Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > Site-related Forums > Sorcerous Sundries

Notices

Sorcerous Sundries For posts dealing exclusively with Sorcerer's Place, Boards o' Magick and their specific residents. If you have any questions or comments about the site, chatrooms or boards, post them all here. Hello's and goodbye's also go here.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Mon, 20th Apr '09, 1:22pm   #26
Silvery Points for Visitor Messages (Given)
I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not that nice

Like: 76
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 9,595
Level: 29
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Bronzed Blogging God(dess)Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew Delivery
Silvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to Silvery

I just got an ad on the front page offering me a green card to the USA if I could name the president.... that can't be right
Old Mon, 20th Apr '09, 4:55pm   #27
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 309
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 54,217
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnEverybody Loves Me!Wanna Share
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

Please check the first post in this thread for info on what kind of ads to report; I can't really remove every single ad that is (or seems) off. Only the ones that fit the description in the first post.

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 20th Apr '09, 9:40pm   #28

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Bronzed Blogging God(dess)Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew Delivery
Silvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant futureSilvery has a brilliant future

Ah, sorry boss
Old Sun, 29th Nov '09, 8:36pm   #29

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Slightly off topic: I've set my account to block all ads but everytime I come back to the site they are all there, including the pop ups. It's starting to do my head in!
Old Sun, 29th Nov '09, 8:48pm   #30
Montresor
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Online Walkthrough Writer
Mostly Harmless

30k Starfighter Champion! Bomb Bandits Champion! Breakout Champion! Cutie Quake Champion! Driller Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Michu Champion! Treasure Hunt Champion! Driving Mad Champion! Moebius Syndrome Champion!
Like: 97
Liked 88 Times in 53 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 8,211
Level: 27
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieParty of FiveThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!New Delivery
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Montresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud of

When you log on, do you select "Remember Me"? And is your web browser set to delete cookies when you close it?

If cookies are deleted after you leave the site, then the site won't remember you when you return.
Old Sun, 29th Nov '09, 10:00pm   #31

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Nope, the site remembers me, just not my preferences for ads
Old Mon, 30th Nov '09, 11:03am   #32
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnEverybody Loves Me!Wanna Share
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

Silvery, did you select your ad display level and log in here: http://www.sorcerers.net/index.php#sps_login (on the right side?)

If you're logged in, you should see the number of days left in your account displayed in the same spot.

Old Mon, 30th Nov '09, 5:56pm   #33

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Yep, did that. It's been doing it for a couple of days but it seems fine today
Old Mon, 30th Nov '09, 6:10pm   #34
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Odd... which browser are you using? This is all done via cookies so it basically can't be much else but a cookie issue with your browser in one way or another (some interfering Firefox plugin could be problematic too I guess). If it happens again, please take a screenshot or two (of the login box and any of the ads that you see) as that might help me in figuring out what the problem is.

Old Mon, 30th Nov '09, 9:27pm   #35

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Will do El Capitano!

It's IE8 I think
Old Mon, 30th Nov '09, 10:58pm   #36
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

You can see the version in Help/About.

Old Mon, 25th Jan '10, 10:35pm   #37

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Umm...next dumb Silvery comment:

Logged on this morning, got a pop-up (the smiley central thing I think). Anyway, immediatly that it popped up, my security centre went mental and said that it's found a trojan trying to get in.

That's not good, right?
Old Mon, 25th Jan '10, 11:05pm   #38
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Not if it's an actual threat, no... though it's likely a false positive. Could you take a screenshot of it so I could check it out?

Old Tue, 26th Jan '10, 12:11am   #39

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Well it's not there now! I clicked on the quarentine thingey!

Plus...How the heck do you take a screen shot? Seriously Tal, I've been on this site for years. You must have noticed I'm incompetant by now!
Old Tue, 26th Jan '10, 12:46am   #40
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Well, there's about a dozen different ways, but the easiest is probably pressing the Print Screen button (which stores the image of the screen[s] on the clipboard) and then running a graphics program like Paint, pasting the image there (ctrl+v) and then saving it (File -> Save As). Then you can either upload it somewhere or just send it to me via e-mail.

