Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Forum of Holding > The Broken Hourglass

Notices

The Broken Hourglass For posts concerning Planewalker Games' CANCELLED non-D&D CRPG inspired by Baldur's Gate 2.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Thu, 3rd Apr '08, 5:24pm   #1
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 249
Liked 168 Times in 106 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 53,801
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryThe Popular One
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future
Best Chance for a BG2 Spiritual Successor?

We regularly post news about any TBH developments on the front page, so most of you are familiar with TBH by now.

For those of you still in the dark (or needing to refresh your memory), check out our interview with Jason Compton.

How much of a deterrent is the absence of D&D rules and the Forgotten Realms setting going to be to you?

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 3rd Apr '08, 5:30pm   #2
Death Rabbit
SPS Account Holder
Straight, no chaser

Like: 21
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,827
Level: 37
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!
Death Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, when you said TBH I assumed it stood for "The Black Hound," aka Baldur's Gate 3. I got a little excited there ...
Old Thu, 3rd Apr '08, 5:33pm   #3
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

That TBH is dead and buried... There was talk of Sawyer recreating it as a NWN2 module, but I doubt that's ever going to happen. So for all intents and purposes, TBH today stands only for The Broken Hourglass.

Old Thu, 3rd Apr '08, 6:02pm   #4
Harbourboy
Take thy form from off my door!

Like: 65
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 28,384
Level: 45
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Party of FiveNew DeliveryThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Harbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to beholdHarbourboy is a splendid one to behold

Depends on how long it would take to try and learn some different rules.
Harbourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 3rd Apr '08, 6:07pm   #5
cmorgan
Non scholae sed vitae discimus

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 694
Level: 9
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
cmorgan is on a distinguished road

Absolutely no deterrent from my perspective. The use of interactive dialogue to advance a good storyline, coupled with an immersive gameworld, and the result will be strong gaming regardless of ruleset.

Plus, JCompton has shortcircuited two big challenges to building stable immersive games.

1. He has a development cycle which is longer, meaning more time to build a stable and consistent game without the spectre of bankrupcy or the house dropping the project - giving the writers and coders the freedom to say "what if we..." that one or two more times where a big house would say "good enough - scrap this, scrap that, push it out, and we'll patch it later".
2. He successfully brought the old guard (and one or two newbie) modders from PPG, who were known (to him) quantities, and (I assume) has made the most of their strengths and weaknesses. This means folks who were irked enough with the difficulties of other games, and have proven themselves willing to build new content at their own time and expense *just to get it right* have been allowed to say "I liked that, I didn't like that". I wish all development teams were like that.

So no deterrent at all. A new world to explore, and good stuff. And a development team that will know things from a modder perspective, so the replayability and community extension is likely to be strong.
cmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 4th Apr '08, 1:08am   #6
Blackthorne TA
SPS Account Holder
Administrator
Master in his Own Mind

Hardly any. Forgotten Realms much less so than D&D rules.

I have mixed feelings for different rules. On the one hand it makes it more difficult to jump in and know what you're doing; on the other it's fun to learn new things and experiment.
Old Fri, 4th Apr '08, 10:22am   #7
Marceror Points for Thread Ratings Given
SPS Account Holder
Editor
Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps

Like: 28
Liked 103 Times in 84 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 6,100
Level: 24
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Three's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Marceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud of

As much as I love D&D and the FR setting, the red-tape of using this IP in computer games seems to hurt more than it helps these days. Last I checked, Atari owned the rights to all D&D based computer games (haven't been paying attention to any possible recent changes here). This, in my humble opinion, is reason enough to avoid making D&D CRPGs.

At any rate, the BG series is hands down my favorite computer game of all time. It is truly a joy to see that several longtime BG2 modders are trying to recapture the essence of what made the game good. If they are successful in doing that, it won't matter a lick to me that it's not a D&D setting.

This project gives me hope. I hope it's wildly successful. I hope that it opens the doors to many more games built in the same spirit. I hope that it serves to restore some of my lost faith in the future of CRPGs.

Thanks to the dev team for your initiative here.
Marceror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 4th Apr '08, 8:42pm   #8
Merlanni
SPS Account Holder

Like: 25
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,188
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Merlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the rough

I was a FPS playet until I stumbled over the BG2 demo. I hardly have played shooters since. I have a map of Toril as desktop, I have all the big dragons, and more than a hundred miniatures scattered around my house. Yes it got out of hand.

