1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kangaxx the wimp

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Jun 16, 2008.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm starting to wonder if I somehow accidentally installed something to nerf Kangaxx. I remember him being one of the hardest Liches to beat in SoA. However, I tried this strategy and beat him without taking any damage.

I took Jaheria, gave her the Staff of Rynn, a scroll of Protection from Undead, an Oil of Speed, and a Potion of Storm Giant Strength. I then had the rest of my party hide on the far side of the coffin. Viconia used the buffing items, then awakened Kangaxx. He made his speech, then did timestop, but his spells didn't seem to do much. He then stood there while Jaheria smacked him around. After transforming, he did nothing while Jaheria put the smack down on him with the Staff of Rynn.

Easiest battle so far. Heck, it wasn't a fight, it was an execution.

Is this a glitch due to some mod, or have I found an easier (and cheesier) way to destroy Kangaxx?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Probably just a glitch where his dialogue doesn't start after he transforms so he just stood there. I had it with Bodhi once in a game. I wasn't complaining though, I'd got there ridiculously early in the game :D

Does the same happen if you reload and try again? Or is there no save to compare it to now?

3. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

My method for Kangaxx (only works in Chapter 6) is use your usual lich tactics to beat him down, then when he transforms, hide your party by the door and have at him with the Slayer. He goes down as easy as Divine Brown.

4. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

No, it’s not a glitch, it’s just cheese. The scroll of Protection from Undead, makes him ignore you completely. So you just have to smack the hell out of him and voila… :D

5. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I personally don't like the Kangaxx fight. I've found that it's all or nothing when battling him - without Prot. from Undead/Magic you stand no chance since there aren't any saves against Imprisonment, with Prot. from Undead/Magic you can't loose (without it you can't win).

During me and my friends last multi-player duo, we just buffed up with Prot. from Undead, equipped the +4 Warhammer vs. Giant-Kin (Kangaxx the Demi-Lich aka. The Floating Head is apparently "giant kin"), and did 1-3 dmg per hit until he finally perished. He couldn't do anything.

Boring fight! Against hard foes I want to have to fight for real, use abilites, take damage, cast spells etc. Fighting Firkraag in Chapter 3 with F/M + F/T was alot more fun. Kangaxx is the worst fight in the best game of all times.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Actually every time I've played the game I beat him without using either scrolls. You do need to get a bit creative, especially if you decide to go in chapter 2, but it's possible. My last attempt was to kill him with Edwin, by himself. It took a few tries (no more than 4 or 5 though) and I was almost screaming from the tension, but the sense of satisfaction... :cool:

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I did try the reload, and things went pretty much the same except that he did make his speech after transforming. Only after the speech, he just stood there and took the pummeling.

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    There's ways to make the fight more interesting. Don't use the protection from undead for one. Korgan, or your berserker is immune to imprisonment within the timeframe of the enrage. Spell trap can be cast by a wild mage/cleric or a wild mage/fighter. Low lvl mage/fighters and cleric/mages can cast Spell Immunity abjuration which also gives you a specific timeframe to beat Kangaxx up. This gives a little more excitement to the battle...

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    My attitude is that the protction from undead scrolls (and the protection from magic scrolls) exist for a reason. They are only available in limited quantities, so you need to use them wisely. I'd say that Kangaxx is most definetly a wise time to use them.

Now I've got to try using a protection from magic scroll on Firkraag and see how that infliences the fight.

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    They exist to make fights against Undead easy as goblin pie. Don't complain about K being "nerfed" if you use those scrolls.

It would be like having the Shield of Balduran and complaining that Beholders are wimps.

Cheesiness is addictive.
    Just say no.:p

11. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Prot. from magic against Mr. F? Natural flames I'd presume...might make a nice toast though. Ho. Ho. Use the scroll on him so he can't cast spells?

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Kangaxx takes damage from the Ring of the Ram and traps. Just have a thief set a trap (or three) and line up to knock the demilich to the traps with the Ring of the Ram. Add Berserking Rage to the mix and Kangaxx isn't a problem -- no cheese required.

13. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hm, I'd say that setting traps for a supposed "friend" (he sais he'll be grateful if you find his bits and pieces) is a bit cheesy. One's choice though.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    By the descriptions in the game, your character would know Kangaxx is no friend. Bringing the most powerful lich in history back to life is a hazardous undertaking -- one that some preparation would be in order to ensure living through the subsequent encounter.

Setting a few traps on the far pathway, with someone ready to blow the lich into them with the Ring of the Ram at the first sign of deception, seems to be justified. You're not setting the traps to go off as soon as he appears (and goes hostile), you're giving the undead villian the benefit of the doubt, but are ready if he decides to show his true colors.

Taking reasonable precautions is not cheese. Trusting the most evil and powerful lich in history to "play fair" is just, plain stupid. Not even Minsc is that stupid.

15. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

But then again, reassembling the most evil and powerful lich in history is just plain stupid. :D

Seriously, if you want to have at him with minimal cheese, don't forget Spell Immunity: Abjuration (and hope he targets your mage(s) rather than your other characters).
    Main problem with taking him down in Chapter 2 (which I've done) is lack of +4 or higher weapons. If you don't have a paladin and Carsomyr, it's rather limited if you want to avoid cheating.

16. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Besides Staff of Rynn and Carsomyr, there's Mace of Destruction and Azuredge? Isn't that all in Chapter 2?

Oh wait. Isn't Flame Tongue supposed to work also?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Don't forget Staff of Magi! It's technically a +1 weapon but it can hit any creature that "needs +X or better" as if it were a +5 weapon. It's a very good weapon in the hands of a mage that has undergone Tenser's Transformation.

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The hammer +1/+4 vs. Giantkin is also treated as +4 for what it can hit in the vanilla game.

19. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Daystar too

20. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

True. I forgot that. And if you do as much quests as possible in Chapter 2, your party could take on Twisted Rune.

Yeah, I saw speztnaz post. It must be a bug. don't you think? As far as I can see, that hammer shouldn't work on Kangaxx.

No. You get a weapon ineffective message in the vanilla game. But IIRC the Sunray works nicely against him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.