Old Tue, 26th Jan '10, 9:18pm   #41

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Oooooooh

OK, I'll do that if it comes back but I think my anti-virus nuked it
Old Fri, 9th Apr '10, 6:40pm   #42
LKD
Gems: 31/31
Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Like: 40
Liked 49 Times in 35 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,899
Level: 37
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
LKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond reputeLKD has a reputation beyond repute

The ad isn't malicious or anything, but it surely amuses LKD in a "look at the train wreck, honey!" sort of way -- I speak of the "how to survive cheating" ad, where they have a picture of a middle aged woman who looks about as miserable as a human can possibly look. I can't tell you how depressing it is to look at her scrunched up face, pursed lips, and watery eyes every time I scroll to the bottom of the AODA. To me, if they caught some poor woman feeling like that for real, they shouldn't have posted it for reasons of taste. If she's a model (a far more likely scenario) she's REALLY good at looking like someone just tore her heart out (so to speak).
Old Wed, 19th May '10, 9:14pm   #43
The Great Snook
Gems: 30/31
Latest gem: King's Tears

Like: 51
Liked 100 Times in 56 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 11,783
Level: 31
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnWanna ShareJunior Blogger
The Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond repute

I've grown fond of the ad for Quibids. That is the one where they are trying to convince you that you can get an iPad cheap. I think the girl is very pretty. However, I don't recommend anyone going to Quibids as from what I have seen it looks like a total scam/fraud.
Old Thu, 1st Jul '10, 10:47am   #44
Gothmog
SPS Account Holder
Man, a curious beast indeed!

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,454
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Gothmog will become famous soon enough

There's this annoying one that kind of resets every half an hour or so. Not sure exactly how long, i'll try timing it. What's annoying about it is that it pops a new window on a click -anywhere on the screen-.

I'm usually browsing around, writing a post or whatnot, then suddenly it decides to revive and seemingly turns my whole screen to a click_for_popup add. I can't be sure it's an entire screen since i can't see it or predict it, but i haven't noticed the mouse going click_for_link mode either.
I've actually never waited to see what it'll open o.O
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 1st Jul '10, 7:49pm   #45
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

That doesn't help me much unfortunately.

Here's the holy trinity of good reports about problematic ads:

1. Take a screenshot of it.
2. See where the ad points to (target url; you'll usually need to click on the ad to see where it leads to), and copy the url.
3. Describe what the ad is doing that is problematic.

Then send me an e-mail with all of the above (screenshot, target url of the ad, description of why it's a problem) to sorcerer -AT- sorcerers.net and I'll look into it.

I've never encountered what you reported myself.

Old Sun, 28th Nov '10, 9:17pm   #46
Blackthorne TA
SPS Account Holder
Administrator
Master in his Own Mind

Gah! That Turkey Island ad from myfuncards.com better be gone soon. That has got to be the most annoying auto-playing sound track I've heard. At least the mute button in the ad works...
Old Mon, 29th Nov '10, 8:30am   #47
Topken
SPS Account Holder
Elven-dragon wizard

Like: 2
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,305
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnPosting GuruWriters CrampBlogbie
Topken will become famous soon enough

lol i dont see any ads thanks to adblock, so i cant really comment on which ads are annoying and which are just funny
Topken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 1st Dec '10, 11:53pm   #48
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

BTA, which banner spot is it? Btw, you can log into your SPS account and disable ads until I get it sorted.

Topken, the ads displayed on the site are our primary source of income - the more people that block the ads, the harder it is for us to pay the server bills and related site costs every month. So if you enjoy the site, please put sorcerers.net on the list of allowed domains to show you ads. Alternatively, you can get an SPS account which also comes with the option to disable ads across the site.

Old Thu, 2nd Dec '10, 1:08am   #49
Blackthorne TA
SPS Account Holder
Administrator
Master in his Own Mind

I haven't seen it lately, so I think it's gone from the rotation. It was a myfuncards.com spot for Thanksgiving. On the left was a picture that said Turkey Island and it auto-played these jungle drums and some kind of sound effect I assume was supposed to be turkey gibberish. Very annoying, and one day it was coming up over and over again. But like I said there was a mute button in the ad that worked
Old Fri, 3rd Dec '10, 1:46pm   #50
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

BTA, I mean which ad spot on the site/forums was it; there are different ads showing in different locations (e.g. top leaderboard banner or the left or right square spot above the quick reply).