However I have faith in the people of TBH. Everybody started small, even Bioware. 20 years from now it is possible that they own a big company, or not. Until then we applaud every etc etc. No I do not mind, but it hurts. I am a big boy I won't cry.
Merlanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 5th Apr '08, 2:44am   #9
Splunge
SPS Account Holder
Bhaal’s financial advisor

Location: In hiding after Bhaal became Lord of Murder when I had him put everything into subprime mortgages.
Like: 21
Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,335
Level: 36
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Splunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm really looking forward to this. Any info on when it might be released? I'm looking for a year (maybe a quarter), not a specific date. (Duke Nukem Whatever comes to mind.)
Old Sat, 5th Apr '08, 4:00pm   #10
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

There's no set release date at the moment. At least there wasn't when I checked last.

Old Wed, 9th Apr '08, 3:18pm   #11
Kitrax
Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 19,758
Level: 39
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Kitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud ofKitrax has much to be proud of

Hmmm...somehow I managed to not know about any of this until now. Considering JC and Wes are 'partners' in this endevor, I'm expecting some great NPCs with tons of voiced interparty dialog.

I certainly hope things go well...
Old Wed, 9th Apr '08, 11:23pm   #12
Ziad
I speak in rebuses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 9,182
Level: 28
vBActivity - Bars
Ziad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluntain View Post
How much of a deterrent is the absence of D&D rules and the Forgotten Realms setting going to be to you?
None. There have been some great D&D and FR games, and some atrocious ones. The system and the world do not guarantee a good game. If Planewalker Games manage to create a good system and a good world then I'm all for it.

I've got to say I'm really excited about the game!
Ziad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 18th Apr '08, 12:19am   #13
Beetle
Gems: 1/31
Latest gem: Turquoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 309
Level: 6
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Beetle is on a distinguished road

It may take a little while to learn their rules, but the lack of D&D 2.0 won't bother me. And TBH not using Forgotten Realms is less of a deterrent than the Infinity Engine games not taking place in Greyhawk, the real D&D setting (if you're ancient like me)
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 18th Apr '08, 6:45pm   #14
Ziad
I speak in rebuses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 9,182
Level: 28
vBActivity - Bars
Ziad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
TBH not using Forgotten Realms is less of a deterrent than the Infinity Engine games not taking place in Greyhawk, the real D&D setting
That's a very valid point actually.

I was thinking about this and remembered that the majority of people who have played PST consider it to be a superior game to BG and IWD, even though PST doesn't take place in the Forgotten Realms. I suppose that's another reason why the different setting doesn't bother me.
Ziad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 19th Apr '08, 11:27pm   #15
Ofelix
The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Like: 24
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 13,595
Level: 33
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements The Popular OneNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Ofelix will become famous soon enoughOfelix will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Ofelix

I'm surprised that the fact this game will lack D&D rules and FR setting was even brought up. What does it matter? nothing! If a game is good then it's good. Honestly I'm happy they didn't make it a D&D game

1- Atari owns the rights, meh!
2- I'm tired of the black and white, good vs evil, absolutely no gray area of most DnD stuff
3- Atari!!

However, isn't this a forum about D&?D CRPGs? At least in theory
Old Mon, 21st Apr '08, 2:45am   #16
NOG (No Other Gods)
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 11,763
Level: 31
vBActivity - Bars
NOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant futureNOG (No Other Gods) has a brilliant future

Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. As for the setting and rules change, I have no problem with it. Forgotten Realms is a beautiful and wonderfully developed setting, yes, but it's been done... a lot. Variety is nice. As for D&D version whatever rules, I've never been a big fan of them myself. IMO BG, BG2, and PS:T were great games in spite of teh D&D rules more than because of them.

As to the direct title of the topic, do you all think this will be closer to a spiritual successor than Dragon Age? There are a lot of evident similarities: new setting, new rules, gradient saves in stead of binary ones, etc.; but also a lot of differences: point buy leveling, constant mana values, enchanted items using mana. All in all, I think this sounds encouraging, but DA does have several of the original BG2 writting team, as well. Of course, this genre is thin enough these days that I won't complain about multiple titles competing for that level of quality.

