zillion hours of gameplay, ToB becomes rather a straight shot. But some NPC mods do add new quests/encounters/possibilities for ToB - Kivan has some of his best stuff there dealing with his dead wife).

5. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Besides those allready mentioned I'd recommend Auren Aseph found at G3. She's awsome. You might want to consider wether they have ToB materiel or not...

6. Anjo Gems: 6/31

Allright, now I'm considering following party (based on your suggestions, Thanks to all!):

• PC -?
    • Angelo -Fi/Ma
    • Auren -Fighter
    • Amber -Fi/Thi
    • Biddekelorak -Priest of Lathander
    • Kelsey -Sorc

It turned out to be actually very balanced, strong party IMO. PC could be even commoner and still that party is good.

I'm not sure about PC's class, maybe druid; never played as one, or bard, or ranger cleric or... What do you think? I like to have output from you again.

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    A Berserker/Druid would be fun (immunities while raging) or a Kensai/Druid (with barkskin and ironskins you don't need an armour). Up to level 9 is not a problem since druids level up fast (at least until they level 10).

A Blade is a powerful option (offensive works with ranged attacks as well). A Jester's song at high levels is really uber so you might want to try that.

I would avoid the Ranger/Cleric multiclass since its way too powerful (both HLAs). A DC Beastmaster/Cleric or Priest of Lathander/Ranger is less powerful and it might be a better idea to keep some challenge in the game.

Judging from your party I'd go with a Bard kit because there are enough fighters already. Eventually a Druid for a change (or Ranger/Cleric for more divine power).

Regarding NPCs, apart from Kelsey (which is greatly done but which I don't like that much) you may want to try Keto (she's great) and if you want some good fun you should try Hubelpot as well.

8. Shaitan

It's of course up to you how you play, but playing a game with only NPCmods won't give you the same experience as ie playing a game with only one or two NPC mods and three Bioware NPC's to fill out. Most NPC mods are IMO made to be an supplement to the original Bioware NPC's and thus giving better banters when together with an original Bioware NPC. Nalia and Auren is a good example. And remember to install the crossmod mod.

9. Klorox

LOL, sounds like you played it already! :D

BTW, I second Caradras' suggestion of a Fighter/Druid. I'd go multiclass or Berserker > Druid dual.

Absolutely. NPC mods all talk with the Bioware NPCs. Play with 1 or 2, as Shaitan said.

10. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

Biddekelorak -Priest of Lathander?

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ranger, druid or bard -- I think the stronghold quests for the bard are the most interesting, followed by the ranger. I thought the cleric stronghold quests were a bit boring. A ranger, either an archer or stalker, would fit well. I also like shapeshifters -- they are very fun to play.

Are you using any other mods?

If you are using rogue rebalancing the bard classes become quite powerful (although the blade is powerful enough as is). The shapeshifter rebalancing will turn your shapeshifter kit into an unstoppable killing machine. The greater werewolf with shapeshifter rebalancing is the best melee character in the game -- bar none. It can be boring at times though.

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Definitely take Keto. She's a very good mod character, and not a compulsive attention seeker, just a very nice addition to the party.

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    While I would also advise only playing with a couple of mod NPCs, if you want to use all modded ones, then it would probably be a good idea to lookat the Crossmod Banter Pack. That way, you will at least get some dialogue between party members, rather than simply silence. I seem to recall Kivan being quite a talkative fellow (ironically enough).

14. Shaitan

15. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It's very true. However, even then you won't have all NPCs talking to each other, if you have an all-mod party. Here is the full list of the available banters: Crossmod Banter Pack. Generally, Amber, Hubelpot, Iylos, Kivan and Xan have a lot of crossmod content.

16. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

Shaitan, thanks for the link - nethrin as in Nethrin and Sillara?

(Checked the mod - Dwarven Cleric for SoA/ToB)

17. Anjo Gems: 6/31

Thanks to everybody for your comments and suggestions!

I know I loose banter between NPC's by using mod NPC's only, but I'm sick'n tired to original NPC's, played them enough. About Crossmod Banter Pack, it won't be much of use in my party. My point was to experience as much mod NPC's as possible on one run before I go solo. I think PC's going to be druid.

18. Klorox

Unless you're set on a kit, I highly recommend dual classing a Berserker into a Druid, just to get to wear better armor. Dual right away, and you'll be a druid before leaving the first dungeon.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.