Does any one have even a guess about the release date? DA will likely be coming out within a year, though that's not official. How long has TBH been in development?
NOG (No Other Gods) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 23rd Apr '08, 2:05am   #17
ion
Gems: 5/31
Latest gem: Andar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 679
vBActivity - Bars
ion is on a distinguished road

I've been reading the developer's journals on this one for awhile and am pretty excited. Ofcourse, good ideas don't neccesarily make a good game, but I think this title has the best chance to recreate some of the feel of BG. Dragon age might be a great game, but I think it will feel very different than BG.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 24th Apr '08, 1:53pm   #18
Cal Jones
I'm not dead yet

Bubble Trouble Champion! Stack The Cats Champion!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 813
vBActivity - Bars
Cal Jones will become famous soon enough

I really love the Fallout games even though they have their own ruleset and a completely different setting. As long as the story is good and the mechanics are good, then it'll be fun.
The problem, for me, is the reliance of cutting edge graphics and, in particular, 3D. When I was still writing for games mags at the end of the 90s I wrote a column moaning all about how 3D was ruining RPGs. What I feared then has come to pass now. If a game doesn't look amazing it won't sell, and if it won't sell, it won't get made. Hardcore roleplayers like us get ignored.
What I miss, most of all, is parties, and this was my biggest criticism about NWN. I really felt the lack of party interaction.
I have played and enjoyed solo games like Morrowind (and hell, Ultima Underworld for that matter) but it's the party dynamic that keeps me going back to BG/2 and PS:T over and over.
I even enjoy parties in the IWD games - although they don't say anything, at least you have six characters to muck around with, level and develop, and in my own mind they had fun personalities of their own.
The characters in Fallout 2 (more so than Fallout 1 where they didn't do or say much at all) were also pretty good - probably on a par with BG 1 in terms of interactivity - I loved the little stuff like Cassidly moaning about his dodgy heart or being able to take Marcus to the Cat's Paw and everyone clapping after he had been serviced by the prostitute.
This is what I miss with newer games, and I want to see it return!
Cal Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 29th Apr '08, 7:45am   #19
Yulaw9460
Gems: 8/31
Latest gem: Skydrop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,045
Level: 11
vBActivity - Bars
Yulaw9460 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Jones View Post
This is what I miss with newer games, and I want to see it return!
What, more games with mutants in *****houses?
Yulaw9460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 1st May '08, 2:53pm   #20
Cal Jones
I'm not dead yet

Bubble Trouble Champion! Stack The Cats Champion!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 813
vBActivity - Bars
Cal Jones will become famous soon enough

Ha ha! Parties with characters who feel as though they have a bit of life to them. (Humour always helps, mind...)
Cal Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 8th May '08, 5:42am   #21
Deathmage
Arrr!

Like: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,839
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Deathmage is a jewel in the roughDeathmage is a jewel in the roughDeathmage is a jewel in the rough

Hmm. Does this mean no de'Arnise romance? Bah.

Still, jcomton is well known for his high quality stuff. It's interesting to see that ten years after it came out, BG2 is still attracting modders...pretty much every NPC who has a name is joinable now...hmm.

Wonder when they'll make a mod based on that ettin in the Sahuagin gladiatorial ring.

EDIT: Holy crap de'Arnise romance released. Looks like I have to reinstall BG2 now!
Deathmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 8th May '08, 6:19am   #22
Marceror Points for Thread Ratings Given
SPS Account Holder
Editor
Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps

Like: 28
Liked 103 Times in 84 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 6,100
Level: 24
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Three's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Marceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmage View Post
Wonder when they'll make a mod based on that ettin in the Sahuagin gladiatorial ring.
You would be referring to the Mongo mod, I believe.

Speaking of mods, hopefully TBH will be modable!
Marceror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 8th May '08, 9:08am   #23
Deathmage
Arrr!

Like: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,839
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Deathmage is a jewel in the roughDeathmage is a jewel in the roughDeathmage is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marceror View Post
You would be referring to the Mongo mod, I believe.
You got me there.

Given the fact that jcompton and Weimer both started out as modders, I don't doubt that it'll be moddable. I hope they make the game dialogue-based, but seeing as how it's a *Baldur's Gate* spiritual successor I don't think that'll be the case. Oh well.
Deathmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 21st May '08, 5:13pm   #24
omnigodly
Gems: 17/31
Latest gem: Star Diopside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,804
Level: 17
vBActivity - Bars
omnigodly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to omnigodly

Looking forward to this.
omnigodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 25th May '08, 7:22pm   #25
Merlanni
SPS Account Holder

Like: 25
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,188
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Merlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the rough

This can be one of those surprises.
Merlanni is offline   Reply With Quote